Terror on Planet Ionus

Here's something interesting. The paperback edition acknowledges an earlier edition, from Farrar Straus Cudahy. I thought FSC was kind of one of the prestige houses, not the sort of outfit you'd expect to publish thrillers about Karkong the monster.
ionus farrar.jpg

The third page of the novel (p. 9 in this edition) contains an unusual typo -- instead of "letters," we have "letttters" -- four Ts.

Last edited:
What if the Syfy Channel decided to make this one into a movie ?:unsure:

For the love of whatever you hold to be holy, will one of the mods please delete this thread.

Please. Just expunge it from existence.

That way, I'll never see the name Terror on Planet Ionus again and I won't end up buying the bloody thing. Because that's what's going to happen. It is. I know it has an appalling review by Damon Knight and other comments back that up but they only want to make me want it more - just to see if it really is that bad.

Curse you Extollager!

Matteo and everyone following this thread --

I examined the interlibrary loan copy of Terror on Planet Ionus that I received earlier this week.

It is from a "special collection" at the Eastern New Mexico University in Portales. It's the Jack Williamson Library.

-----The Jack Williamson Science Fiction Library at Eastern New Mexico University has one of the top science fiction collections in the world. It contains more than 30,000 volumes, including:
  • science fiction books
  • SF pulps dating back to the early 1900s
  • manuscripts
  • correspondence
  • photographs
  • many other items

Many items were donated from the personal collection of science fiction pioneer Jack Williamson, a Grand Master of Science Fiction and winner of the Hugo and Nebula awards. Williamson earned his bachelor's and master's degrees from ENMU, taught for 17 years as a faculty member in the English department, endowed scholarships for ENMU students and underwrote the University's literary magazine, El Portal. He died in 2006 at age 98.

In 2006, the collection expanded with the donation of 15,000 volumes of science fiction books and magazines from R. Duane and Kathryn Elms of Silver City. The gift included one-of-a-kind items, first editions, signed editions and thousands of collectible publications.-----

Jack Williamson Science Fiction - MyENMU

The copy of Terror on Planet Ionus that I am reading seems to have been read before. The book is in good condition except for signs of age such as weakness to the binding, but it does seem to have been handled.

It might have been read by Jack Williamson himself!

Like I said, I'm reading it. But my inclination is to withhold a review-summary. That way you all will feel more compelled to read it too!!! Haaaaa!!

Mods...forget about deleting the thread. Delete Extollager!! The power has driven him mad. He must be stopped at all costs. If you don't, he will continue in his insane quest to persuade us all to read terrible sci fi books.

He must be stopped!!

Mods...forget about deleting the thread. Delete Extollager!! The power has driven him mad. He must be stopped at all costs. If you don't, he will continue in his insane quest to persuade us all to read terrible sci fi books.

He must be stopped!!

Read It Matteo because the book commands you to do so. You are powerless to resist. :alien:

Let me at it... where is it?> (searches online) ... Noooo.... all I can find is this alternate cover.
IonusTerror.jpg

Here is Section 2 of Chapter 7, in its entirety:

It [Karkong, I take it] was watching the two [Jeb and Janis] as they worked at the mirrors. Soon they would draw closer together and they could be taken by a single discharge. The killing force surged in its body, writhed for release. It waited, fighting itself, delaying the compulsive instinct to kill. Now! Now they were drawing closer! Soon...! Then it froze suddenly, sensing something. Something else, something alive, had just come to the surface. It could feel it, its senses drawn like a tropism. Yes! There! Another living creature standing in front of the opening. The opening leading from this depleted surface crust to the fulfillment of all craving and desire below!

Here is Section 2 of Chapter 7, in its entirety:

It [Karkong, I take it] was watching the two [Jeb and Janis] as they worked at the mirrors. Soon they would draw closer together and they could be taken by a single discharge. The killing force surged in its body, writhed for release. It waited, fighting itself, delaying the compulsive instinct to kill. Now! Now they were drawing closer! Soon...! Then it froze suddenly, sensing something. Something else, something alive, had just come to the surface. It could feel it, its senses drawn like a tropism. Yes! There! Another living creature standing in front of the opening. The opening leading from this depleted surface crust to the fulfillment of all craving and desire below!

Reading this is making my eyeballs bleed ! :eek:

Last edited:
“They were led staggering from the projectile and taken into weird black as a bat’s wing tunnels” (p. 73).

Finished reading it. Forty-eight years I waited. "While hunanity cringed on the ignited powder keg of the earth" (p. 154; sic).

A 30-ft. tall pile of burning pitch? Anyway, looks like A. Adler had something to do with the script for Forbidden Planet. Still no excuse.

J Riff, Adler might have had something to do with Forbidden Planet, but, being perhaps the only living reader of Terror on Planet Ionus, I can assure you that the two stories are different.

I can't prove I didn't read this... I had a ridiculous PB collection, I mean just about everything... and I alliis leant towards spaceoperish crudola... but you're probably right.

Back