DISCUSSION -- January 2015 300-word Writing Challenge (#16)

I wrote one I can't use, which was way too long, and part of another that I may be able to work around to being something useful.

I had an idea, but then when I wrote it down I realised it was not a story at all. It was possibly a scene from a story, but there was virtually no way to turn it into a story in its own right. So, back to the drawing board.

Well, you're on the right track -- we suffer from that frequently around here!

I, personally, do consider the story-ness when voting, but even so I've been known to post something that I realized later wasn't a story at all. :D

Well, I'm on my third attempt. My fantasy was too cliché, my SF had no ending, so lets see if this one still holds together when I reread it tomorrow. They do say third time's a charm, right? :D

:) Sorry springs! I didn't mean to be first, honest I didn't! I think next time I will wait till at least noon before posting my 300 worder.

LOVE your story...it's very effective, and very fun, indeed; the pacing is wonderful. I tried to jam an awful lot of ideas into mine; I hope there's enough of a story, too. I love it when the 300 worder kicks off! So many great tales to follow.

Since we're allowed to say something about our inspiration without expanding the story (I think? If not mods can slap me, delete this etc etc) it looked a bit like someone had shoved a nice piece of art in a boggy field at the back of a housing estate. Which, of course, made me wonder who'd be such a chancer....

Thanks, CC!

Phewf. In now. I was just about to hit the post button when I thought it looked a bit long so I went back to the Word document I originally wrote it in and discovered that I had been carefully tailoring my story to a 500 word count! Duh.

Back the drawing board and a panicky few minutes and I have something that is hopefully 299 words including the little # separators. Close run thing though. How humiliating it would be to get eliminated in my first ever 300 worder.

I haven't even begun to dream up a story for this one yet. I'm looking forward to seeing what I can come up with though.

My first thought was the object was a harbinger of something bad happening. I had originally written my story with(what I hoped was) a Lovercraftian inspired style. Turns out I can't come close to replicating the mood I wanted, and I threw out all but the first paragraph.

Cat's Cradle -- The author creates both a complex, multi-layered character and an intriguing society in this highly imaginative tale.

springs -- A realistic style of narration is combined with extraordinary events to create a sense of wonder in the reader.

Ashleyne. B. Watts -- The compelling, feverish pace of this story adds to the chilling effect of its conclusion.

Kerrybuchanan -- Through the use of alternating viewpoints, the author makes the alien seem very real and the mundane seem strange.

willwallace -- Through the use of a calm, unhurried style, the author creates a sense of slowly building suspense and tension.

Juliana -- By filling this mythic tale with carefully crafted details, the author brings it to life.

Last edited:
Thank you for the kind words, Victoria! I loved your story--it's very beautiful, and the title is perfect.

Terrific stories so far, one and all! Yours is very effective, Juliana; and Cascade, I think yours is terrific..it's beautifully written. Keep 'em coming, gang! :)

Back