Descriptions of Male 'Pretty' Without Cliche

Michael Colton

This is one of those questions I feel dumb for asking but have wanted to ask. What are some ways of describing a more 'feminine' or 'pretty' male character that are not cliche, awkward, cheesy, or some other undesirable trait? I find it very difficult to describe a character as such without envisioning the reader rolling their eyes as they read it. Note I am not aiming for a way of describing handsome or good-looking, but a more specific look.

As usual, if I put this in the wrong section feel free to move it.

Maybe 'ethereal' is a word you can use along side some simpler words to direct the reader's imagination.

What are some ways of describing a more 'feminine' or 'pretty' male character that are not cliche, awkward, cheesy, or some other undesirable trait?
An interesting question that I might be interested in the answer to.

But does pretty always mean feminine? I suppose if a man has a narrow jaw rather than large and square, very smooth cheeks, long lashes and no visible Adam's Apple he might have a feminine prettiness? Nice legs? Delicate fingers and small hands? Sounds like 'Finely built'.

There is of course much variation in Men and Women and the physical appearance is of course no guide as to personality or sexual orientation.

Of course in 19th & 18th C writing Women may be described as Handsome and Men as Pretty (perhaps due to choice of clothes?). Perhaps the answer lies with Jane Austen?
36869.jpg

You are looking somewhat pretty yourself this morning :)

You might find it easier to avoid cliche by finding interesting ways to describe a couple of specific features that suggest that overall look, rather than trying to summarise it.

You should also pay attention to the POV that's doing the describing.

As a quick throwaway, though, I think there's nothing wrong with "pretty" itself. It's like "he said" -- readers register the meaning without much noticing the actual word. As you say yourself, the difficulty with this kind of thing is that the language often becomes too noticeable and seems absurd or laboured.

To be honest it's difficult to say how one might describe this person if you don't tell us what the specific look is, and what other undesirable traits you want to avoid.

There's a whole bunch of words I could think of using for a feminine man: delicate, fair-faced, prepossessing, fetching, captivating, arresting, charming, appealing, striking, personable, dapper, graceful, becoming, comely (used mainly for women, so use of this possibly could work), pleasant, adorable, winsome, sweet...ok, I'm using a thesaurus. But you get the picture there's loads of words for 'pretty'. :)

Ah, my favourite subject. :D I tend not to describe characters in detail unless there's a reason (eg. in my WiP - called The Beautiful Man, actually! - one of the MCs is obsessed with an actor, the beautiful man of the title, so she describes him in loving detail. None of the other characters are described much because nobody cares what they look like).

But anyway, there's nothing wrong with just saying pretty. Or, my fave, beautiful. Saying a man is handsome gives a different mental image to saying he's beautiful, in my opinion. And I much prefer the beautiful ones.

The term that spring to my mind would be "delicately featured". It implies an overall softness in the face. You could describe his frame/body as "slight". If the character is also effeminate in nature then you could round it off by describing a couple of mannerisms that are typically more female. Perhaps give an example of where the character has actually been mistaken for a woman (in appearance and initial first impressions) and mention how it was either embarrassing or intentional? Maybe also the term "elfin"? But I don't know if that also implies pointy ears and such...

I'm far from being a decent writer, so these may actually fall under the category of cliche!

I tend to use "androgynous" for a straightforward, matter of fact way of describing what I think you are after, as I myself am a bit feminine looking and prefer "androgynous" over things like pretty or finely built. Not to say that there is anything wrong with using those words, it depends on the eye of the beholder. I switch POVs in my WIP and have a lot of fun with varying the way I describe people to say more about the one doing the looking.

Thanks for all the responses, folks.

An interesting question that I might be interested in the answer to.

But does pretty always mean feminine? I suppose if a man has a narrow jaw rather than large and square, very smooth cheeks, long lashes and no visible Adam's Apple he might have a feminine prettiness? Nice legs? Delicate fingers and small hands? Sounds like 'Finely built'.

There is of course much variation in Men and Women and the physical appearance is of course no guide as to personality or sexual orientation.

Of course in 19th & 18th C writing Women may be described as Handsome and Men as Pretty (perhaps due to choice of clothes?). Perhaps the answer lies with Jane Austen?
36869.jpg

You are looking somewhat pretty yourself this morning :)

Indeed, there are a variety forms, standards, impressions, etc., within the topic. Beyond simply trying to avoid cliche or cheesy descriptions, I also wish to partially avoid some of the impressions or connotations you mentioned.

You might find it easier to avoid cliche by finding interesting ways to describe a couple of specific features that suggest that overall look, rather than trying to summarise it.

You should also pay attention to the POV that's doing the describing.

As a quick throwaway, though, I think there's nothing wrong with "pretty" itself. It's like "he said" -- readers register the meaning without much noticing the actual word. As you say yourself, the difficulty with this kind of thing is that the language often becomes too noticeable and seems absurd or laboured.

Do they register it that way? Perhaps it is just my upbringing, but I imagine readers almost wincing from it due to the phrase 'pretty boy'. But yes, you hit it spot on with your last sentence - it can quickly become absurd or labored if one tries too hard with this sort of thing.

Describe from the character POV - make it subjective, and not objective. In other words, use your POV character's frames of references, interests, quirks, voice, to give the description.

Hm, yes that might make it more interesting - it would also allow my MC to deposit some emotion into the topic of his own appearance. And I suppose I could also use actions to do it, as well - one perhaps does not have to use as many descriptors if there is some reference to the character shaping his eyebrows, for a somewhat silly example.

To be honest it's difficult to say how one might describe this person if you don't tell us what the specific look is, and what other undesirable traits you want to avoid.

Well, a famous of example of male pretty would be Miyavi - though my character does not have the visual kei fashion sense he had back when he reached stardom.

Ah, my favourite subject. :D I tend not to describe characters in detail unless there's a reason (eg. in my WiP - called The Beautiful Man, actually! - one of the MCs is obsessed with an actor, the beautiful man of the title, so she describes him in loving detail. None of the other characters are described much because nobody cares what they look like).

But anyway, there's nothing wrong with just saying pretty. Or, my fave, beautiful. Saying a man is handsome gives a different mental image to saying he's beautiful, in my opinion. And I much prefer the beautiful ones.

Indeed, there are certainly different mental images, connotations, and associations with the two.

Last edited:
I was going to say you should ask Mouse, but she's already been here. :D

Do they register it that way? Perhaps it is just my upbringing, but I imagine readers almost wincing from it due to the phrase 'pretty boy'. But yes, you hit it spot on with your last sentence - it can quickly become absurd or labored if one tries too hard with this sort of thing.

I don't know about anyone else, but "pretty boy" is a perfectly apt description of the kind of looks you're after. I know in some places/cultures, it means specifically gay, but in my mind it's more what's called "metrosexual" now. Back in high school, my gay male friend and I used to like the same "pretty boys" -- some of them went his way and some mine (though none of them ever went for either of us, but that's a whole different issue), but they were the sort who would be in magazine ads for watches and cologne and clothes, and in the fabulous Nestle white chocolate commercial that seems to have been lost to time because I can't find it anywhere on YouTube. Come to think of it, you could say your character reminds someone of a model in a commercial or an ad, if it's in a world with such things.

If you hadn't said that Miyavi was a man, I'd have guessed from those two images you linked to that he was a woman.

Which brings me to a question: does the PoV character know that the male in question is a male? If not, you should be easily able to give the impression you want by your PoV character saying that the person is a nice looking/pretty/whatever woman and then discovering that "she" is a he.

This is an interesting subject. What makes us attracted to certain types, what features make one pretty and another handsome. Take for instance Orlando Bloom, I think I would be correct to say he is pretty rather than handsome? And say, Chris Hemsworth is mhandsome rather than pretty? But what defines those descriptions?
Another thing I personaly find funny is the idea people have of what defines an alpha male. In the movies, he is handsome and often charming. Yet in real life the alpha males tend to be way more rugged and hard looking. For instance, if you had to follow either ( and this is where it matters i'm afraid) Brad Pitt or Vinnie Jones into a violent situation where your survival was at stake, which would you choose?

All of these things are judged on looks alone ( i know your mum said looks arnt important, but the fact is, they are) . When you choose a mate, your brain is looking for good breeding stock, when you are looking for protection ( and leadership, the two are closely linked) you look for someone tough. Remember we are still wired at an animal level and our insticts are usualy right.

Physical characteristics are a very interesting subject.

I was going to say you should ask Mouse, but she's already been here. :D

I don't know about anyone else, but "pretty boy" is a perfectly apt description of the kind of looks you're after. I know in some places/cultures, it means specifically gay, but in my mind it's more what's called "metrosexual" now. Back in high school, my gay male friend and I used to like the same "pretty boys" -- some of them went his way and some mine (though none of them ever went for either of us, but that's a whole different issue), but they were the sort who would be in magazine ads for watches and cologne and clothes, and in the fabulous Nestle white chocolate commercial that seems to have been lost to time because I can't find it anywhere on YouTube. Come to think of it, you could say your character reminds someone of a model in a commercial or an ad, if it's in a world with such things.

The aspects you mention with your friend is one of the elements I am mostly trying to avoid - whether that is possible I suppose is another question. I'd like to have a distinctive appearance imagined without bringing along other connotations someone might bring to the character. But as I said, that may just be unavoidable.

If you hadn't said that Miyavi was a man, I'd have guessed from those two images you linked to that he was a woman.

Which brings me to a question: does the PoV character know that the male in question is a male? If not, you should be easily able to give the impression you want by your PoV character saying that the person is a nice looking/pretty/whatever woman and then discovering that "she" is a he.

Hmm, I never thought of this. I shall explore it.

This is an interesting subject. What makes us attracted to certain types, what features make one pretty and another handsome. Take for instance Orlando Bloom, I think I would be correct to say he is pretty rather than handsome? And say, Chris Hemsworth is mhandsome rather than pretty? But what defines those descriptions?
Another thing I personaly find funny is the idea people have of what defines an alpha male. In the movies, he is handsome and often charming. Yet in real life the alpha males tend to be way more rugged and hard looking. For instance, if you had to follow either ( and this is where it matters i'm afraid) Brad Pitt or Vinnie Jones into a violent situation where your survival was at stake, which would you choose?

All of these things are judged on looks alone ( i know your mum said looks arnt important, but the fact is, they are) . When you choose a mate, your brain is looking for good breeding stock, when you are looking for protection ( and leadership, the two are closely linked) you look for someone tough. Remember we are still wired at an animal level and our insticts are usualy right.

Physical characteristics are a very interesting subject.

By and large, I personally think a lot of the 'instinct' stuff is overstated and difficult to prove - but it the entire subject is interesting nonetheless.

By and large, I personally think a lot of the 'instinct' stuff is overstated and difficult to prove.

Instinct is what mattered most before we imposed a set of rules on who we are supposed to find attractive etc. The media has so much to answer for.

"Fine-featured" is what I'd go for. In fact I think I did in my last WIP and later on, one of the readers (springs?) queried if he was gay. Although that might be because I'd flirted with the idea of having him gay and that may have influenced my writing sub-consciously. I might also have described his face as "bird-like."

Ha! "Pretty" was exactly how I described Orlando after LOTR came out. I saw him being interviewed last week and thought he's a lot less pretty now, although I still wouldn't object to looking like him!

Finely chiseled? Makes him sound handsome but still manly (you'd never describe a girl that way).

cute?
vibrant?
manicured?
polished?
shiny?
doll-like?
baby-faced?
girlish?

What is the character's status in society? I've got a character who is a pampered prince and he's not rugged. I have some characters remark at how his appearance is so princely and noble, the neatly combed hair, the soft hands, and so forth. Other characters, who are being rude, insult his pretty baby cheeks. So you could play with that technique of anti-description, if you will, by having someone tease or insult him for being so dainty looking.