Best Lois McMaster Bujold fantasy?

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Lois McMaster Bujold comes up a lot in discussions here, as both a science fiction and fantasy writer.

However, I'm afraid I'm not too familiar with her fantasy novels.

I enjoy character immersion, pace, richness of detail, and a degree of authenticity. Any books come to mind for that? :)

I ask because both The Curse of Chalion and Paladin of Souls have been on my radar for a while.

I liked The Curse of Chalion by far the best. Perhaps because I empathized more with the main character, perhaps because it introduced me to the magic and the fabulous religion of the Chalion books, and the ideas obviously struck me as freshest and newest the first time I read it. But I enjoyed Paladin of Souls as well, and both books only improved with re-reading, so it wasn't all about encountering those things for the first time.

I second Theresa's post. The magic really worked for me... both the way Magic is used and being exposed to the wonderful realm of Chalion for the first time.

Maybe it was because I was mid-thirties and coming off personal and professional failures just like the protagonist, but I really sympathized with Caz.

Definitely give Chalion a go. It is very enjoyable and on the lighter side of fantasy. In many ways its a refreshing change from the grinding mega-series that seem to be published today.

I agree Brian - the fat monk cover is not a good one! I have The Curse of Chalion (Chalion, #1) cover version which has Malazan vibes and IMO is much cooler looking.

I have never read Paladin of Souls but I have read Chalion and it was a really enjoyable book - being a fan of Bujolds (The Vorkosigan Saga) I do intend to read Paladin.

Just my general musings.