Constantine S106 Rage of Caliban

Jesse412

Old Curmudgeon
Kind of a slow episode but the ending was fantastic. The haunted house that John had to walk through at the end was great. The zombie mask that the kid wore was really creepy. Interesting resolution at the end.

I quite like how they are ratcheting up the creepiness with each episode.

And yeah - the resolution at the end is pretty inventive. Reminds a little of that episode in The X-Files where this soldier had lost all his limbs and astral walks to kill all the people he thought was responsible for his horrid situation.

I kind of didn't get what happened at the end. Did he banish the spirit and it went back to hide inside the human shell?

The haunted house that John had to walk through at the end was great

You mean the derelict hut they went into hold their hands and try to send the spirit back to hell? It was dark and really scary place. One of those where I wouldn't want to stay any longer than I would have to.

I kind of didn't get what happened at the end. Did he banish the spirit and it went back to hide inside the human shell?

It went back to its human shell (that catatonic dude in the mental healthcare centre that John visited mid-way through the episode) and that's why we see that dude going all ragey and throwing things at the end and needing 2 hospital staff to restrain him.

You mean the derelict hut they went into hold their hands and try to send the spirit back to hell?

No the actual haunted house party with the giant clown face at the entrance that Constantine chased the kid through.

I liked this episode a lot, it may be my favorite so far. I thought the pacing was slow but steadily increasing , building to a nice crescendo. And the trailer for next week looked interesting, with him trying to get more angelic assistance.

Enjoyed this week too. Although I called out the catatonic mental patient pretty quickly. I thought he was maybe projecting and the demon was in him all along - so I wasn't quite right.

A little late in the year for a halloween episode, but the "demons running through kids in fancy dress" trope is always fun! Haunted house was another horror trope, but done nicely with the animatronic creatures giving John a few shocks!

Chas got pinned between 2 cars - ouch!

A little late in the year for a halloween episode, but the "demons running through kids in fancy dress" trope is always fun! Haunted house was another horror trope, but done nicely with the animatronic creatures giving John a few shocks!

Apparently, this was supposed to be Episode 2 to coincide with Halloween but they had to switch episodes because they decided to introduce Zed earlier after deciding not to continue with Liv.

To me this was a weak filler episode, and nothing but a string of 80's horror film cliches. Did not enjoy it.

Makes more sense at it being a second episode, but I don't understand why they switched them around - last episode actually started to suggest the story is getting somewhere - this set back the momentum.

Which is really frustrating because we're now 6 episodes into this season, and so far we have almost nothing on the supporting cast - Chas just appears, shows something, then survives a mortal wound; Zen just points at a map; and the angel pops up and tells us that a 'darkness is rising' which so far just serves as a proxy for 'a story arc is coming'.

The producers really should have kept this as episode 2, where it would have stood fine.

Meanwhile, I'm watching Agents of Shield and Arrow, where they've been developing plot from episode 1 - which makes it all the more frustrating that the producers of Constantine are still trying to find a season plot to develop - despite 6 episodes so far.

However, all my expectations are that the next episode should show something of the creative production values that crept into episodes 5&6 - more focus on supporting characters, and the human impact on everything - because these are the things that are going to set this series apart.

Last edited: