WHAT Are Your Favorite Spaceships from Movies And Television?

as much as I like loads of TV/film space-ships I probably prefer the old '60s/'70s spaceships on SF book covers

eg
FoudationEmpireTWMflat.jpg

triton-book-cover.jpg

although not a book cover still in that same vein...

_54312434_foss_21horiz_624.jpg

That's the cover of the copy of Triton I read. To be honest I thought the cover was a bit poor. Zero to do with the content of the book for a start!

The ships in The Expanse are quite impressive. (y)

The Imperial Star Destroyer in the opening of the original Star Wars blew me away as an impressionable teenager. However I really like the brute-force engineering of the Earth Alliance destroyers in Babylon-5.

I was high up in the very back of the theater for the Twin Cities premiere of the first STAR WARS movie, and from that vantage point, it seemed to me that the Imperial Star Destroyer was passing above me, close over my head -- it took my breath away, and I've never forgotten it! Possibly the single most iconic image in SF film...

Please understand that I have no intention of disparaging the theme of this thread...I only want to comment that while I love and appreciate the work that many visual artists have created along this line (and which so many of you have reproduced here; my thanks for that!), I have to say that for me, science fiction lives in the images that formed in my head as/after I read words.
And from that point of view, I find that I am generally less intrigued by the shapes of ships as seen from outside, than with their interiors. Thus, I find C.J. Cherryh's Merchanter ships very interesting, and I spend time, every time I read or re-read one of those books, trying to visualize the ship involved. (For that matter, I would say the same thing about the various Stations featured in her books: the image in my head is bigger and better than anything that has made it into anyone's artwork.)

Dave Wixon

I was high up in the very back of the theater for the Twin Cities premiere of the first STAR WARS movie, and from that vantage point, it seemed to me that the Imperial Star Destroyer was passing above me, close over my head -- it took my breath away, and I've never forgotten it! Possibly the single most iconic image in SF film...

pity the rest of the film wasn't any good :)

Just thought of another iconic ship, from a film that didn't get the attention it should have - because it premiered (at least in the UK) within a week of Star Wars. This one:

[GALLERY=media, 1823]Close Encounters city ship by Mirannan posted May 26, 2016 at 6:56 AM[/GALLERY]

Please understand that I have no intention of disparaging the theme of this thread...I only want to comment that while I love and appreciate the work that many visual artists have created along this line (and which so many of you have reproduced here; my thanks for that!), I have to say that for me, science fiction lives in the images that formed in my head as/after I read words.
And from that point of view, I find that I am generally less intrigued by the shapes of ships as seen from outside, than with their interiors. Thus, I find C.J. Cherryh's Merchanter ships very interesting, and I spend time, every time I read or re-read one of those books, trying to visualize the ship involved. (For that matter, I would say the same thing about the various Stations featured in her books: the image in my head is bigger and better than anything that has made it into anyone's artwork.)

Dave Wixon

Norway FTW ;)

pity the rest of the film wasn't any good :)

In light of what filmed SF had been up to that time, it was magnificent!
Up until that first STAR WARS movie, I had eagerly sought out any kind of movie that appeared to be SF -- and always been disappointed. I was on the concomm for Minicon, and I recall how little our movie subcommittee had to choose from...

In light of what filmed SF had been up to that time, it was magnificent!

Totally agree. I was 16 when it first came out. Knocked my socks off. Still doesn't stop it from not really being all that good in hindsight. And it set the standard and thereby buggered up science fiction films for years, despite not actually being science fiction.

always loved the MF from Star Wars, and the Ha'tak ships from Stargate SG1...only with a ships lounge at the top of the pyramid... ;)

Damn! The 'MF'. I thought you meant 'motherf*cker' for a moment.

The MFing MF is, I have just discovered, incredibly easy to draw. Which is lucky 'cos I just had to draw it 4 times for this year's Christmas/card comic. (I'm planning ahead.)

Back