A Rediscovery of Clifford D. Simak - A Reading Challenge

So it now seems that Matt Reeves is going to adapt Way Station for Netflix.

Looks like there's a long way to go. I'm not optimistic, but you never know....

So it now seems that Matt Reeves is going to adapt Way Station for Netflix.

Looks like there's a long way to go. I'm not optimistic, but you never know....
In the Deadline announcement it states: "They are going out to writers to craft a large scale sci-fi thriller." This concerns me as it seems to indicate they want to decorate from the original. Matt Reeves had done some great work, hopefully if this happens it stays true.

Some news, fresh today, for Simak fans:

(1) Open Road has finally agreed -- partially -- to my repeated requests that they put more of my Simak collection volumes into paper -- on 1/15/20, they will be putting the following of my Simak collections into PRINT print:
#4: GROTTO OF THE DANCING DEER
#5: NO LIFE OF THEIR OWN
#6: NEW FOLKS HOME
#7: A DEATH IN THE HOUSE
#8: GOOD NIGHT, MR. JAMES

It has taken me years to prod them into going this far. My hope is that sales will be good enough to make them inclined to print the last six.... If you're one of those fans who has indicated a desire to have the books but an aversion to ebooks, please think seriously about this.

(2) On this coming Friday (Oct. 4, 2019), Early Bird Books will be selling the e-book version of ENCHANTED PILGRIMAGE for $1.99 -- the deal is good on that day only! and

(3) On Oct. 8, 2019, three other Simak novels will be available (for $1.99) as Kindle Daily Deals: A CHOICE OF GODS, A HERITAGE OF STARS, and TIME IS THE SIMPLEST THING. This deal, too, is good only on that day!

Great Whistling Websters! Fantastic! I'll be ordering my copies.

I'll let the Yahoo Simak Group know.

Last edited:
Mmmm…print!

1570272633360.png

I know the pricing strategy is nothing to do with you Dave, but I've just taken a look at Amazon to check the release date (yes, 14th January) of the Simak short story collections volumes IV to VIII, and was amazed by the prices of these new releases: £23.99 each. This is exploitative/just plain silly as far as I'm concerned, particularly for print on demand, the more so considering I, like many Simak fans, have all the stories already in some form of paper edition (OK, not the Westerns and Air, but those are uninteresting to me/us). In contrast volume II sells at £13.99, and Volume I at £11.06. I was looking forward to buying these, in part as a gesture of support, but not at this price. I can't see these prices appealing to the wider SF readership.
Oh well, at least they're becoming available in print.....

It is very welcome that 5 more volumes of the series "The Complete Short Fiction of Clifford D. Simak" are now available as printed editions. The books are very expensive, but I think it is a good investment.
But I'm rather curious if Dave will manage to publish the volumes 13 and 14 at least as e-book sometime. The publication of volumes 10 to 12 was in July 2017!
It would be a great pity if this attempt to collect all stories in one book series would remain unfinished.

It is very welcome that 5 more volumes of the series "The Complete Short Fiction of Clifford D. Simak" are now available as printed editions. The books are very expensive, but I think it is a good investment.
But I'm rather curious if Dave will manage to publish the volumes 13 and 14 at least as e-book sometime. The publication of volumes 10 to 12 was in July 2017!
It would be a great pity if this attempt to collect all stories in one book series would remain unfinished.
I've been delayed with the last two, by personal problems -- serious medical issues for my wife. But in fact I have the last two volumes nearly completed...

I know the pricing strategy is nothing to do with you Dave, but I've just taken a look at Amazon to check the release date (yes, 14th January) of the Simak short story collections volumes IV to VIII, and was amazed by the prices of these new releases: £23.99 each. This is exploitative/just plain silly as far as I'm concerned, particularly for print on demand, the more so considering I, like many Simak fans, have all the stories already in some form of paper edition (OK, not the Westerns and Air, but those are uninteresting to me/us). In contrast volume II sells at £13.99, and Volume I at £11.06. I was looking forward to buying these, in part as a gesture of support, but not at this price. I can't see these prices appealing to the wider SF readership.
Oh well, at least they're becoming available in print.....
I am astonished to hear of these prices, Hugh. Can you tell me if these prices are only for the new releases scheduled for later this month? Or is this the pricing on the earlier-released volumes, too?
I'm assuming these prices are for Amazon UK, given that they're in pounds... (What are the novels going for?)

Sorry, my friend -- I didn't mean to jump on you -- that's an indication of my astonished dismay...

I am astonished to hear of these prices, Hugh. Can you tell me if these prices are only for the new releases scheduled for later this month? Or is this the pricing on the earlier-released volumes, too?
I'm assuming these prices are for Amazon UK, given that they're in pounds... (What are the novels going for?)

Sorry, my friend -- I didn't mean to jump on you -- that's an indication of my astonished dismay...
Now that my initial irritation/disappointment has died down, I appreciate that these prices really do not matter that much in the bigger scheme of things, even if I think they are exploitative/silly/short-sighted. It just means I won't be buying them and that's no big deal. Buying them would be more of a gesture of appreciation than anything else.

Here are the Amazon.uk prices for the "Complete Short Fiction of Clifford D. Simak" paperbacks...

Vol I £20.99 (increased from £11.06 only yesterday)
Vol II £13.99
Vol III £13.30
Vol IV £23.99
Vol V £23.99
Vol VI £23.99
Vol VII £23.99
Vol VIII £23.99

Other Open Road editions....
Way Station £13.99
A Heritage of Stars £14.99
Highway of Eternity £20.99
Special Deliverance £9.55 (reduced from £15.99)
The Goblin Reservation £14.99

Last edited:
Based in New Zealand, I don’t/can’t use Amazon, and so I usually use Book Depository. Only three volumes on their website, at $35 NZD, reduced from their regular price of $44 NZD, which is similar, high pricing to Amazon. The later ones which cost most on Amazon are not available to me.

I feel this is too expensive as well, unfortunately.

Incidentally, Booktopia, the other big online retailer I can use also have only the first three, all are priced at $37.

Thanks to all of you for the info -- I had no idea that the prices across the waters were so high... Wow!
I cannot imagine that Open Road is really responsible for this...well, at least not entirely responsible -- my hunch is it's Amazon (but I know nothing of Booktopia or Book Depository).
I cannot think of anything I could do about it. But if an opportunity presents itself that might at least register that I'm unhappy about it, I'll whisper in Open Road ears...

Incidentally, Booktopia, the other big online retailer I can use also have only the first three, all are priced at $37.
Not to change the subject but I am in admiration of that Kelly Freas illo you're using... (I'm always amused to be reminded of how often Kelly used himself for his model...).
I miss him, too.