NBC stalls production of "Constantine" at 13 episodes

The Bluestocking

Bloody Mary in Blue
Well, it's better than an outright cancellation, and the ratings did go up, so I am going to remain optimistic it will get renewed.

Oh, I feel your pain, TBS! But to paraphrase willwallace, where there's not outright cancellation, there is hope! Fringe is one of my all-time favorite shows, and they avoided cancellation several times, and were given a 13-episode final season to wrap up the storyline. There are your Fringes, and sadly there are your Fireflies (oh, it still hurts!), and what I have learned from these things is to appreciate every single second of the shows you love, while you have them. Hopefully there will be many more moments of Constantine for you to enjoy!

And here's a third category, your Arrested Developments, where a show is given life many years after its original cancellation. Or sometimes another network picks up a show, too. There are novelizations, etc. There's still hope! :) (We haven't gotten Constantine yet in Finland--at least it's not on any channel my wife and I receive; I hope one day I'll get to see it!) CC

I had an image of you huddled by the TV set flicking through channels in the hope of stumbling across it -- like radio hams after the apocalypse.

Rather an ironic post from someone whose avatar contains exactly the items one might need to fulfill this image of yours, HB...I refer of course to...RABBIT EARS!!! (I know, you're a hare, not a rabbit! :) Also, did they, in England, call the small antennae placed on top of a television 'rabbit ears', as they did in America?)

I know, you're a hare, not a rabbit!

Lucky for you, my wrath hadn't quite reached critical mass when I read that sentence, and I was able to defuse it.

Also, did they, in England, call the small antennae placed on top of a television 'rabbit ears', as they did in America?)

I don't know, even after wasting about ten minutes trying to find out.

The original Deadline article that the i09 report is based on seems more positive:
http://deadline.com/2014/11/constantine-stop-production-13-episodes-season-1-nbc-1201294518/

The crux seems to be that NBC are simply holding to their initial commission of 13 episodes, and allowing the ratings info to come in, before making any further decision on a season 2.

So far the numbers look encouraging, and there's no reported de facto cancellation.

If there is a season 2, no doubt the three extra scripts already submitted can be considered for that.

I'm not seeing this as a negative, merely precaution on the side of the network - and something that's bound to boost its popularity.

I really hope they give this series chance to prove itself. The viewing numbers seems to be heading in the right direction from what I can tell. Could it really be a cunning plan by the network to get the hardcore fans to shout and scream how much they love the show, and give it a boost? Stranger things have happened?

Oh, I feel your pain, TBS! But to paraphrase willwallace, where there's not outright cancellation, there is hope! Fringe is one of my all-time favorite shows, and they avoided cancellation several times, and were given a 13-episode final season to wrap up the storyline. There are your Fringes, and sadly there are your Fireflies (oh, it still hurts!), and what I have learned from these things is to appreciate every single second of the shows you love, while you have them. Hopefully there will be many more moments of Constantine for you to enjoy!

Fingers crossed. There's the #SaveConstantine hashtag trending right now and the show's fan page on Facebook has over 2 million fans! 2 million! They can't cancel it - that's minimum of 2 million viewers right there (many of who are rabid fans of the comic book series AND the show)!

There are novelizations, etc. There's still hope! :) (We haven't gotten Constantine yet in Finland--at least it's not on any channel my wife and I receive; I hope one day I'll get to see it!) CC

Well, I doubt there'd be novelisations given that Constantine began life as a comic book character. He's a right b***** in the Hellblazer series of graphic novels but one of the most human and complex characters I've come across. Maybe check that out?

Yes, you should watch it when you can get access to it. It's fantastic! :)

I never watched the show, so maybe shouldn't say anything, but I have to say, sorry folks: shows are never outright declared "cancelled" anymore unless the ratings are so abysmal they're yanked immediately and, with the new normal state of affairs even that's pretty rare. But, aside from that, a show that doesn't get its back nine is as cancelled as anything's ever going to be.

That said, TV's crazier than ever and anything can happen once but just do know that, if you're hoping, you're doing so without cause. You can still do it - but just don't do so because you think it's 50/50 or anything. ;)

Back