Four throughlines and complete stories...

Fishbowl Helmet

Ask the next question...
So I came across this article today and wondered what people here though about their premise.

The gist is this: for a complete story you need four complete throughlines. One each for the main plot, main character arc, oppositional character arc, and the relationship between the MC and the oppositional character.

Here oppositional character doesn't mean the villain, rather a character the MC encounters or travels with whose view opposes the MC's view.

Sounds like it could be right or work at least, and they use Pixar as examples (which I'm a total sucker for), but I'm curious what others think about the piece.

Interesting. Maybe it could be put into even simpler terms.

You need some kind of event. You need a character. You need another character. You need the interaction between the characters.

I don't see how you could have a story (as opposed to a poem, essay, meditation, travelogue, character study, etc.) without all four, at a bare minimum.

Hi,

Not sure I agree. You don't necessarily need an oppositional character. Stories of survival alone don't have them though I'd guess the environment would serve as the oppositional character in some capacity.

Cheers, Greg.