The Slow Regard of Silent Things

Did you enjoy The Slow Regard of Silent Things?

• Total voters

willwallace

Interested Observer
Hmm. Where to start a discussion of this little book? It starts out with an odd forward from the author, where he says that you may not like the tome. From there, Rothfuss takes you into the underground world of Auri, and it's a mighty strange place. The writing style is somewhat repetitive, but that is due to how Auri lives-everything in it's place, and a place for everything is her motto. And not just her motto, but an imperative she must follow.
While it really doesn't add much at all to the overall trilogy, I do think there are some possibilities laid out for future actions involving Auri.

**Mini-Spoiler Alert**

When she prepares Kvothe's bed(as a gift), is it just her wackiness, or does she have some ability to see how things fit in the world(which is called Temerant, by the way), and foresees his needing it?

Does Auri really understand the world on a deeper level than others? There are hints that she does, and it may be this understanding which broke her in the first place.

I believe she will have an important role to play in the final book of the trilogy, but I'm not sure that's why Patrick wrote this book. I'm not sure he knows why he wrote it, when you read the endnote he says it just had to be written.
Overall I found the story entertaining, although, again, the repetitiveness made it a little tough to read. However, it was necessary, I believe, to reinforce the daily struggle that is Auri's life.

Okay, so I loved it. 13 for such a tiny book is hard to stomach (I got it half price and it was signed, so I'm not complaining) but it is beautiful, both in finish with lovely illustrations and in the story.

It may be that because I've had one of those weeks where I feel a bit broken and out of place that it resonated so strongly for me (and Pat's afterword choked me up, as it was so spot on) but I know this will be one of my duvet books to go back to and pick up and reread when I just need a comfort book. I only have three (maybe four) of them, so that's high praise.

So, yes, loved it and would recommend it to anyone who's felt a bit broken, or who loves prose for prose's sake, or who just wants something short and lovely.

I am lost for words on this book. Should it have been published? I'm not sure. I know there are a lot of people that will love the beautiful prose and Auri's story. I for one appreciated it but I cannot relate to Auri so it was a little trying to read some of it.

I did pay 12-13 dollars on it and was a little disappointed it was so short. I think I read it in a hour or so.

I will have to mull on it some more and one day when I re-read the Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear I will go back and see what I think

Loved it -- I felt as though it was a wonderful little tidbit from the world which Kvothe sits in. It reminded me at times of Ursula Le Guin's writing -- a light, delicate touch that was nonetheless delightful. It was great getting insight into Auri's world. Actually, I can't believe Rothfuss considered not publishing it -- I really feel as though this added quite a bit. I will never see Auri the same again.

Did anyone else read this more like a poem than a book? I kept catching myself reading to some timing that my head made up.

I really enjoyed it. It was one of those stories where I couldn't put it down even though I had to get up for work early the next morning, and certainly gave a decent insight into the character

I loved it, but I don't mind stories that don't seem to go anywhere. It was a sweet little story, and I'm always eager to know more about characters I already like, so a whole little novella about Auri was perfect :) I'm sure she has an important part to play later in Kvothe's story, so I can't wait to see how it all ties in.

I just got my copy!! *lovy twirly dance with book*
A friend has been loaning me the KingKiller series and when I told her how much I love Auri and how I selfishly wish there was just a touch more of her in the story Kavoth tells of his life... she shared this little gem with me.
WELL.
As soon as I finished it I HAD to run right out and buy a copy. Which is now slightly marked up and sports one of my few book marks.

I cant count how often I cried reading this.

SO

GOOD

!!!

I had to put it down after she fixed the cracked pipe. I was just shaking to bits.
And the soap!

As much as I have come to love Patrick for Kavoth, I love him more for Auri.

Sometimes the little things that the world would have us take for granted, are the biggest hurdles to happiness and feeling right with ourselves.

Sometimes it's a good thing the thing we are looking forward to is a long way off, because there is so much to do to be ready for it.

Sometimes the poetry of life trips out of meter and it takes a few stumbles to get back into it.

Few things are forthcoming with the truths about themselves, because our truths are our strengths and weaknesses all at once. It's often hard to know which truth is. Wise are those who have learned to trust Truths to be themselves, and let hindsight decide if it was weak or strong to be so.

When I read the author's foreword, thought not going to like this. It's written for himself and he doesn't care what we think or want.
Now I know authors don't owe us anything but if your writing for a living at least show readers some respect. Can't help feeling we aren't getting the third book, little tidbits here and there with the occasional novella.

Grumbling aside this is an enjoyable read, Auri is very compelling. We all get that feeling something isn't in its correct place and shift things round till we're happy.