DISCUSSION -- January 2015 300-word Writing Challenge (#16)

Field Trip to the Home of Miss Bessie McFadden - (@Cat's Cradle ) The story got clearer the deeper I went, feeling my heart long for her to just move on. Her white hair means she's older than I wanted her to be, meaning she most probably clung to the hope of the stone. Heart breaking story. Good stuff.

MR VICKERS’S ALIEN STONE - (@springs ) Familiar feeling, trying to explain something to someone but nothing gets through. The fact that the boy lost more than just his power of speech and voice makes me want to put more effort into explaining or stating my opinions from now one.

Stay out of the kitchen at Nighttime - (@Ashleyne. B. Watts ) We all had visions or fears as children, but actually living it out or being dragged out of your world forever mus be a hard thing and terrible feeling. Maybe keeping to the rules would not have saved her completely, but just made the ride less scary.

Mouths of Babes - (@Kerrybuchanan ) Great entry, the idea of something as simple, yet when you really see and know what it is no words or questions will ever come to mind. Story makes you sympathize with the dragons and wonder why they did not come back.

Slabs - (@willwallace ) The story grabbed me from the go, the idea is great, knowing they are bad I have no way of controlling the want to help them, but at the same time the help to find a stone and just feel what it feels like. To understand what it is all about.

Ascension - (@Victoria Silverwolf ) Trapped in a world, feeling the urge to escape and wanting to just be in a better place. Yet they make the choice to head back where they belong, tread on with their lives as it should be. What will happen if they don't though? The rock is a form of teleportation ensuring people return to the prison, one where you can see what you left behind, to make you truly long for what you lost. That is just my mind at least.

The Blessing Bough - (@Juliana ) Showed me that even though some people will look down on tradition or other family rituals. We as the owners of our legacy must make sure the tradition's and love stay there for ever.

Of a Pict Song - (@Cascade ) Escaping into the world of our animals is wonderful, the farmer cares for his stock and realize that they too must see things differently to what we do. That is why he is so successful, only he doesn't know that maybe one day it will all be reversed, for the ritual might be real and a success.

I just found this yesterday, and the inspiration picture looked great, so I thought I'd join in. It's my first time doing one of these, so I hope you guys don't mind another challenge noob hogging up your reading:p

Air on a Hill - (@LittleStar ) Sheesh, Debut, Brilliant, I enjoyed your story very much. The story is gripping and after reaching the last few lines I sorta knew what was coming but hoped I was wrong. Shows you some people might think happy endings are different than others.

Amazing story, LittleStar! Really impressive.

And thank you, JLB, for the nice review! CC

So I entered and then read the entries. There are some really cool stories, so great job to everyone who's entered so far!

Sometimes these images create strange ideas, and I went with the first idea that popped in after staring at the picture for a couple minutes.

Just want to echo the thanks for the reviews, to our reviewers across both the 300 and 75 word challenges.

It is always interesting (and helpful) to see what others took from a story, particularly when those others have little or nothing to draw on other than the story itself. It is all very well to assume that one has conveyed what one intended but ultimately only the reader can really judge.

My other general comment, and this also applies to both challenges is an appreciation for the imagination and orginality of the stories. I am conscious that both of my stories are probably more literal in addressing the source material than many (which I will put down to first time apprehension), but I am loving the extent to which others have launched their stories from the theme/ photo.

LittleStar -- The author creates an exotic fantasy world, and with a sure and delicate touch allows us into the hearts of those who dwell there.

Luiglin -- This merry tale manages to have fun with both skeptics and believers, reminding us that things are rarely what they seem.

ratsy -- With insight into the psychology of the oppressed, the author shows the reader how the tables can be turned by fate.

Back