Gotham S101 - Pilot

BAYLOR

There Are Always new Things to Learn.
Based on this first episode , I think we have a winner. (y)

I had a surprise today when I noticed that The Blacklist, Sleepy Hollow and Gotham had aired last night, but I only had a chance to watch them later on this evening. And as you might have noticed I had reservations in regards of how Gotham would go down. So I can happily now tell you that all the characters except Albert fit the series. The problem with Albert is that he isn't acted by Michael Caine, and to me Mr Caine's Albert in the Dark Knight series was the best. There's no doubt it. But in this one, the only weak character I noticed so far was Mr Riddler.

I for one cannot understand what Mr E.Nigma would be doing in the Gotham PD CSI division, when it was kind of obvious from the first meeting that he has lost bats from the bell tower. Or then maybe he has couple of extra ones doing copious rounds just to drive him mental. Of course I have to admit that I don't know E. Nigma's full history, as I've just seen him in the comics books and in the old series, before he showed up in the 1995's Batman forever. And to be honest I wasn't pleased for such a brain being ridiculed by the Batman.

But Batman isn't in this series in any other form than a small "fabulous rich" boy under guardianship of Albert. However it doesn't mean he cannot have some friends, and as surprising as it was, the Catwoman was lurking at Wayne's Manor fence when Detective Gordon drove off from there. So I wouldn't be surprised if there's some sort of early love angle in the play when we go down this series.

I certainly will be tuning in as the weeks go by even if there's no big central plot out there other than who committed Wayne's murders?

I still don't see what they're going to do going forward - I think this thing is hamstrung by the prequelness - but this episode of Bigville was pretty good.

I say Bigville for a couple of reasons - I'm not sure if I even saw a whole episode but this seems to be the exact same concept as Smallville but, unlike that show, this is definitely not a CW teeny show so far. While Wayne and Catgirl (who showed up throughout the episode) may eventually take on larger roles, it seems to be pretty exclusively about Gordon and his partner so far. And Gordon works for me (though I ruinously can't get 60s TV Batman Gordon out of my head) and, while I've seen Logue in various things and was generally indifferent (except in Life where he was all wrong) he seems to fit this role perfectly. Best scene was Gordon going one on one with Big Guy because he was too nice to shoot him and holding his own for a bit but ending up about to be shot before his partner shows up and shoots Big Guy. Gordon looks up and says, "Thanks" and Partner just makes this perfect expression that said something like "Yeah, sure. (Idiot.)" Fun for the whole family as, IMO, it had the whole vigilante rough justice vibe going but was, in fact, a clean shoot in that Gordon was about to be killed. And facial expressions are often the best "lines".

(I always feel funny watching and talking about these shows. I believe I ever owned one Batman comic in my life - never was a comic guy - and don't really know or care about the continuity and little in-references that I never get but you guys are all into it. :))

I really enjoyed it. My son (11yo) who has forgotten more about the whole Batman universe then I'll ever know, was blown away.

On a cute aside, I like that Catwoman looks a little like Michelle Pfeiffer; a nod to her brilliant Catwoman?

Damn good writing. I think this might have possibilities. Love, love, love the penguin.

I thought the season premiere was pretty solid. Not spectacular but enough to keep me coming back for at least a couple more episodes to see if it sticks.

I did not see the same episode as the rest of you. The only thing I liked about it was the look of it. The filter or whatever they use makes for a cool visual. I found the dialogue strange and the story was so contrived that I had a hard time finishing the episode! And what was the point of introducing every possible Batman character in the first episode. I mean Ivy playing with a plant as a kid... whyyyyyyyyyyy????

I didn't mind Ben as Gordon, I think he may be one of the only redeeming things about the show.

I will not be watching episode 2...unless I wear down and decide to give it a second chance...(but I doubt it)

It was a little overkill to have so many badguys-to-be in the pilot, but they wanted that for the promos I guess...

I can see this being an interesting story of a clean cop vs corrupt system, and the actors were generally good, Bullock being the best performance IMO.

Definite case of prequel-itis though, as we know Gordon isn't going to overcome the crime bosses any time soon (not til he has Batman's help)

Definite case of prequel-itis though, as we know Gordon isn't going to overcome the crime bosses any time soon (not til he has Batman's help)

Exactly. I forget the name of the boss in the episode and don't know if he was significant but, if he was, we know he can't go. If not, maybe they give Gordon one eventually. But they have to walk a basically impossible line: if Gordon is very successful, what does he need Batman for? If he's not, we get to watch the "hero" lose a lot. Neither option is acceptable. Prequels are stupid. But, with that as a given, this was well done so far.

I guess Calzone (something along those lines, mmm tasty calzone) and Fishy whats-it are fairly expendable as they're not known entities from grown-up batman timeline. (not sure about Calzone actually, but my knowledge of the history is far from complete).

As for Bullock - we have redemption or death coming!

As for proto-Ivy, it kind of makes sense to have her introduced. Her innocent father being killed by cops gives her good motivation for future crimes.

I wonder how much we'll see of Bruce and the younger proto-badguys, I suspect that Fishy and the crime families will be the focus for Gordon's investigations..

The only thing this did for me is to make me want to watch Batman Begins again. i did like their take on Penguin though. I also liked mostly all the characters. But I just can't see where this show is headed.

I guess Calzone (something along those lines, mmm tasty calzone) and Fishy whats-it are fairly expendable as they're not known entities from grown-up batman timeline. (not sure about Calzone actually, but my knowledge of the history is far from complete).

It's Falcone... I think. :)

Here's a quote from DC Wikia

Carmine "The Roman" Falcone is a Gotham Organized Crime boss who is an enemy of Batman. His nickname comes from the ruthless way he established his criminal empire. In addition to his extended family, his successors include his children Alberto Falcone, Mario Falcone and Sofia Gigante Falcone. Carmine Falcone was created by Frank Miller and Dave Mazzucchelli, first appearing during their Batman: Year One storyline in Batman #404. (1987)
http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Carmine_Falcone

OK thanks.. Falcone/Calzone should be surviving the show then? But Fish will most likely meet a umm fishy end...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Jeffbert Gotham 2
Jeffbert Gotham 8
ctg Gotham 5
ctg Gotham 7
ctg Gotham 2