Films Loved by the Critics but not by You.

Birdman.

I support a local film club, and regularly sit through some pretentious stuff, but this film, I hated. Not disliked, hated. With every fibre. An industry film for the industry, which should never have received a release. So cynical; purely designed to win an oscar, and push two or three people's prices up.

Birdman.

I support a local film club, and regularly sit through some pretentious stuff, but this film, I hated. Not disliked, hated. With every fibre. An industry film for the industry, which should never have received a release. So cynical; purely designed to win an oscar, and push two or three people's prices up.

The previews made me not want to see this film .

Forrest Gump
The Green Mile
Saving Private Ryan
(bar the first 20 minutes)

Common denominator - Tom Hanks

not saying he is a bad actor: far from it. He was pretty awesome in Apollo 13 and Castaway

I walked out after 20 minutes. I didn't often walk out on films but that was one. My Beautiful Laundrette was another. What a total waste of everything that was.

It's a tedious a film to watch.

Out of Africa 1985 I just could not get into this film.

The Fast and The Furious wasn't good at all. I can't comment on the latter 6 as i haven't seen them.

I think The Matrix, The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises are some of the most overrated films ever made. Not that they're bad: it's just that no film could ever live up to the obsessive adulation they get.

No Country for Old Men struck me as a lot of nothing. I'd also mention an older film, Bad Lieutenant, as being bewilderingly awful.

Glengarry Glen Ross 1992 Ive seen twice and on tv. The first time out of curiosity , the second time because there was nothing else on tv. I didn't like any of the characters nor the story and seeing it a second time didn't make for better viewing.

Why didn't I get involved with this last time round lol?

Absolutely and without doubt: The Blair Witch Project

The only positive was I went with a blind friend and only needed to audio describe one scene.

Glengarry Glen Ross 1992 Ive seen twice and on tv. The first time out of curiosity , the second time because there was nothing else on tv. I didn't like any of the characters nor the story and seeing it a second time didn't make for better viewing.

I don't think you were supposed to like them. I really rated Glengarry Glen Ross. But then I like most stuff I've seen or read by David Mammet - His Wilson: A Consideration of the Sources is one of the most bewilderingly funny books I have ever read.

I don't think you were supposed to like them. I really rated Glengarry Glen Ross. But then I like most stuff I've seen or read by David Mammet - His Wilson: A Consideration of the Sources is one of the most bewilderingly funny books I have ever read.

"Glengarry...." is one of my favourite films; never tire of watching it, especially after watching the stage play years earlier. Alec Baldwin's 10 minute "Always be Closing..." expletive-ridden tirade, was perhaps one of the most outstanding cameos ever!

"The Dark Knight" (2008) & "Inception" (2010)

Couldn't get into either of them. Decent films in their own right, but why all the fuss & praise from the critics is hard to fathom

The Master. My brother brought it over and it was excruciatingly boring. I told my brother it would have been better if it had been about the Dr Who villain instead of being a weak stab at Scientology. The fact that I am not a Phillip Seymour Hoffman fan didn't help either, the only good PSH role I can remember is when he was killed in Red Dragon. Ralph Fiennes ripping his tooth out was good, but setting him on fire and rolling him down the street in that wheelchair was the cherry on top.
That Lincoln movie Daniel Day Lewis was in. I usually like DDL, but this one was also a sedative of a movie. Basically I thought it was Lincoln re-imagined as Grandpa Simpson "Ya know, there was this one time back in 18 dickety-2...."
Later I caught the Lincoln Vampire Hunter version on cable and was surprised to find I actually enjoyed that much more than the DDL film. At least the vampire killing version of Lincoln did something, he didn't just sit and yammer on for the entire film.

Forest Gump - I seem to be in a large crowd here. It just loses me that one man can accomplish so much just by going with the flow. The book is even worse!

The Dark Knight - It's a good film but... I see a lot of people saying The Dark Knight Rises has a lot of problems, and it does, but The Dark Knight has just as many problems. People want to know how Batman got back to Gotham, what I'd like to know is how Batman always knows where Harvey Dent is! Apart from the warehouse scene, he's always there to stop him doing something bad, or save him from something even though there is no indication he knew he was in danger or was even anywhere near him! Gah!

Alien - OK, I've literally just watched this film for the first time this year. It wasn't bad per say, just... This is it?

I know it's a great film but, over been able ot makes though a showing of Chariots of Fire.

Pulp Fiction.

I liked it; it had some funny/fun moments in it. But when I hear how the director "brought it all together" at the end, I find myself retching.

NO, HE DID NOT BRING IT ALL TOGETHER!!

At the end of the movie, three totally separate stories culminated at the same SPOT, but only two interacted at all. We also don't know the end story of at least two of them.

Enjoyable? Yes. One of the best all-time movies? No. Pretentious? Oh, HELL Yes.

MIdnight Cowboy (1969) I felt sick after seeing this sewer filth, many years ago. I'd rather re-watch a cult classic, like the 1970 movie, Trog.

The Martian (2015) Sickeningly boring, and dreadfully predictable. The 1971 Canadian film, The Christmas Martian was far more interesting.

The Thomas Crown Affair (1968)

This is supposed to be a great romance/crime thriller, worth remaking? I didn't believe Steve McQueen as the super-rich guy who plots bank robberies just for fun for a minute, nor could I see him as a romantic figure when his crimes lead to innocent people getting shot, and could have resulted in deaths. Faye Dunaway is supposed to be this brilliant insurance investigator, but she figures out McQueen is the culprit through completely illogical means.

When Harry Met Sally (1989)

Not funny, not romantic, didn't believe the relationship for a single second, didn't like either lead character.

EDIT: I see I mentioned that one earlier. Must be my bete noir.