DISCUSSION -- December 2014 75 Word Writing Challenge

the site used to **** words like B******d for us - does the new one not do it?

I don't want to seem a prude - anyone who has read my books can account for my use of the good old Ulster venacular with its myriad swear words. But I often question the need for them in 75 words and most of the ones used this month could have been replaced I think (bar one entry, which was using a particular voice and which was mild, anyway.) I think if you look at something like Alc's entry, it's easy to see that the tone can be kept (I just bet that Gran has a word or two she knows...) without the need to take it further and it's more effective for it. But it's not just language but imagery - again, we're writers and should be able to convey subtlety without the need for gore? (Says me who wrote a 300 from the mind of a serial killer....)

I'm pretty sure you're not a prude, springs. Nor am I. I use the full force of my language, learnt in places far to the North of where I am now, but keep the best(?:eek:) of it for where it is most appropriate. Otherwise it loses all effect.

Personally, I don't like horror - I've seen enough nasty stuff in real life - but I recognise the genre as a well-loved and most useful medium. Again, though, I think shock-horror can be ineffective after a while, whereas subtlety can be incredible...drip-by-drip, increasing the tension, until...bang!

Oh, scantily-clad platypi? That reminds me of one of my biology lectures at uni...

Well done Victoria!

(I think an issue with swearing and explicit images in the challenges is that people aren't forewarned -- in fact, since we're family friendly, they should expect the opposite. It's not like if I go and read some horror, when I'm expecting blood and non-euclidean dog monsters eating their way into people's hearts etc.)

I think most of us have been the proverbial frog in the pan of slowly-warming water here, not really noticing as the words kept heating up, and Bob has just leaped in after having been outside for a while.

As for my own story's origins, I had the first line almost immediately upon seeing the theme and genre (well, actually, I started with "he drifted through my door like a blot of undigested beef", but when I went to look at the story it turned out the blot was mustard and that didn't sound right, so it turned into a fragment of an underdone potato instead) and then I attempted to wrestle the rest of the story into 75 words. I'm still not happy with the presentation of the three spirits, but I gave up arguing with them.

Congrats Victoria

I agree about the language and don't this it's necessary. That being said, my story was probably a little over the line...Some of our stories tend to walk the line of safe and fun, and dark and awful. If we take a step back behind the line we can have some great entries still I think

Congratulations Victoria!
Sorry about that judge, but to me you both won. You and Missy look awesome as Silver Belles anyways.

And if my offering was family unfriendly in any respect, my sincere apologies.
It was taken from the film, its a wonderful life, obviously, and I thought I might be able to squeak it through as both persons in the film that jumped off the bridge survived. I did have Clarence taking Mr soggy captain home at one point but that was before i needed to cut the words down.
I chose to interpret noir as the whole milleu of late twenties and depression era culture, hence the Frank Capra.

Alchemist that platypus story sounds hilarious!

(Looks nervously at mailbox after suspicious sleigh belles are heard)

Congratulations, Victoria.

Christmas always reminds me of children running downstairs and tearing open their presents like adorable savages; I tried to think of a way to make this more interesting. The rest of the story slotted into place as I typed. I tried to give it the effect of a hardboiled noir horror. I think I went a little too dark.

I'll do my best to keep my stories much more tame and family friendly in future. As always, I'm already looking forward to next month's challenge :)

I started with "he drifted through my door like a blot of undigested beef", but when I went to look at the story it turned out the blot was mustard and that didn't sound right, so it turned into a fragment of an underdone potato instead

I did notice that there was more of gravy than the grave about your story ...

I'll do my best to keep my stories much more tame and family friendly in future.

I don't believe we are looking for stories that are tame. Stories can be just as chilling without overt shocks or gore. They can be just as hard-edged without expletives. It's basically a matter of using subtlety and nuance instead of going for something in-your-face. Of course that is harder to achieve in 75 words, but that's part of the challenge, isn't it? It's all about writing effectively and memorably within the limitations: length, theme, genre. Sometimes that forces us to dig a little deeper and be more creative.

The noir genre is a good example of that. When they were making those movies in the thirties and forties, they had to get everything past the censors, who had very rigid standards. And yet those movies are very far from tame.

So I hope that people won't feel discouraged by these reminders about keeping things family friendly, but be stimulated by the challenge of it instead. Our members are wonderfully creative people -- even those who don't think of themselves as writers! -- and I have faith that they can do this and produce wonderfully creative stories at the same time.

I agree. The scariest stories I've read for ages have been middle grade, with all the constraints of writing for that age group. Doll Bones and The Spook's Apprentice are really, really scary books.

And on another note: Here is the story I decided not to use. It was supposed to be funny, but I thought it wasn't nearly funny enough (or perhaps funny at all).

A TYPICAL DAY IN THE LIFE OF DETECTIVE JOE THURSDAY

"Just the facts, Father."

"They demolished the figures of the Holy Family."

"I see. Some clown crept in, and crushed the church crèche."

"You might say tha-- Yes! I smelled greasepaint afterwards. One of our neighbors entertains at children's parties.

"We'll take him in and ask a few questions."

Later:

"Another case closed. The clown cracked under questioning. Said it was all those screaming six-year-olds; he went a little crazy."

It was inspired by the conversation about Jack Webb's voice at the beginning of this thread. That put me in mind of a Christmas episode of Dragnet, where someone stole a statue of baby Jesus from a Catholic church. I don't remember how it came out or who did it, but there was a conversation between the detective and the priest that I have always remembered. (Friday: "You leave the church open all night so that any thief could get in?" Priest: "Especially a thief.") Mine is not the same story or in the same serious tone, but that is where the basic idea came from.

A fun story, Teresa. I've never seen any of the TV series, so I know of it only through the film with Dan Ackroyd, which is probably not representative of the original!

~~~

I'm going to try and keep on top of the Challenge stats this year, instead of having to do several months all in one go which induces eye- and brain-strain. So here are the details for the year to date.

After 9 months of the Challenge year we've had a total of 420 entries providing 400 votes - the gap between the two figures has grown this month as we had the largest discrepancy with 50 entries but only 41 votes, which is a great shame. We had 5 new entrants join the 75 worders in December, which brings the total of newbies for the year to 32.

And racing ahead of the pack at the three-quarter mark is Victoria, with a stunning 28 votes, pushing TDZ back into second place with 22 votes, where Juliana is snapping at her heels with 21 votes. Cat's Cradle is 4th with 20, I've blagged my way into 5th with 19, and Teresa and Bowler are equal 6th with 16, forcing alchemist down 2 places to 8th with his 15, while Remedy is at equal 9th place with Ashleyne with 13.

So the wolf indeed ripped a chunk out of the zebra's stripey hide, but will the zebra turn the tables and regain the lead in the New Year? Will Juliana make the leap over them both? With women taking 5 of the top 7 positions, will CC and Bowler try wearing dresses to gain an advantage? Will alchemist's professional expertise be required? All this and more coming soon...

will CC and Bowler try wearing dresses to gain an advantage?

Yes..yes, I certainly would consider any sort of garb for an additional vote here and there; photos may be circulated, under the right circumstances. :)

Wow, amazing stats, TJ. I'm truly surprised that this was Victoria's first 75-word victory..her stories are always so terrific. I'm not surprised at all that she and TDZ and Juliana are leading in total votes. But I am shocked that I could be fourth...I honestly had no idea; I would have thought there were many people who should be ahead of me. But thank you for keeping these--it must be a ton of work.

I haven't read the genre/theme choice for the new 75 worder yet. I am so far behind on my SS story, and the 75 worder is my incentive--my prize--for finishing that next; I haven't even read the thread yet for fear of learning something so intriguing about the challenge that I forsake my current writing responsibilities and head off to write 75 new words. That said..my 300 worder is done. :) I had an idea I couldn't resist after seeing HB's awesome photo.

I'm tired and rambling, so I must away to bed. Looking forward to the new 75 worder greatly! CC

I'm not surprised at all that she and TDZ and Juliana are leading in total votes.

I am! Surprised and shocked!! I still remember my first 75-word entry, back in 2012, thinking how on earth was I ever going to measure up to all the fantastic writers on the Chrons. :)

TJ, thanks for your hard work on the stats!

Back