Beta readers wanted for Kingdom Asunder (medieval/high fantasy)

thaddeus6th

Supporter
I've just finished modifying the fifth draft of my WIP, Kingdom Asunder, and think it's now at the stage where it'd benefit from beta-reading.

It's just over 100,000 words as it stands. The story tells the beginning (it's the first part of a trilogy) of a civil war that takes hold when an attempt on the King's life fails, and the Kingdom of Denland splits between supporting William Penmere, the King, and his uncle and Regent, John Esden.

It's set in the same world as Bane of Souls and Journey to Altmortis, but is written to be entirely accessible to people who have read neither of those books.

I also plan to give away a free, abridged version, covering the events entirely relating to the Esden side of the conflict (which amounts to about 43,000 words, at the moment). If possible, it'd be good to get someone's view on whether that holds together as a single, separate volume and would entice someone to buy the full version.

Obviously, the more beta-reading someone can do the better, but even if your time is short and you'd only be able to read a few thousand words, that would be very useful. The start, the end, certain battle scenes and the romantic liaisons (not my forte) could all use a good going over.

So, whether it's a little or a lot, if you'd be interested please let me know either by replying here or sending me a private message.

I'm not good at epic in general but would be cool to look over some standalone romantic scenes (it's the worldbuilding which makes me so woeful at epic - I want less and the readers want more....)

I'd love to beta read for you @thaddeus6th and I haven't read the others in the series so maybe I can tell you if it works as a stand-alone. I love high fantasy so it will be a pleasure if you'll have me. Bear in mind I'm quite novice as a writer and beta reader. You could pm Springs for cv as she and I swap chapters from time to time.

Thanks to the replies so far (of course, still very happy if more people want to offer to help).

I enjoy reading. But I read fast, which may be why I'm rubbish at spotting missing or misspelled words. I think I'm also poor at expressing why I like or dislike something. So I'm happy to read, but it's harder to say if any feedback would be useful.

Haven't read the others but ill read it over the Xmas break. Feel free to send it. I'll feedback what I can mate

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi. I'm new to this site but I've checked stuff for people before and would be happy to take a look at what you've got and give you some feedback. It will be an honest opinion, though, but in a positive manner. Let me know if you want me to jump on.

Ok, for the time being I think that'll do. I know most (maybe all) won't be able to read all 100k (or 43k), but that many beta readers should be enough to give the most important bits a good solid going over.

Cheers to everyone who offered to help, it's much appreciated.

Hey Scientia. I was after both [not the same people, obviously, that'd mean reading half the story twice].

I've got quite a few beta readers now, so I'm not after any more at the minute.