A Rediscovery of Clifford D. Simak - A Reading Challenge

Hugh

Supporter
Goodnewsgoodnewsgoodnews for Simak enthusiasts

Francis Lyall's "Clifford D. Simak - an Affectionate Appreciation" becomes available on the 17th January

Frank was the editor of those Simak short story collections published in the 1980/90s (*listed at end of post) and knew Cliff well. I've been looking forward to this very much.

1579014358543.png

Here's the UK Amazon link:

*If you're into old paperback collections, here they are...
So Bright the Vision
The Marathon Photograph
The Autumn Land and Other Stories
Immigrant and Other Stories
Off-Planet
Brother and Other Stories
The Civilisation Game and Other Stories (hardback)
The Creator and Other Stories (hardback)

Last edited:

paulannis

Thanks to all of you for the info -- I had no idea that the prices across the waters were so high... Wow!
I cannot imagine that Open Road is really responsible for this...well, at least not entirely responsible -- my hunch is it's Amazon (but I know nothing of Booktopia or Book Depository).
I cannot think of anything I could do about it. But if an opportunity presents itself that might at least register that I'm unhappy about it, I'll whisper in Open Road ears...
Greetings. I'm a new member based in the UK. I have just rediscovered this site which I first stumbled upon a couple of years ago.

I came across The Complete Short Fiction of Clifford D. Simak in 2017, and ordered the first three volumes in paperback. I'd never read much Simak before — just a few short stories in anthologies over the years — and had decided I would like to read more. Since 2017 I've been monitoring the situation, as more volumes were published electronically. I continued to hope that more volumes would appear in print.

Finally in early November 2019 I sent an email to marketing@openroadmedia.com, the most promising contact address I could find, to ask when the last two volumes would be published, and whether the whole series would be made available in paperback. I don't know whether my message got through, as I received no reply, but I hoped that it might provide some encouragement.

So the news that five more volumes will be appear as print-on-demand (POD) paperbacks this year is excellent news. I would just like to encourage others not to worry about the prices listed on Amazon. These days, it seems to be usual for Amazon to list books at the full recommended retail price, and then to drop the price after publication, so I am sure the prices of these books will drop once the POD publication date has passed.

In any case, I find I can get most books more cheaply from other online sellers. I bought one of the Simak Short Fiction volumes from an Amazon third-party seller, and the other seller from other online sources. All were new copies, not even "Like New".

UK-based purchasers should try the following sites: Book Depository (which is owned by Amazon but is occasionally cheaper), Books Etc., Booksplease, Wordery, SpeedyHen, Blackwell's.

These are their current prices for A Death in the House And Other Stories:

Book Depository — £23.99
Books Etc. — £15.61
Booksplease — not listed
Wordery — £17.19
SpeedyHen — not listed
Blackwell's — £15.99

SpeedyHen and Booksplease will probably have the five new POD volumes in due course, as they do list the POD editions of the first three books. Booksplease in particular often takes a while to add items to their listings.

I'm looking forward to the next five volumes. Many thanks to Dave Wixon for all the work he has put into this series.

Hugh

Supporter
UK-based purchasers should try the following sites: Book Depository (which is owned by Amazon but is occasionally cheaper), Books Etc., Booksplease, Wordery, SpeedyHen, Blackwell's.

Book Depository — £23.99
Books Etc. — £15.61
Booksplease — not listed
Wordery — £17.19
SpeedyHen — not listed
Blackwell's — £15.99

SpeedyHen and Booksplease will probably have the five new POD volumes in due course, as they do list the POD editions of the first three books. Booksplease in particular often takes a while to add items to their listings.

I'm looking forward to the next five volumes. Many thanks to Dave Wixon for all the work he has put into this series.
Thank you Paul for listing these comparative prices. I've just purchased from Books etc.
15.68 today, while Amazon still lists at 23.99. I was unwilling to buy from Amazon at their price.

Hugh

Supporter
I've just posted some comments on Francis Lyall's "Clifford D. Simak: An Affectionate Appreciation" in the February 2020 Reading thread. It should be available here:

you'll have to scroll down the page to entry 110.

Last edited:

The Judge

Truth. Order. Moderation.
Staff member
For those too lazy to scroll, here's Hugh's post direct February 2020 Reading Thread

(For anyone wondering if it's my mod powers that allows me to do that, I don't think it is. At the top right of every post there's a number. Click on that and the address-thingummy at the top of the page that you copy to get the link shows the Chrons thread reference and page number as usual but also the post number itself.)

Hugh

Supporter
Aha! Many thanks @The Judge
I've added a further comment here re Simak's personal favourites:

yes this does work, despite the unpromising text below...

Hugh

Supporter
So the news that five more volumes will be appear as print-on-demand (POD) paperbacks this year is excellent news. I would just like to encourage others not to worry about the prices listed on Amazon. These days, it seems to be usual for Amazon to list books at the full recommended retail price, and then to drop the price after publication, so I am sure the prices of these books will drop once the POD publication date has passed.

In any case, I find I can get most books more cheaply from other online sellers. I bought one of the Simak Short Fiction volumes from an Amazon third-party seller, and the other seller from other online sources. All were new copies, not even "Like New".

Book Depository — £23.99
Books Etc. — £15.61
Booksplease — not listed
Wordery — £17.19
SpeedyHen — not listed
Blackwell's — £15.99

Many thanks again @paulannis for suggesting buying from sellers other than Amazon. I've now bought all five of the new volumes from Books Etc - @£40.00 cheaper overall than the Amazon listings.

Hugh

Supporter
Well, many thanks @2DaveWixon!

I finally got round to reading one of your Open Road Collections: Volume Five, "No Life of Their Own" and it's a real joy.

Although I've read all the SF stories before, at least twice, enough time has gone by that I've actually managed to forget much of the detail, and reading them in the new format instead of in old battered paperbacks/ disintegrating pulps/ photocopies, alongside your introductions, is like coming at them afresh.

Many thanks! I look forward to the other seven paperbacks I've had on the shelf waiting for such a moment.

Last edited:

Hugh

Supporter
Many thanks again @2DaveWixon . I've just read through the eight paperback editions of "The Complete Short Fiction". A joy. I'd been waiting for the point when it felt sufficient time had elapsed since my last significant read through. yes, a joy. Tremendous achievement of yours to have brought these out. Reading them in a different context (not in the old paperbacks etc) with your introductions really felt as if I was coming at them completely afresh.
I'll now email Open Road asking them to bring out the next four in paperback (who knows, they might get round to it.)

In the meantime I hope very much that your wife continues her recovery.

2DaveWixon

Shocked and Appalled!
Just to let you all know that the fault for Open Road's failure to publish the last two volumes of the (14-volume) collection of the COMPLETE SHORT FICTION OF CLIFFORD D. SIMAK lies with me -- simply put, I've got those last two volumes all ready to go, except for their introductions...
I'll try to do better.

Ralf 58

Simak Bibliograph
Just to let you all know that the fault for Open Road's failure to publish the last two volumes of the (14-volume) collection of the COMPLETE SHORT FICTION OF CLIFFORD D. SIMAK lies with me -- simply put, I've got those last two volumes all ready to go, except for their introductions...
I'll try to do better.
Hello, Dave,
I'm glad to see you here again. And I'll continue to wait patiently, of course. I and many other fans would be very happy if you make it this year.