The Worst Animated Tv Series and Characters of All Time

It's hard to judge modern cartoons, as most of them aren't made for us oldies. I'm sure if you showed sone of our favourites, they would probably dislike them too - partly simply because they're old, partly because they weren't made for kids of our era.

The Legend of Zelda animated series is awful. Link is an obnoxious weirdo creep who makes lewd comments at Zelda and repeatedly tries to get her to kiss him. No wonder Nintendo are so protective about films/series featuring their characters.

"Excuuuuuse me, Princess." Worst catchphrase ever. I just watched the first few minutes, and he's wolf-whistling at Zelda in the opening scene!

Last edited:
The Legend of Zelda animated series is awful. Link is an obnoxious weirdo creep who makes lewd comments at Zelda and repeatedly tries to get her to kiss him. No wonder Nintendo are so protective about films/series featuring their characters.

"Excuuuuuse me, Princess." Worst catchphrase ever. I just watched the first few minutes, and he's wolf-whistling at Zelda in the opening scene!

Ive seen this cartoon abomination and, it certainly hasn't improved with age. :D

Johnny Bravo . Aggravating and irritating Elvis like character. Sets my teeth on edge. :mad:

This nomination will only have meaning to those that could receive STV (so lowland Scotland mainly) and were about in the 70's and 80's:

Although I have reasonably fond childhood memories of it, I am pretty sure that Glen Michael's Cavalcade was filled with the cheapest, crappiest cartoons known to man (with a few exceptions - Warner Bros + Tex Avery cartoons and a bit of road runner I suppose...) Although perhaps I'm being harsh - after all it had a talking lamp, Paladin. You just don't get that ingenuity nowadays in turning a bizarre piece of studio junk/prop into a children's TV persona. (Is it my imagination or was the lamps catch phrase 'a-Shee-a-wah'??)

If I were to nominate a whole studio for worst, I'd give it to Hanna-Barbera. For all the positives for series with characters like Dastardly and Muttley, they blighted the world with the Flintstones, Top Cat and Scrappy Doo. These were the special turds that floated to top of a big cesspit IMHO. :)
The Flintstones ran for about 5 seasons; likely modeled on the Honeymooners, because both FF & Ralph Cramden could not succeed in much of anything.

Rhubarb & Custard. Pretty dreadful animation for its time (mid 70s I think). The only saving grace was the voice-over by Richard Briers.

Marine Boy - Just bad in every department
I knew a guy who had a ton of Japanese language DVDs & Marine Boy, though named differently, was one of them. Neither of us knew any but a few words of Japanese, but we watched these adoringly. Splasher's real name is [no racial slur intended] Whitey.

Anyone remember Batfink? Courageous Cat & Minute Mouse? The latter is or was available on Prime.

The very old Superman Theatrical Series -Fleischer Studios Fliescher SUPERMAN cartoons are pretty bad. LL just cannot resist getting into mortal danger, from which SM must save her.

The Flintstones ran for about 5 seasons; likely modeled on the Honeymooners, because both FF & Ralph Cramden could not succeed in much of anything.

I remember being entranced by Rocky and His Friends (Rocky and Bullwinkle) when started in 1959, it was a funny clever cartoon show.
I guess I thought in 1960 that new cartoon shows were going to be pitched at both adults and kids with subtle humor.
When The Flintstones was announced (summer 1960) as The Honeymooners in 'cave-man-times' I thought that's a clever idea it should be good. I guess I did not know that Hanna-Barbera were not at the same level with Rocky creators Jay Ward and Alex Anderson. I was sorely disappointed at the flatfooted pedestrian to juvenile humor I watched a couple of episodes and have never watched it again.
Never have understood the popularity of that show , it was many cuts below Jackie Gleason's Honeymooners.

I remember being entranced by Rocky and His Friends (Rocky and Bullwinkle) when started in 1959, it was a funny clever cartoon show.
I guess I thought in 1960 that new cartoon shows were going to be pitched at both adults and kids with subtle humor.
When The Flintstones was announced (summer 1960) as The Honeymooners in 'cave-man-times' I thought that's a clever idea it should be good. I guess I did not know that Hanna-Barbera were not at the same level with Rocky creators Jay Ward and Alex Anderson. I was sorely disappointed at the flatfooted pedestrian to juvenile humor I watched a couple of episodes and have never watched it again.
Never have understood the popularity of that show , it was many cuts below Jackie Gleason's Honeymooners.

It's way overrated.

Superjail is extremely violent, but in a way that is more than just funny.

Back