Apocalyptic novel involving healing bacteria

butterbean

What I can remember about the book so far

At the beginning, a man is leaving a lab with a vial of fossilized bacteria. A homeless crackhead sees him with the vial and tries to take it, thinking it's drugs. When the man resists, the crackhead beats him to death. Several hours later, the man returns to life, apparently as a result of the fossilized bacteria, which it turns out has the power to regenerated dead or damaged tissue and even reanimate corpses (not zombies). The dead also rise from their graves, and one of the resurrected is a young woman (I believe by the name of Anna or something similar) who was buried in the 1800's. Another character ends up falling in love with her. There is also a very strange man who is later revealed to be the Antichrist, and it's revealed that he murdered his mother at birth by ripping a vein or artery in her birth canal, causing her to bleed to death. There is also a battle of armageddon, near the end of the book. I can't remember the name of the book or the author. Has anyone read it that might remember?

I really hope someone has read this book it's really frustrating that I can't remember the name I've googled but its no use

It may possibly be "The Lakes of Fire" by Joseph Letteriello, published in 1974. I'm unable to find a plot summary to confirm.

It may possibly be "The Lakes of Fire" by Joseph Letteriello, published in 1974. I'm unable to find a plot summary to confirm.

Thanks for posting your own probable answer. I'm sure someone else will appreciate it down the line.

It's not too often that someone posts something about which nobody has the faintest idea!

Thanks Victoria, but that's not it. In the book I read, the bacteria isn't "used" to reanimate the dead, it just happens. Also, they're not zombies. They come back to life as normal people. But thank you for trying to help.

This sounded like an interesting read, and I found it used on Amazon for only $3.47. Needless to say it should arrive by Wednesday. ☺

Been about 17 years since I read it, but from what I can remember it was very engrossing.

After reading the book, I'm glad I got it used for so cheap. While the story idea itself was, I thought, very good, the writing style was hard to take. Characters were very two dimensional. A lot of scenes were not fleshed out enough, but kind of herky-jerky. It's almost as if this was two or three books that got edited down to one; it feels like a lot was left out that needed explaining. The dialogue also could have been better written.
Overall the originality of the story kept me in to the end, but it could have been done much better than it was, it my opinion.

I'm not a very picky reader. I look for a good story, interesting characters, a good plot twist and a good ending and that's pretty much it lol.

I'm not a very picky reader. I look for a good story, interesting characters, a good plot twist and a good ending and that's pretty much it lol.

Well, it definitely had all that. I just believe that better editing could have done wonders for the book.

Any chance you'd be willing to scan it as a pdf and upload it somewhere that I could download it? I've searched google up and down, there is a preview on google books but no ebook anywhere.

Perhaps, but I don't have a scanner, and I'm a full-time student, so I'm pretty broke lol.