November 2014 -- 75 word writing challenge -- VICTORY TO PHYREBRAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hex

Write, monkey, write
Rules:

Write a story inspired by the chosen theme and genre in no more than 75 words, not including the title.

ONE entry per person
NO links, commentary or extraneous material in the posts, please -- the stories must stand on their own

All stories Copyright 2014 by their respective authors,
who grant the Chronicles Network the non-exclusive right to publish them here

The complete rules can be found at Rules for the Writing Challenges

Contest ends at 11:59 pm GMT, November 23 2014

Voting Ends at 11:59 pm GMT, November28 2014

You do not have to submit a story in order to vote --
in fact, we encourage all Chrons members to take part in choosing a winner

The Magnificent Prize:

The Dignified Congratulations/Grovelling Admiration of Your Peers
and the challenge of choosing the next month's theme and genre

Theme: open

Genre: Fractured Fairy Tale

Last edited:
Hungry Like the Wolf

The little girl in the scarlet cloak stared at the old woman in bed. "Grandmother! What big eyes you have!"

"I'm wearing my reading glasses, you silly child. They make everything look big."

"Grandmother! What big teeth you have!"

"They're dentures. They never did fit right. I hope you brought something I can eat this time. I'm starving."

The little girl opened her basket. It was full of crisp apples, Brazil nuts, and sticky toffees.

GINGER

We were born under the fire, my family and I. All we knew was the scorching of our flesh as it turned from soft to crispy. Our blazing bodies filled our chamber with the stench of ginger.

Then, 'She' came. She lifted us from the furnace. She rested us on cool, paper beds. I thought She was our saviour; we all did.

She lifted me up and smiled, hungrily. Her teeth crunched my head off.

Gold Hair Girl Plus Bear Trio

Once upon some time Gold Hair Girl goes into wood, gets lost.

Bear trio have warm-oats-plus-milk - OUCH!
They head away, food must cool.

Girl sees then goes into home.
This seat over huge, that seat over tiny, girl find best seat, sits.
OUCH! - seat bust.

Girl next want food.
Bear trio come home!
Girl stab each bear with bits from bust seat.
Bear meat very nice.

Lips the Colour of Blood

Back against the ancient oak my heart pounded and my chest heaved. The forest held its breath.

“Princess.” Grief choked the huntsman’s voice. “I dare not disobey the queen.”

“I know,” I said. “I understand.”

The knife drove deep. Twisted. His face grimaced and a diamond tear rolled as a hand reached into the cavity to seize the pulsing mass inside.

Horror glazed his dying face as I raised it to my mouth and ate.

The Last Straw
The room gleamed with gold, gold everywhere there had been straw before. The King beamed at the miller's daughter. "We'll be married immediately."

But she, remembering the terror of the night before, her desperate, frantic weeping until the dwarf arrived to save her, shook her head. "Three times you threatened to kill me, Your Majesty, unless I satisfied your greed."

She exchanged a fond glance with her diminutive fiancé.

"I'm marrying Rumplestiltskin!"

Watched

You waited.

During my white-hooded Spring, when I was pure and new.

Through the yellow hood of rising Summer you stayed near, waiting for Fall's soft greying-green of faded childhood. You took my protectors on the path, one by one, with your big teeth and claws until, at last, I donned Winter's red hood. You stepped from between the trees and smiled, and bowed, and took me, your hooded prey.

Last edited:
A Wolf in the Nursery

Mary had a big bad wolf?
His fur was specked with… gore?

“Umm…”

“Keep reading, Nan’.”

Everywhere that Mary went,
Her wolf would go for sure.

Wolfie went to see nasty Nan’,

“Mary…”

“Read.”

Who wouldn’t give Mary cake.
He knocked down Nan’s door,
And ate her like… steak?

KNOCK KNOCK… CRASH!

Mary had a lovely cloak,
A deep shade of red,
Luckily it didn’t show up stains,
‘Cos Nan, oh how she bled.

The Fairy King O’er the Seven Seas of Rhye

The Fairy King of Zanzibar--Hermes' ancient twin--sought fair isle Albion to woo the White Queen, estranged from Great King Rat.

When May came, in clothes tailor-fitted, the supplicant with deacon attendant made plea to the queen in her home, the Lap of the Gods.

But cursed he by Black Queen’s lips, all fairy blood and valley lilies poisoned. Zanzibar’s golden thrush passed away o’er Rhye’s Seven Seas, to trill at Bohemia’s opera.

Last edited:
The Bitter End

“Lady, let down your hair!” The prince awaited the sorceress.

Imprisoned as a child to avert the dark prophecy, her power had blossomed regardless. The prince had fallen and yet another land was doomed.

I thought to protect the world from my sisters. But the south had fallen to Snow, the east to Sleep and now the north would follow.

I turned my cloak to raven-dark wings and fled west, croaking, “Nevermore.”

Reflections

Smothering darkness, heavy chains, solitude.

Decades(centuries?eons?) of silence fall before the sudden shaking of earth. The ceiling cracks open, as I knew it would.

A sliver of moonlight arrives, and the goblet, meant to taunt, instead reflects it to my bare chest. Instantly restored, the chains fall from my limbs, and I rise up to full height, head scraping the tall roof.

Let her beware, the night of the wolf is arrived.

Last edited:
Moral Hazard

You know what greases the wheels of commerce? Trust. Without trust, you got nuthin'. People got to pay their debts or nobody's ever gonna take a risk again.

Like, they wouldn't pay up after I got rid of the rats, so I took the kids. Ain't gonna welch on a deal again, are they? Bingo – trust restored!

But do I wish I coulda done it different...?

Nah... I'm a businessman, not a ****ing charity worker!

A Tiny Dilemma

Thumbelina sat beside the host of ‘Mini Date’, the hottest show on television.

She couldn't see the male contestants behind the wall.

“So who’ll it be, Thumbelina? Contestant one, who claims he owns his own ‘pad’? Contestant two, who lives underground or Contestant three, who claims to be heir to the flower-fairy throne?”

“I don’t want my husband to croak, and I need my vitamin D, so the fairy flower guy it is.”

Heir Today

Languishing in iv'ry tower
Braiding out her flaxen hair
Praying for a dashing prince to
Rescue her from witch's snare

'Til one day she spies a noble
Riding by upon his steed
Beckons him approach her window
Climb her hair and set her free

Gracefully she lowers her locks down
But extensions fails to check
Tower half climbed her braids are loosened
So he falls and breaks his neck

The dragon was having a nice cup of chamomile paraffin after a long day’s treasure hunting when the front door burst open to admit 5 trolls.
“Fumble” “and Dumble” growled the first two.
“Drognor”, “Bognor” and “Frogspoor”
“Got any rock cakes?”
“And mud pies?”
“AND MORE BEER!”

“Right,” said the worm later.” The job is to waylay a bunch of self righteous dwarves who are after my treasure.
Oh! and they don’t like spiders.”

Thanksgiving

As Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall.
He knew that he was fated to fall.
And thus he planned the scheme to be foiled.
Prior to it, he had himself boiled.

The horses and knights celebrated.
As the tragedy was abated.
Thus the king and his people did feast.
Upon a deviled egg and some meat.

A Fractured Fairy Tail

The doctor bustled into the room, face flushed. ‘Mrs Bell, is it?'

'Miss.'

'Of course. Sorry to keep you waiting. It's crazy tonight - talk about the witching hour.' He crossed to the lightbox and slid the film in. 'Good news - it's not broken. Just a hairline fracture--' he traced a finger across the x-ray '--through the coccyx. Painful, but it'll mend soon enough. Just think happy thoughts. Oh, and buy a donut cushion.'

Swine Lake

Current score: Wolf 2 Pigs 0

“Let me in, let me in,” roared the wolf.

“Not by the hair on my chinny, chin chin. I’m safe from your foul, stormy breath, so p*ss off.”

The wolf appeared beaten but had an ace up his sleeve. A friend, who happened to be a talented writer, loaned him his homemade gadget.

Final score: Wolf 3 Pigs 0

I love the smell of pork chops in the morning.

Slipping booty

"High-tension cable, or substation, perhaps?"

"That'd explain Will's coma - but the bulldozer?"

"There's a mixed team flying in to investigate."

Indeed the mixed 'thwap/throb' of a heavy helicopter grew, forcing him louder too. Almost shouting, followed by dead silence, then a crash.

Binoculared, Ray scrambled to look at the stone folly, at the heart of bramble and thorn thicket, and now motionless helicopter. Old, polished wood reflected through a window.

A spinning wheel?

What Happened East of the Sun and West of the Moon

The North Wind had taken the girl to the castle east of the sun and west of the moon.

She found the prince who wished for her, and the two of them devised a plan to free him.

The troll princess and her mother dropped dead. The prince smiled and kissed the girl he loved, but she only sank a knife into his abdomen.

“I’d rather have the castle,” she said.

Status
Not open for further replies.