What do you think Are the Best Classic Fantasy And Science Fiction Books and Stories of All Time?

Hal Colebatch wrote The Colonel's Tiger. In my mind, it is the best story from the Man-Kzin Wars. Takes place in the 1800's.

Ive not read any of the Man-Kzin Wars stores. I know Larry Created Kazinti in Ringworld and they make an appearance into Star trek The animated series. Thats about as much as know about them.

There are fifteen story collections by different authors and another several novels in the Man-Kzin series. Some of the stories are outstanding. The Heroic Myth of Lieutenant Nora Argamentine and its follow-up Survivor by Don Kingsbury come to mind. I consider this series to be a must-read.

There are fifteen story collections by different authors and another several novels in the Man-Kzin series. Some of the stories are outstanding. The Heroic Myth of Lieutenant Nora Argamentine and its follow-up Survivor by Don Kingsbury come to mind. I consider this series to be a must-read.

Thanks .:cool:

You might want ot check out Bolo and Rogue Bolo by Keith Laumer who also wrote the Retief Diplomat at large series. The Bolo stories revolves around a weapon called The Bolo Continental siege engine. which is a super battle tank, large [owerfully armed they are super intelligent and loyal to mankind . Other writers did confutation stories and novels about the Bolo tanks . a fews back ther new anthology Bolos For the Honor of the Regiment is book one in this anthology series You have Bolo stories by such authors as by David Weber, Willian Kieth, David Drake and Mercedes Lackey. Good stories too. :cool:(y)

Last edited:
I love the Man-Kzin Wars series. They are some of the best war stories that don't actually involve the wars.

Thanks .:cool:

You might want ot check out Bolo and Rogue Bolo by Keith Laumer who also wrote the Retief Diplomat at large series. The Bolo stories revolves around a weapon called The Bolo Continental siege engine. which is a super battle tank, large [owerfully armed they are super intelligent and loyal to mankind . Other writers did confutation stories and novels about the Bolo tanks . a fews back ther new anthology Bolos For the Honor of the Regiment is book one in this anthology series You have Bolo stories by such authors as by David Weber, Willian Kieth, David Drake and Mercedes Lackey. Good stories too. :cool:(y)
The Bolo stories are great. I got into them after picking up the Steve Jackson game Ogre.

The Humanoids by Jack Williamson

Solaris by Stanislaw Lem

Though vastly different works , both truly great books ! :cool:(y)

Edmund Cooper. Personal favourites are The Cloud Walker and A Far Sunset.

His books tend to share a similar theme, but I found them really enjoyable and they opened the door of Science Fiction Wider for me.

Momo and The Neverending Story by Michael Ende
Out of the Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis
The War of the Worlds and The Time Machine by H.G. Wells
A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift

The Day of the Triffids, The Midwhich Cuckoos, and Chocky (John Wyndham)
Fahrenheit 451/The Pedestrian (Ray Bradbury)
The City and the Stars, Rendezvous with Rama, and 2001
The Island of Doctor Moureau
Neuromancer (William Gibson) - I didn't actually like the way this was written but the world and ideas that Gibson creates I think make it worth the read.