Constantine S104 A Feast of Friends

Jesse412

Old Curmudgeon
Episode 4 "A Feast of Friends"
as an adaptation of Hellblazer #1-2 it was kind of underwhelming but in it's own right it was okay.

I think Constantine has finally hit its emotional stride this week. We get to see the sacrifices he has to make and the complex emotions that go with making those sacrifices. It ain't pretty and I actually had a lump in my throat at the end...

... watching Zed finally realise what Constantine has to do and what the stakes are, and watching Constantine hold his friend's hand as the latter died in convulsions of agony in order to rid the world of the demon.

This spoiler-filled review basically nails exactly how I felt about this episode:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/11/15/constantine-a-feast-of-friends-review

If the show continues on this trajectory with punching us in the gut with emotion, I'd say it should have a real shot at gaining a new fandom and avoiding the axe. Well, hopefully - you never know if the powers-that-be and bean counters at the network would decide to inexplicably put it to death...

Last edited:
I agree. The episode was really touching, and really sad in the regards that there aren't too many friends Constantine can lose to forces of Hell. And I think that is what his guarding angel tried to tell him, when he asked at the stairs of museum: "Are you sure you want to do this?" But the thing is I thought he was trying to stop Constantine from stealing the item, when he probably could had got it off from the post a few months and less then hundred victims later. So question in my mind is what is that drives him to do these things?

I enjoyed this episode - and we have a full on forum now too! - but if the only way the demon could be held was in a living host, how come Gary was able to hold it in that orb long enough to fly transatlantic? If he'd got through customs he could have brought it to John and perhaps kept it contained somewhere?!

But the emotional beats were good in this one, Gary was very convincing as a man racked by guilt and withdrawals from narcotics. I wasn't too keen on John's deception to basically give Gary no option but to become the vessel. But he was willing to fulfil the role and had already accepted his fate.

I hope the series gets a little darker, that always leaves more room for unexpected plot twists. Still trying to decide how much I like/dislike Matt Ryan as Constantin. Within each episode it seems I'll start to feel he's good in the role, then for some reason, a scene will just make me feel...maybe not. And for no reason I can pin down. But I am enjoying the show so far.

How much darker would you like it to get? Constantine didn't give his friend last shot even though he wouldn't had any problem on getting "the good stuff for the road." Instead his mate had to go to afterlife in agony.

Well, this is partly what I meant when I said sometimes I like his character, sometimes not. He is at times almost too goofy, then he's stone-cold. It's a little too much of a swing from one extreme to the other for me to believe. I don't know, it's a few episodes in, and I'm sure there's more character development to come. I'm definitely sticking with it, and maybe expecting too much out of a new series that 's just getting going. You can only do so much per week, anyway.

Still trying to decide how much I like/dislike Matt Ryan as Constantin. Within each episode it seems I'll start to feel he's good in the role, then for some reason, a scene will just make me feel...maybe not. And for no reason I can pin down. But I am enjoying the show so far.

Still far, FAR better than Keanu Reeves...

As soon as I saw the bugs I said "Gary Lester..."

I love the way the creators work storylines from the comics into a TV series in an original way. Even better that they didn't shy away from the topic of drugs. A little too much gore, perhaps - but overall, a powerful episode.

And what was even better is that it was clearly, and uniquely, an episode of Constantine and not trying to be Supernatural.

The only complaint I'd have at this point is that Zed needs to be justified as a character.