Brent Weeks Comparison

AndrewT

I was wondering which is better, Night Angel or Lightbringer, and how those stack up against other newer works/series by cutting edge authors.

Night Angel is very good but the third book feels repetitive and the main character is very whiny. Havent read the other series but heard its better. Night Angel trilogy is complete, Lightbringer isnt.

I devoured Night Angel a few years ago and enjoyed them but the Lightbringer series is REALLY good

I haven't read him, but my impression is that Weeks is sort of the slightly-poor-man's Brandon Sanderson.

I don't think it's fair to call anyone the poor man's someone. Brent Weeks is a really good writer, and Lightbringer has a very cool magic system and plot. And there can be as many guys out there trying to emulate Sanderson because I love the non-grim fantasy with unique and exciting magic systems.

I tried Brandon Sanderson, but he either takes too long to get going or his writing is just a bit corny for me. I prefer Brent Weeks, and he seems to write shorter novels.

I like Lightbringer, but preferred Night Angel. :)

I like Brent's work a lot. To me, he's on a level with other contemporary authors like Scott Lynch and Peter Brett. As for style, hmm, difficult. Night Angel comparable maybe to Jay Kristoff's Stormdancer? Lightbringer is a bit different, more Sanderson in terms of magic system and characters. Lightbringer is a little, um, lighter and the magic system is more complex.