Question about Fitz and his role as the catalyst.

jessatt

Hi, I'm new to the Robin Hobb's work and am just finishing off Assassin's Quest. The one thing I can't figure out about the story is why Fitz is the catalyst. Surely it can't be just because he's a ******* because if that was the defining aspect of a catalyst (a ******* in the Farseer blood line) then Chade could also be a catalyst. Clarification on this would be helpful :) Love the books btw.

I guess this may not be an easy question as no one has answered. But since I'm now halfway through Fool's Fate, I guess I'll give it a go and see if anyone thinks I'm close to answering my own question. So Fitz is the catalyst not just because he is a ******* because of the time he was born? So he was born and lived during the pivotal years of Regal's disloyalty and the Red Ship Wars?

The fool explains it in the last book of the Tawny man trilogy i think.

It's been ages since i read it but it kinda comes down to this. The fool sees all kind of futures, it's his goal to make sure dragons return to the world thus creating a balance between humans and dragons for the world's dominion. In the path that dragons live, Fitz is in almost at all the crossroads. Should Fitz die , so too does the path in which dragons survive. thatswhy Fitz is the fool his catalyst. He changes, allows/enables others to change, make certain choices which allows the future, and the path in which dragons remain in existance remains alive.