The Flash

The Bluestocking

Bloody Mary in Blue
Anyone else trying out The Flash?

I found the season premiere reasonably entertaining although whether it'll ramp up or fizz out is anyone's guess.

I'll be watching it, the Arrow and Constantine. But I don't think I will have time and energy to cover all of them. Besides the point I was expecting Flash coming to save Arrow in last season, instead he spent most of that time in the bed, although in the pilot the recovery in much sooner than what has been shown the Arrow.

Last edited:
This show caught my eye for some reason and I somehow found out it was connected to Arrow, so I gave that a try with a few episodes and didn't like it but still gave Flash a try and the first episode was fine by me - I'll watch the next one.

The Green Arrow made an appearance for one scene in the season premiere. It was a pretty good scene. I quit watching Green Arrow for 1.5 seasons now. Maybe I need to get back to watching it. It was a little too melodramatic to me which was why I quit. Maybe it's gotten better?

It's on my watch list. I also quit green arrow about two thirds of the way through season 1

I enjoyed it, it works well and has plenty of hidden easter eggs for the fans.

Spoiler
Not only was the main villain Flash Rogues Gallery alumnus The Weather Wizard, but we saw got to see a broken cage with Grodd written on it - Gorilla Grodd being a classic Flash foe; during the murder of Mrs Allen we saw a glimpse of Professor Zoom and one of the aircraft had Ferris as it's logo. Ferris airlines was owned by Carl, then his daughter Carol Ferris, who was the girlfriend of Hal Jordan, Green Lantern. So are the CW setting up another show in their DC universe?

As a whole a good start to a new series. It seems DC might not be able to match Marvel on the big screen, but as far as the small screen goes they have the lead. Green Arrow grew over the course of the second series to become, possibly, the best comic related show so far, and complimented with The Flash, with a crossover already they have a basis for a shared universe.

Marvel so far have the Agents of SHIELD that has improved but stumbled badly at the start of that first season.

Now need to work out how The_Bluestocking did that Spoiler button thingy...

I thought the premier was quite good. :)

I've not read the comics so am coming to it as a newbie, but I just watched the first ep and enjoyed it a lot - helped, I think, by the character being introduced last season in Arrow. I was hoping Felicity Smoak might make a cameo, especially as she kept going to visit him. Seems he's already forgotten about her, though!

I like it and will stick with it but I don't think it's reaching the same standard as Arrow, which I think is brilliant. I know it's early on but Flash is a bit clean and shiny. It's all bright colours and snazzy work spaces. It's also not feeling particularly orignal - which is no fault of the tv series. Journalist friend investigating the speedy red light just reminds me of Superman/Smallville. Plucky band of support crew, unrequited love, solving the murder of a loved one; seems very familar and essentially ticks a box in almost every superhero film/tv series we've seen. This is just the nature of superhero comics but there's a danger of saturation and I hope Flash can grow into something a little different.

Bugg, I too was surprised Felicity didn't show up in the first episode when he woke up. Surely, she'll make an appearance at some point?

I know it's early on but Flash is a bit clean and shiny.

I know what you mean. I think that's part of why I've enjoyed the first couple of episodes, though. So many of the shows I watch these days do the 'dark and grim' thing that I'm finding it kind of refreshing to have one that's just pure fun (at the moment, at least). :)

I know what you mean. I think that's part of why I've enjoyed the first couple of episodes, though. So many of the shows I watch these days do the 'dark and grim' thing that I'm finding it kind of refreshing to have one that's just pure fun (at the moment, at least). :)

Exactly. I watched some Arrow and (sorry, just my reaction) it seemed almost comically "serious" - and I didn't like any of the cast besides the blonde geek girl (who is completely unbelievable as a blonde geek girl). But Flash has a much more likeable cast and, while having some emotional content - the protagonist's mother is presumed to have been killed before young Flash's eyes after all! - manages to balance the seriousness with a sense of genuine fun and lightness. So, yeah, I think that's probably the key ingredient as to why I'm enjoying it, too. (Well, that, and it would be one of the coolest superpowers to have and I enjoy that and, again, enjoy them enjoying it.)

That said, I'm also enjoying Gotham - so far at least - so it's not like a dark vibe is an automatic dealbreaker.

Well I agree that Flash so far has been clean and shiny compared to the Arrow. But you guys are missing the episode beginning of Arrow's last season, where Barry arrived to help Green Arrow in a request of the blond geek girl, and the very end of that episode he gets zapped by a weird yellow lightning bolt. And it takes long, long time before he wakes up from the bed and realises that his life isn't over. Instead it has barely started.

In the note of two episodes that we have seen so far I cannot understand why is that Barry doesn't age faster than other people if his metabolism is super-charged? There just isn't an explanation for that, no other than it's one of those facts that the audience has to take as granted because there just isn't any good explanation for any of that stuff.

Has any of you thought that the guy Barry refers to have kidnapped her mum cannot be any other person then he? Or am I missing something because I haven't read Flash as extensively as what I have done with the Batman or the Green Arrow series?

But you guys are missing the episode beginning of Arrow's last season

Those three episodes of Arrow he appeared in last season helped this season get off to a good start, for me, because I wanted to see what happened to him ever since seeing them. I liked the way they did that.

And I've just seen that . . .

Felicity Smoak is set to appear in two upcoming episodes of The Flash. Yay! :D

My first impression of The Flash pilot is that it's more Smallville than Arrow. I didn't mind the costume when they debuted it months ago but now I'm really hoping they update it with less muted colors.
Loved the Grodd easter egg. Not a fan of the Geoff Johns origin but I do like Professor Zoom. The CGI used in the bank scene when the stained glass ceiling shattered wasn't great. Honestly prefer the Rogue's powers based on technology. I do kind of like that Barry has team Flash as support at S.T.A.R. Labs. Probably the best scene is when Ollie shows up and CW spoiled that months ago. That last scene was interesting and unexpected.

Episode 2 "Fastest Man Alive" was decent. Starting to actually like Grant Gustin as Barry in this episode.
The treadmill scene was kind of funny. Pretty cool showing of Multiplex's powers. I like Detective West being part of the S.T.A.R. Labs team. The final fight scene definitely reminded me of the Neo vs Smith fight in Matrix Reloaded. Tom Cavanagh is doing a good job as Dr. Wells.

This is one comic character I know virtually nothing about so I am happy that it's something to discover. So far I like where it's going. Also it's nice to see Robbie Amell back on TV. :D

The only thing I know about the Flash is from 2 episodes of the JLA cartoon, and his appearance in the Superman animated series. So, nothing. But, I'm loving this series. I like the fact that it's not as dirty as Arrow. It's a completely different tone, and it works, to me. DC is really getting television right. I think they're also doing pretty well with the villains. I mean, Flash is already a pretty lame character, IMO (from the comics, but this show is making me a Flash fan) and his rogues gallery is ... laughable. But, they're doing a great job of adapting the characters.

I also love the fact that his father is The Flash from the old (I think 90's) TV series. That was just genius casting.

It's on my watch list. I also quit green arrow about two thirds of the way through season 1

The first season was a liiiiiiiitttttle tough to get through, but it does start to pick up in the last half, and definitely gets good with season 2. I think they wanted to try and sink in the legitimacy of The Arrow with the first season, so there weren't that many ties to the comics. In season 2, they've basically said "F it. We can make some of this silliness badass."

And they did. Still has a bit of the tween drama, but less than season one. Consider giving it another try.

I would love to see Professor Zoom show up.:)