Agents of Shield S101 - Pilot

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
From wiki:
After the events of Iron Man 3, Agent Phil Coulson, having survived his apparent death in The Avengers, assembles a team of agents (May, Ward, Fitz, and Simmons) to investigate a superhuman, Mike Peterson. Skye, a hactivist who saw Peterson in action, warns him about S.H.I.E.L.D. and offers to help him, but he declines. Later, Skye is abducted by Coulson and Ward for questioning. It is revealed that Peterson had been supplied with an Extremis-containing serum by Project Centipede. While visiting the scene where Peterson rescued a woman from a burning building, Coulson's team is able to learn that the fire was caused by another subject exploding due to the Extremis. Skye is kidnapped by Peterson, who is now on the run and makes her erase all his personal information. Coulson's team is able to track them down and subdue Peterson, taking him into S.H.I.E.L.D. custody. Afterwards, viewing Skye as an asset, Coulson offers her a place on the team.

---

Watched this last night with the family and very low expectations - but was very pleasantly surprised.

Very much enjoyed the - often self-depreciating - humour ("With great power comes...all sorts of weird alien stuff"), plus the general sense of tension, slow reveals, and the human focus on the story.

Was slightly disappointed at first to see Agent Coulson - seems to negate the importance of his "death" in Avengers - but his character was extremely likeable. Highlights include injecting his own agent with truth serum to convince the hacker that SHIELD were worth joining, and his trying to save the fallen hero without killing him.

That was a cracker of a resolution.

Only real complaint is that the cast list seems too focused on pretty faces than character - was that agent supposed to look just like Natalie Portman?

So far the script is holding its own with a strong opening episode, and I can only hope that we'll see some cameos from major film characters to help ensure a continuity with the films. However, I suspect that won't happen for budget reason, which would be a shame.

Last edited:
Who looks like Natalie Portman?

I have referred to the series as Supermodels of SHIELD a few times. I do like it, but I can't imagine anyone getting much work done what with all the ogling that must occur.

Only real complaint is that the cast list seems too focused on pretty faces than character

I think a lot of shows are guilty of this, tbh (other recent culprits that I watch being Arrow and The Flash). It took me a long time to 'get into' Agents of SHIELD - the first half of the first season was pretty dodgy, imo, but I'm glad I stuck with it. I've quite warmed to the characters now.

Yeah, it did seem to take a while to get going (and about 8 episodes before I knew which was Fitz and which was Simmons), but I'm also glad I stuck with it.

Hee, yeah - for a while I thought one of them was called Fitzsimmons and I had no idea what the other one was called :D

I'd agree with the comment that the show took a bit of time to get up and running, and that it's worth sticking with it.