Now that you know...

biodroid

A.D.D.
The series is finished, would you still recommend the Wheel of Time series even though there are 4-5 poorly written books that have almost no plot advancement to them? I am considering taking the plunge but have been put off because of the poor reviews of certain books especially Crossroads of Twilight. I know there are 14 books and I know RJ passed away without finishing the series.

No.
It gets really tedious. There is enough material for a five or six book set.
It's got some interesting characters and ideas, but ultimately you lose patience with them. Even before he died it went off badly.
Imagine LOTR expanded to 15 books with no extra adventures, characters or plot.

I have 13 of them, but I have only read 11.

I put down the first book after about 200 pages, just something about it didn't grab me, the first 200 pages seems to be nothing but a conversation in front of a tavern, and I thought: Friggin 'ell, is the whole book like this?

Part of me thinks I would like to go back and try it again, but again, I'm put off by all the reviews that say there's about 7 books which are nothing but "blar, de-blar, de-blar, de-blar, blar-blar."

I'm put off by all the reviews that say there's about 7 books which are nothing but "blar, de-blar, de-blar, de-blar, blar-blar."
Well, maybe five.
Though 14 - 6 = 8, which suggests 8 books worth of padding. But I might have underestimated the useful amount of material.

Perhaps use it as basis for a Soap on Radio?

If you can immerse yourself in the world that RJ created then you can read the entire series. Yes it does flag in the middle, but his writing is good enough to suck you in and keep you involved. You're in the fortunate position that you can read them continously and not have to wait years between books. Brandon Sanderson did a pretty fair job of winding things up and certainly his books moved the series along at a much greater pace.
As a shortcut you can always check out the reread at Tor.com of those books you don't fancy.

I went through all the books in about nine months last year, and documented most of it in a series of threads here. No, the books aren't perfect. Heaven knows I ranted about a fair few things in said threads. But at the end of it all, I am very glad I read them, am looking forward to one day going through them again, and would count the last two books as two of my all-time favourite books.

For me, it wasn't any particular books that dragged, more plotlines. And even then, with so many characters doing things all over the place, there's plenty to entertain you elsewhere. Even notorious Book 10 wasn't all that bad for me, because I like political dealings.

I think Jordan's world building is superb, and that's coming from someone who generally isn't at all interested in that stuff. His magic system is wonderfully unique. His characterisation is somewhat lacking and tends to make background characters all the same, but the main characters are all individual enough and doing all of their own massive, interesting things that it isn't too awful. People are right to comment on his portrayal of women in particular, but, hell, at least he actually has women in powerful roles, normal roles, all kinds of roles, influencing, doing, reacting, being agents of change.

Really, he just needed a ruthless editor. Once Branderson gets on board and cuts out the 'smoothing skirts/sniffing/clattering bracelets' repetition, the story practically sweeps along.

So great world building, huge, world-changing events, a literal battle of good vs evil, a nice antidote to all the gritty, dark stuff that's popular now, a unique magic system, and some very memorable scenes -- I'd say the books have a lot going for them.

One of these days I'll have to get around to rereading the series. The overall story arc and many of the characters, plots, factions, and how magic is used, for me, were very engrossing. Yes, some of the books dragged on about tangential side plots, and the series probably should have been wrapped up sooner than it was. But I was eagerly awaiting each new book as they came out, and the ending was satisfying enough.

Back