The Slow Regard of Silent Things

Discussion in 'Patrick Rothfuss' started by willwallace, Nov 3, 2014.

?

Did you enjoy The Slow Regard of Silent Things?

1. Yes

80.0%
  2. No

10.0%
  3. Still mulling it over....

10.0%
  1. willwallace

willwallace Interested Observer

Hmm. Where to start a discussion of this little book? It starts out with an odd forward from the author, where he says that you may not like the tome. From there, Rothfuss takes you into the underground world of Auri, and it's a mighty strange place. The writing style is somewhat repetitive, but that is due to how Auri lives-everything in it's place, and a place for everything is her motto. And not just her motto, but an imperative she must follow.
    While it really doesn't add much at all to the overall trilogy, I do think there are some possibilities laid out for future actions involving Auri.

**Mini-Spoiler Alert**

When she prepares Kvothe's bed(as a gift), is it just her wackiness, or does she have some ability to see how things fit in the world(which is called Temerant, by the way), and foresees his needing it?

Does Auri really understand the world on a deeper level than others? There are hints that she does, and it may be this understanding which broke her in the first place.

I believe she will have an important role to play in the final book of the trilogy, but I'm not sure that's why Patrick wrote this book. I'm not sure he knows why he wrote it, when you read the endnote he says it just had to be written.
    Overall I found the story entertaining, although, again, the repetitiveness made it a little tough to read. However, it was necessary, I believe, to reinforce the daily struggle that is Auri's life.

2. Jo Zebedee

Jo Zebedee Come away, oh human child - Waters and the Wild

Okay, so I loved it. 13 for such a tiny book is hard to stomach (I got it half price and it was signed, so I'm not complaining) but it is beautiful, both in finish with lovely illustrations and in the story.

It may be that because I've had one of those weeks where I feel a bit broken and out of place that it resonated so strongly for me (and Pat's afterword choked me up, as it was so spot on) but I know this will be one of my duvet books to go back to and pick up and reread when I just need a comfort book. I only have three (maybe four) of them, so that's high praise.

So, yes, loved it and would recommend it to anyone who's felt a bit broken, or who loves prose for prose's sake, or who just wants something short and lovely.

willwallace and Boneman like this.
  3. Boneman

Boneman Well-Known Member

Gonna read mine this week, while cat-sitting at my son's house - treats in store!!

4. Boneman

Boneman Well-Known Member

So I've read it now... two times... and can't add anything more than wot Springs has said.

5. ratsy

ratsy www.scifiexplorations.com

I am lost for words on this book. Should it have been published? I'm not sure. I know there are a lot of people that will love the beautiful prose and Auri's story. I for one appreciated it but I cannot relate to Auri so it was a little trying to read some of it.

I did pay 12-13 dollars on it and was a little disappointed it was so short. I think I read it in a hour or so.

I will have to mull on it some more and one day when I re-read the Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear I will go back and see what I think

6. Jo Zebedee

Jo Zebedee Come away, oh human child - Waters and the Wild

I think it really only works if you can relate to Auri and, um, sadly I totally could. Not that it's what I want to relate to. :(

willwallace likes this.
  7. Renai LeMay

Renai LeMay RIP Iain M. Banks.

Loved it -- I felt as though it was a wonderful little tidbit from the world which Kvothe sits in. It reminded me at times of Ursula Le Guin's writing -- a light, delicate touch that was nonetheless delightful. It was great getting insight into Auri's world. Actually, I can't believe Rothfuss considered not publishing it -- I really feel as though this added quite a bit. I will never see Auri the same again.

Brian G Turner likes this.
  8. Kawa

Kawa Member

Did anyone else read this more like a poem than a book? I kept catching myself reading to some timing that my head made up.

9. Juliana

Juliana YA author, Juliana Spink Mills

I thought it was just beautiful. And sad, too. But mostly beautiful.

Th last time I enjoyed a novella that much, and thought it that perfect, was when I read Sanderson's 'The Emperor's Soul'.

willwallace likes this.
  10. Westie

Westie Nerd/Geek

I really enjoyed it. It was one of those stories where I couldn't put it down even though I had to get up for work early the next morning, and certainly gave a decent insight into the character

11. racheon

racheon New Member

I loved it, but I don't mind stories that don't seem to go anywhere. It was a sweet little story, and I'm always eager to know more about characters I already like, so a whole little novella about Auri was perfect :) I'm sure she has an important part to play later in Kvothe's story, so I can't wait to see how it all ties in.

Brian G Turner likes this.