The Irwin Allen TV Series And Movie Thread

I think it was just too expensive to make. They made good use of unused clips from movies and old news reels, but you couldn't imagine anyone doing that today, and period sets and costumes are costly. Doctor Who suffered the same, which I expect is why there were so may episodes of that running down spaceship corridors and fewer on location in slate quarries. I agree with you about the potential. I really liked that series as a kid. I think that the not bringing them back home was a way to allow the episodes to be show out of order. That was very important with syndicated shows in the 1960's that might be on several different US stations, but I would certainly have liked to see a story arc. If they had been able to have developed further the Russian "secret weapon" and had had a time tunnel "space race" between the USA and USSR.

The Swarm about killer bees is not a very good , Beyond the Poseidon Adventure really bad and his final theatrical film The Day the World Ended , abysmal.
I saw the Swarm several years ago. To me, it broke the unwritten law that children must not be killed, much less en mass. Unlike the other disaster films, as I recall, there really was no victory at the ending, the hero could not say, "well, hundreds of people, including dozens of children were painfully killed, but it could have been worse" I was taken by surprise at any more than that one kid who found the hive being stung to death. You just do not show that kind of thing!

The Day the World Ended sounds like my kind of film!

The Return of Captain Nemo with Jose Ferrer 1978 lasted only about 4 episodes . Two navy divers find the Nautilus and Captain Nemo hibernation . He's on a quest for Atlantis but he has face of again an evil genius played by Burgess Meredith . I ended it the far time I saw it and was dinapinted that it did go long er . But in respect its really wasn't a very good show. the sad part is with better writing , it could been a very successful series.