Gotham S102 - Selina Kyle

Jesse412

Old Curmudgeon
Didn't like the second episode as much as the pilot. I felt it highlighted a lot of the shows flaws; bad dialogue and overly dramatic acting in some scenes. I like the more campy fun versions of Batman and I feel The Dollmaker's underlings (Lili Taylor and Frank Whaley) gave off that vibe. I like Sean Pertwee but I'm not really feelin' him as Alfred. Robin Lord Taylor is pretty good as The Penguin though. I kind of like that teenage Bruce was listening to heavy metal and drawing.

Last edited:
Didn't like the second episode as much as the pilot. I felt it highlighted a lot of the shows flaws; bad dialogue and overly dramatic acting in some scenes. I like the more campy fun versions of Batman and I feel The Dollmaker's underlings (Lili Taylor and Frank Whaley) gave off that vibe.

"Check out the big brain on Brad!" I dunno - I didn't have a problem with the episode overall but I thought they were "undercast". I bet Lili Taylor misses Almost Human, because that's mostly what I was thinking.

I like Sean Pertwee but I'm not really feelin' him as Alfred. Robin Lord Taylor is pretty good as The Penguin though. I kind of like that teenage Bruce was listening to heavy metal and drawing.

Agreed - to me, Alfred's supposed to have a little more "urbanity" or something. Or maybe not. Either way, I think he's doing a pretty good job but, again, maybe just not the most appropriate casting. The casting misses may just be the law of averages since I'm still thinking Gordon and especially Bullock are perfect for their parts.

Also agree with the last two observations.

I gave up on the series already. It's too bad because I wanted to like it.

Well, I haven't given up on it even though I haven't posted anything this week because I've been quite ill whole week. Luckily I found some old antibiotics from behind the filing cabinet, and used them to kill whatever has been putting me in bed. But I have to say that Gotham is growing up on me, and I especially liked the weird couple working for the Dollmaker.

If you didn't get the reference to the Dollmaker, you're not alone as I was one of them who had never heard of that villain. According to the Batman Wikia, Dollmaker was introduced after DC's reboot on the Batman. But what makes this particular character interesting is that Gordon shot his father, and what Dollmaker surfaces in the Batman few years later, he's wearing his fathers rotten skin over his face.

Yuck, I know, but it is still interesting connection.

Another thing that was interesting was Falcone's appearance in the nightclub. He is supposedly one of the most notorious non-super criminals in the Batman comic series, and in the Gotham he's showing it. Nobody will steps on his foot without facing serious repercussions. But what I couldn't understand was that why nobody called police, when they beat the poor man at back of Fish Mooney's club. Is it because Gotham is so seriously corrupted that nobody bothers, or were everyone having a fun watching the poor man getting mashed to pulp?

Maybe that is one of the reason that made young Bruce Wayne to seek alter ego. Maybe he saw Gordon battling never ending stream of criminals and psychopaths, and thought he should do something about it. Something other than what he offered as a solution for the poor street kids. But we can already see how that will end when the Super Criminals pop out on the street to create their havoc.

But what I have to say about Alfred is that I get him now. I get that he wasn't prepared to step up on the role so soon. But he is trying his very best on being the best possible substitute father. Just the thing is he isn't doing it very well, and that might be another reason on why young Bruce ended up dressing up like a bat.

But what I have to say about Alfred is that I get him now. I get that he wasn't prepared to step up on the role so soon. But he is trying his very best on being the best possible substitute father. Just the thing is he isn't doing it very well, and that might be another reason on why young Bruce ended up dressing up like a bat.

What I find interesting about Gotham is that we'll also be seeing Jim Gordon be a father figure to young Bruce Wayne and we'll get to see what sort of influence he has on Bruce. I reckon that the series will show us how - between the deaths of the Waynes and the efforts of Alfred and Jim - how Batman came to be.

Well, there is no Gotham without Batman, just like there is no Starling City without Green Arrow. But as this is a Fox product, Mr Murdoch won't allow cross-gender mash-ups, and we won't see those characters visiting Gotham like they're going to do with upcoming Flash. No matter how much I'd like to see major villains visiting those scenes. But then again, Arrow and Flash are situated in the modern world, whereas Gotham is in the past - just look at the lack of flat screen tellies and smart phones.

Erin Richards described how she arrived at her portrayal of Barbara Kean:

We discussed a lot about Barbara and who she is. I think she's got a lot of different sides to her. There is her proactive side; she's completely in love with Jim Gordon; she's completely intelligent and a strong, bold, committed individual. When things come up that she really wants to fight for, that she really believes in, she'll go hell-for-leather to get them and to steer Jim on the right path.

But, because Bruno is so fantastic and writes these incredible female parts, she obviously has this total other side to her — this dark past that she's hiding from Jim and from herself, essentially, with all these layers of intrigue and mystery. As the series continues, those secrets are revealed to the audience and to Jim, and that then leads to problems in their relationship and their trust in each other and where the relationship can go to after that. That's fun to play, and hopefully will be fun to watch.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/gothams-erin-richards-barbara-kean-736747

whereas Gotham is in the past - just look at the lack of flat screen tellies and smart phones
They seem to have one of those "uncertain" time periods going on... I'm sure I've seen cellphones already? But the police cars look like they're from the 70s - yet the guys who picked up "Penguin" had a modern looking SUV.

I did enjoy this episode, and agree with the comments re Alfred. We're used to "old" Alfred but his younger self has much less certainty and calmness

Ive seen two episodes so far and have been impressed . :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Jeffbert Gotham 2
Jeffbert Gotham 8
ctg Gotham 5
ctg Gotham 7
ctg Gotham 2