Agents of Shield S102 - 0-8-4

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
From wiki:
Skye is now integrated into Coulson's team as a consultant. Their next assignment is in Peru, tracking an "0-8-4", a S.H.I.E.L.D. code for "an object of unknown origin". Once there, the team quickly realizes that the object is actually a piece of forgotten Hydra technology powered by Tesseract energy. Coulson meets with a former colleague and officer in the Peruvian military, Camilla Reyes, and brings her team aboard their plane. Later, Reyes betrays Coulson in order to take the Hydra weapon for herself so she can defeat Peruvian rebels. The squabbling team members band together, utilizing each of their talents, and take out Reyes's men. When the plane lands at a S.H.I.E.L.D. base, Reyes is taken into custody. Later, Skye texts another member of the Rising Tide, confirming that she has infiltrated Coulson's team, while Director Nick Fury scolds Coulson for the damage to the plane, and reminds him about the risk Skye poses.

---

Not as strong and tight as the pilot episode.

When there was the gun-fighting jeep chase through the jungle I felt like I was watching an A-Team reboot. When back on the plane, it was styled like the NextGen Enterprise.

The whole thing felt more aimed at kids than a general family audience - daft things like using a life raft to plug a hole in an aeroplane, and inviting soldiers into your multi-million dollar flying fortress (and who cooked them their food and served them their drinks? :) ).

Still, there were good moments - comments on Coulson's "mid-life crisis", plus the ending suggesting the potential for treachery. Also the guest appearance of Nick Fury, which was very welcome - was concerned that we might get nothing of him through the entire series, so glad to see that quickly addressed.

Last edited:
I enjoyed this a lot more this time around (we are re-watching season 1). It's good to see the group dynamics developing, and it's interesting to notice there's a lot more humour in these early episodes than in the later seasons.