DISCUSSION -- January 2015 300-word Writing Challenge (#16)

Ursa major

Bearly Believable
Staff member
Supporter
The 300-worder is up. As always with the longer form, entries can be posted from the 10th of January, but that doesn't mean no-one can talk about the challenge.

And as ever, the image is only there to provide inspiration; your story does not have to reference it, even indirectly.

Such a cool looking photo. I can't wait to see the tales from everyone for this month. I'm so pooped-out from a long, tough day at work, my mind is too squishy to think clearly. And I've just looked at Victoria's challenge, and I was so stunned and lost for words, that I couldn't even post anything, but "............." (so I didn't post any thought - I just stared). However, I'm sure inspiration will strike me at any moment for the 75.

And as for the 300...hmm.........:rolleyes:

I've been looking forward to trying the writing challenges, now I'm finding it daunting but really looking forward to reading what people come up with for this image.

Hi, Cascade! Don't be daunted. Remember that you don't have to interpret the picture literally or write a story explaining it. It's just there for inspiration. You can choose any element within the picture to build a story around, and it's whatever you see when you look at it—which might not be exactly what is there. If you look back at some of the previous challenges, you will discover what a wide variety of ways people can view the same image.

I have to say, putting aside any ideas for stories that it might evoke, this is a truly fascinating image. Love the almost hypnotic design, brilliant.

I am already intrigued to see what it inspires, this could be a lot of fun. (Not that it isn't normlly....)

Cascade, just to echo Teresa, there's no need to feel daunted! There's plenty of time to consider the image and think of a story, though some of us never manage to do that until the very last day.

If you're at all worried about people criticising your story, you can rest easy. Everyone gives only praise and good wishes for the stories, and not merely because we have a rule that critiques and criticism aren't allowed here. (We do have a separate thread where members can post their stories to get critical feedback if they wish, but that's purely voluntary -- and only available once that month's voting is over.)

So, please have a go!

Thanks all for the encouragement. I will have a go. I have a germ of an idea, the question thus becomes whether I can tell it in 300 words. I guess that is the point.

It can be difficult -- but it's worse with only 75 words!

I don't know if you have someone you can show your story to when you've done, but I find that invaluable. The Judicial Helpmeet isn't a writer, and not much of a reader either, truth be told, so he's ideal for assessing whether the story is intelligible as written -- if he doesn't understand it, then I know it needs to be clearer, and some revision is required, but if he does follow what's going on then I'm usually OK.

The other useful feature of a second reader is acting as counter-in-chief -- it's important to check and double-check word count so you don't go over the 300.

Yes, have a go, please, Cascade! The daunt-tremors pass quickly, honestly they do, and soon you will be confident enough to post weird, wacky, mind-expanding, (sometimes) touching stories, just as the rest of us do! I'd recommend several things for your first few challenge entries...after you've finished your first story, try not to just post it immediately at the story thread. Let it sit a few days, then re-read, and see if there are any improvements to be made. And count and recount, as has been mentioned. It is a hard thing, and a sad one, but a story will be voided from a challenge if it is over the word count...a writer cannot then re-enter the same challenge.

But these are tremendously fun events..and tremendously inspiring, and they are wonderful practice for a writer.

And HareBrain, I loved the photo! I had a story idea in moments fortunately, and I finished my entry yesterday! Just waiting for the 10th, now. :) CC

The good thing about the forced wait of the 300 challenge is having time to rethink your entry. First idea turned out a little meh, but had another idea yesterday night, let's see if it works out!

Almost immediately I had a story idea, and banged something out fairly quickly. But I will take Cat's advice, let it sit for a few days, reread it, and see if it holds up.

I completely changed mine. Same story, different voice, and I'm happier. I even sent it to the word-counting pixie to check so I doubt I'll touch it again unless anything really jars in 5 days. :D

Back