WHAT Are Your Favorite Spaceships from Movies And Television?

latest

Narn Heavy Cruiser: Babylon 5

I remember how weird I thought the Enterprise looked back in 1966. Now the Star Trek designs look normal. LOL

psik

1404810174-9b9f9ca81d5710a16146daf4b3d44f47.png

I was watching "The 5th Element" a few days ago, and had completely forgotten about this weird-looking spacecraft!

1404810174-9b9f9ca81d5710a16146daf4b3d44f47.png

I was watching "The 5th Element" a few days ago, and had completely forgotten about this weird-looking spacecraft!

They had some really cool spaceships in that film.:cool:

latest

Narn Heavy Cruiser: Babylon 5

I remember how weird I thought the Enterprise looked back in 1966. Now the Star Trek designs look normal. LOL

psik

I always thought Babylon 5's ships looked a whole lot cooler.:cool:

As far as Star Wars fighters go, there is no substitute for the X-Wing. That said, the first time I saw a B-Wing on the screen, I got as close to the TV as I could to see just how this awesome contraption was configured. I didn't get it straight in my head until I saw this image on a scale model box or promo art or some such:

BWingsKillISD2-ST.jpg

Even the designer name sounds cool: Slayn & Korpil. Consider me slain. :cool:

As far as Star Wars fighters go, there is no substitute for the X-Wing. That said, the first time I saw a B-Wing on the screen, I got as close to the TV as I could to see just how this awesome contraption was configured. I didn't get it straight in my head until I saw this image on a scale model box or promo art or some such:

BWingsKillISD2-ST.jpg

Admittedly the B-Wing does look cool, that is a nice graphic too by the way, my only problem though is I tend to gravitate towards symmetry in spaceship design. I remember as a kid it always seemed so strange to me how the Millennium Falcon cockpit sits on the side.

Any ideas for a practical reason towards non symmetrical spaceship design? Or is it purely for aesthetics?

I've been thinking about this a bit since I originally posted this response and I've come up with a potential reason.

I think it's reasonable to assume that a spaceships center mass is most likely to be struck by enemy fire first, with that being the case setting the cockpit off to the side could improve survival chance for the pilot(s), assuming there are fail safes in place to protect against the vacuum of space, and hoping the the ship doesn't explode catastrophically. Maybe kind of a stretch, (I don't recall it ever saving anyone in Star Wars), but it's something.

Last edited:
Admittedly the B-Wing does look cool, that is a nice graphic too by the way, my only problem though is I tend to gravitate towards symmetry in spaceship design. I remember as a kid it always seemed so strange to me how the Millennium Falcon cockpit sits on the side.

Any ideas for a practical reason towards non symmetrical spaceship design? Or is it purely for aesthetics?

I've been thinking about this a bit since I originally posted this response and I've come up with a potential reason.

I think it's reasonable to assume that a spaceships center mass is most likely to be struck by enemy fire first, with that being the case setting the cockpit off to the side could improve survival chance for the pilot(s), assuming there are fail safes in place to protect against the vacuum of space, and hoping the the ship doesn't explode catastrophically. Maybe kind of a stretch, (I don't recall it ever saving anyone in Star Wars), but it's something.

I kind of like the asymmetrical designs, precisely because I don't immediately see a reason for it. It makes me feel like there are some alien design influences at work, addressing issues with hyperspace dynamics I couldn't possibly know about. :giggle: I like your explanation, too. Speaking specifically of the B-Wing, the bulk of the spacecraft is supposed to rotate around the cockpit, apparently to reduce inertial forces affecting the pilot during maneuvers (I'm unconvinced this would make a meaningful difference.) It's not actually asymmetrical in shape, because when it unfolds its wings ("Lock S-Foils in attack position." :cool:) it rotates to put the cockpit on top.

I kind of like the asymmetrical designs, precisely because I don't immediately see a reason for it. It makes me feel like there are some alien design influences at work, addressing issues with hyperspace dynamics I couldn't possibly know about. :giggle: I like your explanation, too. Speaking specifically of the B-Wing, the bulk of the spacecraft is supposed to rotate around the cockpit, apparently to reduce inertial forces affecting the pilot during maneuvers (I'm unconvinced this would make a meaningful difference.) It's not actually asymmetrical in shape, because when it unfolds its wings ("Lock S-Foils in attack position." :cool:) it rotates to put the cockpit on top.

As far as my interpreting the B-wing as asymmetrical, it seems like more often then not you see them flying sideways, as in your image above. You can see the pilot sitting upright, with the ship of to his right. My first thoughts with a symmetrical craft would have them central (like a TIE fighter) or above center (like an X-Wing or A-Wing), but I suppose it is still symmetrical on one plane, which plane just depends on the ships orientation thanks to the rotating cockpit.

I like your explanation though. It's no secret that human brains are pattern seeking, and we find things like symmetry pleasing and orderly. Take away that symmetry and it truly does give it a sense of alien or unknown origin.

BWingsKillISD2-ST.jpg

Cool ! :cool:

They modified the Discovery a bit in the upcoming series . Its looks better.:)

Some of us preferred the really useful Thunderbird: Thunderbird 2 (also not a spaceship).

Back