BYU Creative Writing Lectures

Shams

Hi everyone,

Has anyone else here watched the Brandon Sanderson Creative Writing lectures on youtube? BYU has 2014's up and writeaboutdragons has 2012 and 2013.

It would be interesting to compare notes with others who've studied them.

Wonderful, I'll look the threads up over there. Thank you.

I know this is an old thread, but I see Brandon is posting his 2020 series to his channel this term, which is the first batch since his 2016 set.

I'll add them to my running playlist of all of his writing lectures as they come out.

I like the sanderson's lectures . I have only seen the older ones , so i'm interested in revisiting them with the new versions . One of the things I like about them is he tends not write much on the board, So you can play them on tube when your doing something else
Thanks for posting

I have watched many of his past lectures, seen most, studied his writing style in his books to try replicating it to fit my style which is a mix between Rick Riordan, Brandon Sanderson, and some of Christopher Paulini, all 3 were very influential authors to create my style. I have been working on a book for 8 years, getting close to the final draft, it's an epic and the story format I used is his 5 act structure with smaller parts split into segments so I don't have too many promises to keep in the beginning. There is a common interweaving character thread according to his teachings. I need to cut out words and references. Ernest Cline and Stephen King showed me what not to do when it comes to book writing, by placing yourself in the novel and making references that is pop culture which really ruins the book's immersion.

Last edited: