Films Loved by the Critics but not by You.

Yeah, I'd second the Martian.

A good example of by-the-book movie making in my opinion. Very disappointing as a rate Ridley Scott highly.

A couple of movies I like although not the critics: Disorganized Crime and Spaced Invaders.

Anything by Disney. Which I mean, originally their cartoons (and their terrible live action films). Anything they got their dirty little hands on after that, that was or could be good. say Pixar, Star Wars and all the other purchases....fine.

But really at the core it's all a load of old w***

Oh, and Braveheart.

Though, from what I hear, it was mostly American critics that liked it so much. The rest of the world did not take to it because, well, history.
I'm Scottish and I'm not keen on this historical travesty. The idiots here even built a statue of Wallace that looked like Gibson.
image.jpg

Best description I've heard of this is that it's nothing more than a 'porridge western'.

I'm Scottish and I'm not keen on this historical travesty. The idiots here even built a statue of Wallace that looked like Gibson.
View attachment 53470

Best description I've heard of this is that it's nothing more than a 'porridge western'.
I don't know about its historical accuracy (or lack thereof), but I loved the film!

Lincoln, Starring Daniel Day Lewis.
It left no impression on me. The acting was convincing enough, but the overall effect did not hook me in.

I suppose there are several - though I tend not to read what critics say - but for me, it would be the mother of them all...Citizen Kane.

It's not that I dislike the film or think it's bad, and I can appreciate the camera techniques/photography and certain bits of the direction, but I just can't see why it's regarded as one of the greatest films of all time. .

The Matrix, when it came out I remember saying it was a good film but give it a few years for the sfx to seem less amazing. Sure enough now it’s an ok film and it’s sequels just smack of how much money can we squeeze out of this.

I tend to agree - though I liked it. I actually preferred the second film but the third was dreadful.

I don't remember what the critics thought of it as a film per se, only that they were wowed by the sfx which, as you say, are now rather ordinary (and parodied).

The Matrix, when it came out I remember saying it was a good film but give it a few years for the sfx to seem less amazing. Sure enough now it’s an ok film and it’s sequels just smack of how much money can we squeeze out of this.

The Matrix hasn't aged all that well and It's been parodied so much that it's hard to even take the original film seriously anymore.

Critically-rated films I thought were terrible:

Anomalisa
2046 (the trailer made it look like an interesting sci-fi, but it's one of the most boring films I've seen)

Critically rated films that bored me:

Magnolia
Requiem for a Dream
The Hurt Locker
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Brazil
Ran
American Beauty
Amores Perros
The Departed (I much prefer the original)
Control
Ponyo
District 9
The Fault in Our Stars
What We Do in the Shadows
Lady Bird

Others I thought were average:

Goodfellas
The Dark Knight (I'm yet to watch the follow-up as a result)
My Neighbour, Totoro (I LOVE many Studio Ghibli films)
Little Miss Sunshine
Inside Out
The Producers (1967)
Run Lola Run
Reservoir Dogs
Chicken Run

Some rather controversial choices there, I know! It's interesting how much The Dark Knight crops up in this thread - I thought I was alone. Batman Begins is one of my favourite films.

It's good to know I'm not alone, @Vince W! Goodfellas is the sort of film I expected to like - I love a few critically-rated films of that ilk, including The Godfather (I haven't seen II & III yet).

Critically-rated films I thought were terrible:

Anomalisa
2046 (the trailer made it look like an interesting sci-fi, but it's one of the most boring films I've seen)

Critically rated films that bored me:

Magnolia
Requiem for a Dream
The Hurt Locker
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Brazil
Ran
American Beauty
Amores Perros
The Departed (I much prefer the original)
Control
Ponyo
District 9
The Fault in Our Stars
What We Do in the Shadows
Lady Bird

Others I thought were average:

Goodfellas
The Dark Knight (I'm yet to watch the follow-up as a result)
My Neighbour, Totoro (I LOVE many Studio Ghibli films)
Little Miss Sunshine
Inside Out
The Producers (1967)
Run Lola Run
Reservoir Dogs
Chicken Run

Some rather controversial choices there, I know! It's interesting how much The Dark Knight crops up in this thread - I thought I was alone. Batman Begins is one of my favourite films.
I love almost all of those films lol
Must say though, I'm with you on American Beauty. I immediately stopped taking the Oscars seriously when I found out that waste of photons won Best Picture.