What do you think Are the Best Classic Fantasy And Science Fiction Books and Stories of All Time?

Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate that fantasy is not your cup of tea. But to rule something out purely based on its length is just odd. I enjoy reading books and if I find something I feel is good then the longer the better, simply put the longer the story is the more hours of enjoyment I can take from reading it.

Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate that fantasy is not your cup of tea. But to rule something out purely based on its length is just odd. I enjoy reading books and if I find something I feel is good then the longer the better, simply put the longer the story is the more hours of enjoyment I can take from reading it.

I agree with this, but I still have to work up to long works. Plus there's a pile of shorter works that I can finish in more reasonable times.

Did I mention I really like short stories?

Just saying

Randy M

They way I see it, 'good stuff' is hard to come by (who was it that said 'nine tenths of everything is crap'?) and when I've finished I have a long search for something decent to read. And when I do find it, the longer it is the longer is the time before I have to start looking again.

I do hope that last sentence made sense....

Last edited:
They way I see it, 'good stuff' is hard to come by (who was it that said 'nine tenths of everything is crap'?) and when I've finished I have a long search for something decent to read. And when I do find it, the longer it is the longer is the time before I have to start looking again.

"ninety percent of everything is crap" -Theodore Sturgeon
Sturgeon's law - Wikipedia

However, the percentage is higher for fantasy. And there are penalties for people who do not remember the writer of "Amok Time".

Brooks, Jordan, Feist, Wiess & Hickman. Yup, there's a lot of poor quality fantasy out there but you shouldn't rule it out just because of the size of the content.

In this age of a plethora of reading choices, I have read several "unknown authors". I've found only a few to be a waste of time.

Sometimes, you find a hidden jewel or two , that everyone else has missed.

Sometimes, you find a hidden jewel or two , that everyone else has missed.
More, I'm looking to be entertained; and quite frankly, most stories are entertaining. I'm not looking for that "gem", or the next Heinlein or Tolkien.

More, I'm looking to be entertained; and quite frankly, most stories are entertaining. I'm not looking for that "gem", or the next Heinlein or Tolkien.

One day I picked up a fantasy anthology edited by Karl Edward Wagner Echos of Valor III and in it, I found all kinds of great short stories by writers I knew and by one writer whom I didn't know. His name was Nictzin Dyhalis he was a chemist who decided to try his had at a writing . , He penned 13 stories in all . This anthology contained 3 of his stories

1. The Red Witch
2. The Sapphire Goddess
3. The Sea Witch

These. three tales were wonderful and entertaining. You would have liked them very much. Nictzin Dyhalis was a very talented writer and it's pity that he wasn't able to write more stories then he did.

Last edited:
No, no, no, you silly Chroniculars. I was merely meeting one quote from Frankenstein with another. Halloween is just down the street, after all.:eek:

Last edited: