Agents of Shield S106 - FZZT

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
From wiki:
Agent Coulson and the team investigate a series of bizarre deaths involving levitation and electrostatic anomalies. Although the team initially assumed the deaths were caused by some form of weapon, the cause of the anomalies is discovered to be an alien virus found on a Chitauri helmet salvaged from the Battle of New York that turns the unwitting victims into electrostatic bombs. When Agent Simmons is infected by the fatal virus, she and Agent Fitz work feverishly on a cure while Coulson ignores a direct order from Agent Blake to sacrifice Simmons to save the rest of the team. With time running out and unaware that their last attempt at a vaccine was actually successful, Simmons leaps from the plane, though Ward manages to save her and inoculate her before she dies. When Coulson's continued attempts to discover why he feels different after his "return" come to naught, May points out that it would be impossible not to be changed by his seeming death, alluding to having gone through her own life-shattering incident. The Chitauri helmet is delivered to Agent Blake, who warns Coulson of the consequences of disobeying a direct order from headquarters.

---

Strange electro-magnetism and deaths - a very interesting mystery this week indeed.

A real strength of this show is the continued focus on the humanity of those affected - in this instance, the surviving firefighter who was dying of that infection.

I knew from the spark earlier that Fitz had probably become infected by something, and I expected her to be saved at the last minute.

But what I absolutely did not expect was:

her actually jumping out from the plane to her death!! Only to be saved by Ward jumping out after her!!

Also - very interestingly - was Coulson's face-off with his CO about following orders. I suspect we're being drip-fed a plot point that will eventually see this team going rogue as it connects with Captain America 2.

Last edited: