The silliest science fiction and fantasy movies of all time

That's 'Hosebag'. A word new immigrants are told canadiens call each other. Don't tell them what it really means.
Can't believe you guys think Hitchhikers is some kind of silly SF - it is full on Brit comedy, and a classic. It was so popular he wrote a bunch more, and even most of that was perty good. There are hundreds of silly B flicks. Battle Beyond the (Stars) (Sun) Attack of the (Giant Leeches) (Beast Creatures) (Crab Monsters) and gee golly just oodles more. Remember that since the late 70s, 'B' or 'bad' movies have been artificially generated. See: Troma etc.
Not the same thing at all. No charm. Too violent. Crass. Garbage as opposed to good healthy rubbish.

A couple that haven't come up yet
Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel One of those time travel stories that has characters watching later/earlier versions of themselves. All takes place in a pub.
Cockneys vs Zombies Extremely silly Gangsters and OAPs fight their way out of London when it is taken over by the undead. Silliest thing is Richard Briers on a walker. Possibly the slowest chase scene...

Cat-Woman on The Moon 1953 The title alone speaks volumes. The film itself is silly beyond imagining , but entertaining.:D

Remove ''on The Moon'' and what are we left with . . . the awful and ridiculous.

Catwoman. (Halle Berry has never fully recovered.)

Oh and I give you the Dungeons and Dragons films. The first one is pure ham and camp silliness, the rest are awful and cheap, jumping on LOTR bandwagon and destroying great source material.

Dungeons and Dragons the cartoon on the other hand, I have a serious soft spot for and own on DVD. :whistle:

Hey now! FAQ about Time Travel is quite an enjoyable little romp for a friday or saturday night, I loved it, even with it being silly. Especially loved the final scene - a remix of Europe's epic ballad "Final Countdown" blasting out as the Heroes and the american lass in appropriately sexy outfit charge into the time portal to go save the World again.

Jaxx - I agree with you mostly on what you say about the D&D Films, however the I think 3rd film, D&D The Book of Vile Darkness was a little different to the others. The main Hero was lacking somewhat in acting skills, but it was much darker than the others, plus that gorgeous Gothed up Witch woman, Akordia, she looks totally different in real life, amazing what a bit of makeup can do. And generally Vile Darkness has gotten far more favourable reviews than its predecessors. What universe are the D&D Films set in - I have played Neverwinter Nights 2 (I found 1 unplayable as the control and combat system is awful, NWN2 handles both much better) And NWN is I believe set in the "Forgotten Realms" Universe, specifically the Continent of Faerun, but the D&D Movies are not really recognisable, the only similar Beings are the Dwarves and Elves, not to mention the Dragons of the first movie, but it portrays the Elves as human haters living in the forests, whilst in Faerun, the Elves who aren't away in the Elven place I forget the name of live amongst the Humans and Dwarves, and other races in harmony, and there does not appear to be any racial discord, like that found in for example the world of Dragon Age, where poor City Elves are treated like dirt and forced to live in the "Elven Alienage" ghettos, or the Witcher Universe where Elves and Dwarves are being treated so badly, and various attempts at exterminating the non humans (except in Nilfguard, where the Emperor Emrhys is friendly to Elves and they are treated fairly by Imperial Decree, thus his Armies can make use of Elven Warrior skills) that the Non Humans have had to form the Scoia'Tel basically a terrorist movement of Active Service Units waging Guerilla War against Humanity, descending to the same level as humans, butchering villages, the way Humans have done to non human habitations, robbing banks, assasinations and so on.

Though the Forgotten Realms Wiki states that the Elves do tend to live in the forests and wilds. So maybe NWN2 was not being quite faithful to the Mythology. Tell you one thing though, the Wall of the Faithless that you get to see in DLC absolutely terrified me, it really creeped me out. Oh, and in Book of Vile Darkness, the "Undead Child betrayed by her God in life" now that creature properly freaked me, and I actually had a nightmare, and I am usually made of pretty stern stuff!!!

Dungeons & Dragons: The Book of Vile Darkness (TV Movie 2012) - IMDb

dandd3-eg03.jpg

Where to start here???

Here's a few candidates to stir the pot...

Resident Evil: Afterlife - I think common sense left the series about half way through the second film in the series, and although it always nice to see the lovely Milla Jovovich kick arse, this is just a sequence of action scenes barely cobbled together.

Day of the Dead (1985) - Yep the third in the Romero 'dead' series. Sue me. A lot of philosophical yapping and not a lot of being torn apart by zombie hordes. (although there is a very nice person ripping scene near the end...)

I haven't seen it...but Pluto Nash??? (would like to know from others that have actually watched this.)

Eragon -
Star wars with dragons. Somehow they managed to get (much, much) less out of the sum of the parts in this equation...

Jaxx - I agree with you mostly on what you say about the D&D Films, however the I think 3rd film, D&D The Book of Vile Darkness was a little different to the others. The main Hero was lacking somewhat in acting skills, but it was much darker than the others, plus that gorgeous Gothed up Witch woman, Akordia, she looks totally different in real life, amazing what a bit of makeup can do. And generally Vile Darkness has gotten far more favourable reviews than its predecessors. What universe are the D&D Films set in - I have played Neverwinter Nights 2 (I found 1 unplayable as the control and combat system is awful, NWN2 handles both much better) And NWN is I believe set in the "Forgotten Realms" Universe, specifically the Continent of Faerun, but the D&D Movies are not really recognisable, the only similar Beings are the Dwarves and Elves, not to mention the Dragons of the first movie, but it portrays the Elves as human haters living in the forests, whilst in Faerun, the Elves who aren't away in the Elven place I forget the name of live amongst the Humans and Dwarves, and other races in harmony, and there does not appear to be any racial discord, like that found in for example the world of Dragon Age, where poor City Elves are treated like dirt and forced to live in the "Elven Alienage" ghettos, or the Witcher Universe where Elves and Dwarves are being treated so badly, and various attempts at exterminating the non humans (except in Nilfguard, where the Emperor Emrhys is friendly to Elves and they are treated fairly by Imperial Decree, thus his Armies can make use of Elven Warrior skills) that the Non Humans have had to form the Scoia'Tel basically a terrorist movement of Active Service Units waging Guerilla War against Humanity, descending to the same level as humans, butchering villages, the way Humans have done to non human habitations, robbing banks, assasinations and so on.

Though the Forgotten Realms Wiki states that the Elves do tend to live in the forests and wilds. So maybe NWN2 was not being quite faithful to the Mythology. Tell you one thing though, the Wall of the Faithless that you get to see in DLC absolutely terrified me, it really creeped me out. Oh, and in Book of Vile Darkness, the "Undead Child betrayed by her God in life" now that creature properly freaked me, and I actually had a nightmare, and I am usually made of pretty stern stuff!!!

Dungeons & Dragons: The Book of Vile Darkness (TV Movie 2012) - IMDb

How strange, you mention the D&D computer games. Only today I have been hunting and found a site to buy revamped and browser ready old classics, as I am sorely tempted to revisit my Baldur's Gate days (The RPG not the hack n slash console games), I never completed the second one. I still have it but it isn't compatible with the trusty laptop.

GOG.com - Baldurs Gate II. (If you scroll down you'll see a host of other RPG classics to whet the appetite.)

I used to read the books based in Faerun, the Drizzt Do'urden series being some of my favourites and he appears in Baldurs II if I remember correctly.

One of my earliest literary fantasy ventures Dragonlance, also used the D&D framework and that was based on a world called Krynn, so I guess the term Forgotten Realms allows for a variety of worlds/lands??

In regard the third Dungeons & Dragons movie I will confess I got a twenty minutes in and turned it off on an iffy stream some time back. I think I may revisit it.

Aye, Gog.com is a lovely sight for getting Games at a cheaper price.

I highly recommend getting the Neverwinter Nights 2 with all the DLC. The graphics are acceptable, there are still all this time later a few bugs here and there, but I felt the storyline was worth playing through. Bioware worked on the first Neverwinter Game, but not the second, so they got a lot of grief about early problems before patches were released for NWN2 even though it was nothing to do with them.
I believe they based the combat system etc of Dragon Age Origins on Forgotten Realms, but nothing officially licensed
I did what I often do, as Demo's don't seem all that common these days for some reason, I downloaded Balder's Gate from a site supposedly blocked from UK access :whistle: Just to trial the game and see if its worth forking out for - Pennies are tight and I want to support Game Developers, especially the likes of Bioware, Bethesda and CD Projekt, my Polish heroes so I do this in order to spend my cash on something I know I am going to enjoy playing - like I say I wouldn't need to if demos were still around. And I found Balders Gate just too old and clumsy for me, the same as Neverwinter Nights 1.
There is actually a fan project over on Neverwinter Nights 2 Nexus (Nexus is a fab site for game mods, along with Moddb, Nexus stands out as it has a custom built mod installation app which automates mod downloads and installs and categorises your mods etc all sorts of flashy whistles and bells ) But the Fan Project converts Baldurs Gate into the NWN2 Engine, but I found it very buggy and graphics were behaving weirdly, I don't recall if that was the final release or if it will be further updated.

If you have Played Dragon Age: Origins then Neverwinter Nights 2 will feel familiar in gameplay style, though DA: Origins has much better control and combat being a more modern game, and also a lot more voice acting, whilst NWN2 is mostly silent, except for random quotes your character and NPC's sometimes mutter.

I didn't realise there were novels set in Faerun!!!! I am going to have to track these down!

Where to start here???

Here's a few candidates to stir the pot...

Resident Evil: Afterlife - I think common sense left the series about half way through the second film in the series, and although it always nice to see the lovely Milla Jovovich kick arse, this is just a sequence of action scenes barely cobbled together.

Day of the Dead (1985) - Yep the third in the Romero 'dead' series. Sue me. A lot of philosophical yapping and not a lot of being torn apart by zombie hordes. (although there is a very nice person ripping scene near the end...)

I haven't seen it...but Pluto Nash??? (would like to know from others that have actually watched this.)

Eragon -
Star wars with dragons. Somehow they managed to get (much, much) less out of the sum of the parts in this equation...

Seconding the love for FAQ About Time Travel. It's not a bad film at all and does play fair and stick to an internal logic that doesn't pull plot rabbits out of nowhere without backing them up.

Pluto Nash is well worth avoiding. It sucks. But not in a fun way like Battlefield Earth is. Pluto Nash just a boring waste of everyone's time and money.

Aye, Gog.com is a lovely sight for getting Games at a cheaper price.

I highly recommend getting the Neverwinter Nights 2 with all the DLC. The graphics are acceptable, there are still all this time later a few bugs here and there, but I felt the storyline was worth playing through. Bioware worked on the first Neverwinter Game, but not the second, so they got a lot of grief about early problems before patches were released for NWN2 even though it was nothing to do with them.
I believe they based the combat system etc of Dragon Age Origins on Forgotten Realms, but nothing officially licensed
I did what I often do, as Demo's don't seem all that common these days for some reason, I downloaded Balder's Gate from a site supposedly blocked from UK access :whistle: Just to trial the game and see if its worth forking out for - Pennies are tight and I want to support Game Developers, especially the likes of Bioware, Bethesda and CD Projekt, my Polish heroes so I do this in order to spend my cash on something I know I am going to enjoy playing - like I say I wouldn't need to if demos were still around. And I found Balders Gate just too old and clumsy for me, the same as Neverwinter Nights 1.
There is actually a fan project over on Neverwinter Nights 2 Nexus (Nexus is a fab site for game mods, along with Moddb, Nexus stands out as it has a custom built mod installation app which automates mod downloads and installs and categorises your mods etc all sorts of flashy whistles and bells ) But the Fan Project converts Baldurs Gate into the NWN2 Engine, but I found it very buggy and graphics were behaving weirdly, I don't recall if that was the final release or if it will be further updated.

If you have Played Dragon Age: Origins then Neverwinter Nights 2 will feel familiar in gameplay style, though DA: Origins has much better control and combat being a more modern game, and also a lot more voice acting, whilst NWN2 is mostly silent, except for random quotes your character and NPC's sometimes mutter.

I didn't realise there were novels set in Faerun!!!! I am going to have to track these down!

Ooh and try out "Planescape Torment" set in D&D's Forgotten Realms. a heavily narrative driven story with good combat rules, about a man who cannot die and can't remember his past. There are much bigger things going on than you'd think. definitely a game that needs more love

One game I highly recommend if only for Stress relief as there is not really much in the way of Plot is Mount and Blade: Warband.
I am currently playing 2 Fan Total Conversion Mods - Perisno and Prophesy of Pendor - they are both Low Fantasy Mods and there is much fun to be had forging your empire, it's kind of a little like Total War, with an RPG edge but you can walk around cities, buy armour and weapons for yourself and your "Hero Companions" the idea is you recruit for example a priest skilled in Healing, so when he levels up you spend his XP on the medical Skills, so when you go into battle with your Army you lose less men to death, they are just more likely to be injured/knocked out, stuff like that. So you have yourself, your Hero Companions who you can recruit in various Taverns, and then your grunts, the Infantry, Archers and Cavalry.

There are supposed to be Giants in Perisno, I have not yet met any but look forward to doing so!!

Actual Combat in M&B:Warband is in 3rd person (or 1st person if you prefer) and you have commands for controlling your troops, ordering them to a particular position, use melee or ranged weapons, move forward 10 paces, Charge, stuff like that, and putting your Cavalry into Wedge formation. The Fan made Conversions actually have much more goodies and stuff going on than the Vanilla game.
There is also "With Fire and Sword" Single Player DLC for Warband, set in Eastern Europe in the 17th century, so there are muskets and pistols and so on. There is another total conversion that is slowly being tweaked, improved, and fixed with updates, to hopefully bring it out of Beta Testing State and into full release called L'Aigle (The Eagle) Set in the Napoleonic Wars, it is much fun to be stood in battle, Whilst Captain Sharpe leads his 95th Rifles Chosen Men in a Skirmish against the approaching foe, the battlefield obscured by musket and rifle smoke, and your cannon if you have some making their own noise and devastation.

For fun, below is a screenshot of my current Character in Perisno, Caledfwlch ap Gwalchmai, one day to become his Imperial Majesty, Emperor Caledfwlch 1st, Defender of the Faiths, Lord of Perisno, Saviour of the Elves.

Oh yes, Horsies are a bit old fashioned for Young Caledfwlch, he prefers to charge into battle atop his beautiful giant Mountain Wolf, Llamrai - that is not a trick of perspective, Llamrai the wolf is indeed the size of a Horsie - otherwise my Knight would look a bit daft charging into battle on a normal sized Wolf, the weight of his armour alone would crush the poor thing! In the second picture, Caledfwlch is waving his massive Sword, and to be fair, nobody can deny that he is carrying a Whopper!! I actually have a War Elephant amongst my choice of Cavalry Mounts, which I or my companions can ride into battle, and scare the hell out of the Enemy Horsies and Infantry.

mb3.jpg

mb4.jpg

Silly is for kids, so Attack of the SuperMonsters is hard to beat. The animation is wretched, the models are OK, and the rubber dinosaur suits are great. Tons of explosions and screaming, laughing Dinosaurs. Great for all ages. It Came From Hollywood is a bit of a must-see, it's footage from a lot of silly stuff...*

Remove ''on The Moon'' and what are we left with . . . the awful and ridiculous.

Catwoman. (Halle Berry has never fully recovered.)

Oh and I give you the Dungeons and Dragons films. The first one is pure ham and camp silliness, the rest are awful and cheap, jumping on LOTR bandwagon and destroying great source material.

Dungeons and Dragons the cartoon on the other hand, I have a serious soft spot for and own on DVD. :whistle:

Dungeons and Dragons has a vast mythology to draw from and this was the best story they could come up with?:unsure:

Anyone ever see NUDE ON THE MOON? I watched that turkey way back during my 1st years with NETFLIX. :ROFLMAO:

I have just watched Night Of The Comet. I'm in at least two minds about this. My lord how did Beltran get Chakotay after that performance, oh wait, he was that woden in voyager as well.

I have just watched Night Of The Comet. I'm in at least two minds about this. My lord how did Beltran get Chakotay after that performance, oh wait, he was that woden in voyager as well.

It's become something of a cult film.:)

I actually quite liked it. It plays with one of my favourite tropes - the whole Purple Cloud / The World the Flesh and the Devil / Quiet Earth idea of everyone suddenly vanishing or dying and characters being alone in a empty civilisation.

I actually quite liked it. It plays with one of my favourite tropes - the whole Purple Cloud / The World the Flesh and the Devil / Quiet Earth idea of everyone suddenly vanishing or dying and characters being alone in a empty civilisation.

Ive never seen the Quite Earth.:unsure:

'Monster in the closet' from 1986. I saw it as a kid and it had me in stitches! if just for the closing line by the narrator... something along the lines of, "...and in the end, it was beauty that killed the beast!" (the lead character was a geeky scientist type, who had people swoon whenever his glasses fell off).
I literally only saw it once on video and haven't come across it since, I do remember it being complete cheese though.

Another I saw was at about the same time was 'Killer Klowns from outer space".

Back