Plot mistake or hidden clue? Beware of spoilers (up to and including ADWD)

Groot

I'm re-reading game of thrones and have been very happy, to find that it all fits together nicely with the books that come after it. Until last night, when reading Jon's chapter when he finds out about Ned being imprisoned. Jon was thinking this:

Their wolves might have kept them safe, but lady is dead and nymeria's lost, they're all alone.

How does he know about their direwolves, if arya sent him a raven, I must have missed it, is Jon seeing this through his wolf dreams?

Yes, the wolves do have a sense for each other, but they are along way apart, and even if the animals had some sort of power, with reference to their other siblings. How would Jon know what ghost was thinking? And if they did all have these powers, Starks and wolf, they would know that bran and rickon are alive.

I'm going to keep in mind that the wolves may have more power than perhaps is realised. When reading on and see if it fit's into other parts, but for now I'm going with a plot mistake, and imagine arya sent Jon a raven off chapter.

Unless anyone can convince me otherwise?

I think the episode of the attack upon the Crown Prince and the aftermath would have been sensational news in the Seven Kingdoms. I think everyone heard the story.

Good point boas, also they brought lady's bones back to winterfell. It seems a little untidy for GRRM though, but more believable, I guess. The timing would work as well.

You definitely have a point about which information characters receive during their POVs and which they are assumed to know. Bran and Jon both actually get news of Eddard's death while Catelyn heard of it between her chapters.

GRRM actually did make a mistake regarding Sansa's memory. During the Siege of King's Landing, Sandor planned to rape Sansa but left after she sang for him. But in AFFC, Sansa remembered that he kissed her. When readers pointed it out, GRRM confessed he misremembered the scene. In one of his drafts, Sandor did kiss her... but not in the final print.

The story is so huge and has so many characters...

Interesting ive heard people talk about the sansa kiss, and wondered what on earth were going on about.

I've heard about bran horse that changes sex, ive only just re-read the description about bran horse dancer, which was quite detailled, so ill wait for that.

The other bit i found strange so far, although its more just me not thinking about it, was dany mentioning jamie killed her dad, it was in one of the first few sentences of dany first pov, there could be some hidden forshadowing in there, she also hasn't mentioned it since, so far.

Ive just finished re-reading the first book and this was the only line that i would question as a mistake, and as jon snow didn't mention it again, i think it is incorrect. Overall i'm very impressed with how it all fits together and make sense with the books that proceeded it and histories etc, especially with so much going on.

In ADWD, Jon's first chapter deal with wolf dreams. It certainly backs up Brian's comment that the direwolves can sense each other... and not just rely upon their human input to know what's happening far away.

i didn't think it was a mistake... just a way of letting us know that Jon was having wolf dreams, and that Ghost was connected to his litter-mates.

half way through re-reading book 2, bran's wolf dream chapters add to this, by knowing shaggydog is near him when he is summer, but it says it only works when the wolves are in close proximity. So the distance still is an issue.

I've not found any other mistakes, that I've noticed, only that i found calling the mountain clans, wildlings as a bit strange.

nothing too drastic but in kings landing the mountains clans have been refered to as wildlings, when in Tyrions service, once by cersei and once by sansa. it just made me pause for a second, and think thats odd, but i don't see any hidden meaning in it. just odd to use wildling, when you have another group named wildlings.

Ohh, tyrion's mountain clans. I honestly never noticed them being reffered to as wildlings, but I don't doubt that you are correct.

That is weird

I believe the term wildling is perjorative. Remember, the people north of the Wall refer to themselves as the Free Folk. The civilized people of Westeros use it to refer to the unwashed and hairy savages who live without refinement or religion. To the people of King's Landing, two thousand miles from the Wall, the Mountain Clans are the only wildlings they'll ever see... it's a catch-all phrase that separates cultured foreigners like Varys, Taena, and Jalabhar Xho from utter barbarians like Shagga, Osha, Ygritte, and Gilly.

I've just read Jon Snow at the Milkwater, where he has his Wolf dream, and it says he looked for his brothers and sisters but they where too far away.

Also Wildlings has been used to refer to the Mountain Clans many more times, in Sansa and Cersei chapters.

I'm also happy to report I haven't found anything else that I thought odd on my re-read, although Dany's vision with the Warlocks of Qarth and Quaithe, might need some explaining by the end of the series.

Just some more thoughts as now i'm up to the first few chapters of a dance with dragons. Jon's first chapter does go into detail about ghost being able to locate his brother and sisters and he realises that Lady and Grey Wind are dead, although he can't find summer.

My strange thought on this was how does Jon snow, or for that matter Ghost, know Bran's direwolf is called summer. Wasn't he named while jon snow was at castle black?

Yes call me picky, but it's because i'm not finding anything else to complain about, which for the series overall is very good.

It has been a few months since I read this, but I thought he said the one that smelled of summer, not actually using Summer as a name. I could be wrong though (and probably am)

Only one line to be fair, a thought from Jon about Queenscrown.

Summer, it had to be. His fur was grey, and Shaggydog is black.