Constantine S103 The Devil's Vinyl

The Bluestocking

Bloody Mary in Blue
Episode 3 was a nice little episode with...

... the introduction of Papa Midnight and the evil freezing acetate record. Could have ramped up a little more on the suspense but the end scene with Papa Midnight staring at the pit of Hell that Constantine opened was pretty good

I give it a B. It's just as good as any Supernatural episode (though, of course, Supernatural is technically the descendent of Hellblazer)

Episode 3 "The Devil's Vinyl"
Nice to see Joelle Carter show up. Mucous Membrane! I like Michael James Shaw as Papa Midnite.

I enjoyed #3 too, and it's good to see they're not shying away from the bodycount/collateral damage. A show about demons couldn't really not do that though (not these days anyway)

We did have a classic case of the bad guy leaving our hero alive for no good reason though. Learn to stop monologuing and finish the job, papa!!

I enjoyed #3 too, and it's good to see they're not shying away from the bodycount/collateral damage. A show about demons couldn't really not do that though (not these days anyway)

We did have a classic case of the bad guy leaving our hero alive for no good reason though. Learn to stop monologuing and finish the job, papa!!

Yeah, but Papa Midnite is playing the long game, methinks.

His relationship with Constantine fluctuates - sometimes he's an ally, sometimes he's a nemesis. Depends on how and where their paths and goals jive. At least, that's what I observed from Hellblazer. Grey areas all around.

His relationship with Constantine fluctuates - sometimes he's an ally, sometimes he's a nemesis. Depends on how and where their paths and goals jive. At least, that's what I observed from Hellblazer. Grey areas all around.
Not sure I got that vibe from the episode but perhaps it'll become clearer with future encounters..

Didn't really enjoy this - it feels like whatever ideas they have from Hellblazer are being forced through a Supernatural-shaped hole. The result feels unbalanced in lots of different small ways - as though the show isn't entirely sure what it wants to be, and is lacking a vision.

There were some good points and moments in it, but what was with the constant use of the word "acetate" throughout this episode?? Did everyone forget the words vinyl/record/single/recording??

Still, I'll give the next episode a go. :)