Good Omens adapted for radio

Vertigo

Mad Mountain Man
Supporter
First I've heard of this but potentially very interesting:

http://www.terrypratchettbooks.com/?p=5525

This is one of my favourite books and I think it could work really well on radio.

EDIT: worth noting that the director, Dirk Maggs, also directed Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, which, for those who aren't aware, started life as a radio production and only later moved to book and screen.

Last edited:
I listened to most of the HHGTTG when I was working in BBC Comms. Neil Gaiman is a favourite of mine too. I look forward to this.
I also listen to R4 a lot, sometimes on Satellite (then via FM on an FM Radio), but sometimes on LW on my 1929 radio (better audio than any DAB set, partly due to giant speaker enclosure in the suitcase lid).
#
See also http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014...an-and-terry-pratchetts-good-omens-to-radio-4

Is it for the Christmas Season?

P.S.
I'm sure it's totally true about the M25

Yeah I looked at that article as well. I always liked the way neither of them accepted responsibility for the traffic Wardens!

It sort of suggests it's for the Christmas season but a six part series seems a little long for that. These days I thing I listen to more Radio 4 that I watch TV to be honest.

I'm actually rather surprised there's been so little interest here considering what high esteem both Gaiman and Pratchett are held in on the Chrons. Maybe I should have included their names in the title rather than just putting this thread in the Pratchett sub-forum. I think this has the potential to rank alongside HHDTTG.

Still remarkably little interest in this (I know I should have put Pratchett and Gaiman in the thread title!) but anyway final notice that tonight is the first two episodes.

All episodes:
Ep 1 22 Dec 23:00
Ep 2 22 Dec 23:30
Ep 3 23 Dec 23:30
Ep 4 25 Dec 23:30
Ep 5 26 Dec 23:27
Ep 6 27 Dec 14:30

I'm currently reading Good Omens. I did know about this because I 'like' Neil Gaiman on Facebook and the news popped up in my feed. I want to finish the book first though.

That makes sense Mouse.

I am enjoying the radio series so far, though I'm not sure how close to the book it is keeping as it has been a very long time since I read it. Certainly they have had to introduce differences to make it work with no narrative; for example, new scenes not in the book with conversations used to convey information that was originally presented in the narrative.
It is of course difficult to convey the transition from huge, red-eyed, slathering hellhound to cute little puppy with one ear inside out in a radio play but they did pretty darn well :D

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING," said Death. "JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO MISS THE RUSH."

My hearing is worse than usual due to recovering from a cold, so finding it hard to follow perfectly. But despite having read the book a few times, I'm enjoying it.
Actually I often find radio adaptations on R4 better than Films & TV. I have a special BGA* that seems to be no use to the Film/TV producers.
Recent ones:
Sword in Stone, Some Barchester Chronicles, Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep (Blade Runner), Hester (Mrs Oliphant). Others I forget right now due to my congested head!

I don't know if the Missionary on an Alien Planet was an Adaptation or made of radio (forget title).

There was a mad Comedy SF Spoof about an Alien that invaded and blocked off an English village a few weeks back, great fun.

*BGA Mk1 : Brain Graphics Adaptor: Perfect frame rate, fractal resolution (zoom in as much as you like) and instant real time rendering from text input or Audio recognition to text input. Can have GPF or Seg Fault due to poor illustrations or foot notes interrupting text. The Mk2 includes colour, which may not always be accurate. There are add-on daughter boards for smell and touch, but these are erratic for most users.

Last edited: