Horrible Histories

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Anyone here read any Horrible Histories books?

I know they're pitched at kids - one of my daughter's is really into them.

Here's the thing - they are actually seriously informative. History delivered in bite-sized chunks, with a twist of humour - and very well researched.

Have started the one on Romans and it's absolutely great - I can't recall ever reading such a concise history of Rome! Of course, it is superficial in many places with regards to political history - but that's not least because it deals with living history as well.

Definitely recommended on the strength of what I've read so far, and I plan to read more.

Would love to here if anyone else has tried them?

Pretty much all my history knowledge as a kid came from them, and certainly the most interesting things I know comes from them! Groovy Greeks was my first. Brilliant books.

And yes, the tv show is even better. Absolutely hilarious, excellent programme.

I haven't, but I know of them and I really need to get them! They're in great favor on the gifted board that I frequent. We do have one Murderous Maths book.

I love them.

I remember someone trying to shrug off the WW2 story of Soviet anti-tank dogs (perfectly true - including the retreat of an entire armoured division when the dogs ran the wrong way), but they do make mistakes. The swimming tanks were also real and - contrary to HH - they actually worked, except at Omaha, where they were launched too far out, in sea conditions they weren't meant to encounter.

I have most of the series, they are very good and so is the TV series based on them.

A friend loaned me the first two series, I was highly amused, the jokes are good, the humour (relying on some actually quite subtle poo gags) acts as a good yuk factor drawing the attention of the children, while allowing them to get some decent historical facts on board without em realising. Love it even as an adult!

Never read the books but the TV series is worth it just for the song & dance numbers.