Films Loved by the Critics but not by You.

I love almost all of those films lol
Must say though, I'm with you on American Beauty. I immediately stopped taking the Oscars seriously when I found out that waste of photons won Best Picture.
The Oscars are a big con. This year, Netflix hired the most successful Oscar campaigner and permanently bought all the advertising boards along Sunset Boulevard for £millions, so they could advertise their own films and rivals could never use them (though on this occasion, the big spending failed). Eddie Redmayne pretty much bought his Oscar. There are other examples like that on this podcast: BBC Radio 4 - Beyond Today, Oscars: what do you really have to do to win?

The Oscars have been badly out of touch for most of my adult life. They're not about what movies people think are good. They're about what movies the people who make movies want other people to think they like. The last few years the Oscars have been stuffed with pretentious, snobby films that most people don't really enjoy. That's not to say that some of them don't have important messages or great acting but you need more than that to make a great movie. My perspective comes from running movie theaters and being there to see what kind of anticipation and/or excitement people have before going in to watch and comparing that with what they say when they come back out.

The Oscars have been badly out of touch for most of my adult life. They're not about what movies people think are good. They're about what movies the people who make movies want other people to think they like. The last few years the Oscars have been stuffed with pretentious, snobby films that most people don't really enjoy. That's not to say that some of them don't have important messages or great acting but you need more than that to make a great movie. My perspective comes from running movie theaters and being there to see what kind of anticipation and/or excitement people have before going in to watch and comparing that with what they say when they come back out.

I can't disagree with that at all. The Oscars show has also become too polical.

Darren Aronofsky's Pi was massively overrated.

Snowpiercer, while enjoyable for one watch was also overrated and the "social commentary" pretty overt. I expected more.

Citizen Kane, Titanic, Avatar.

On the opposite end I remember the first Jackass movie coming out and the reviews in the local paper by critics for that were terrible. I was like really? What... couldn't follow the plot? It's funny dude, laugh. It always stuck with me as the first time I realized the critics can be a little too pretentious.

I'll play the heretic. 2001. It had one great scene (the execution of HAL), a few good ones, and good effects for the time. I'll give it those. I had the advantage of having read the book. It's a good book, but anyone who claims they did NOT read the book first, or have it explained to them, and also claims to have understood the ending, well . . . I strongly suspect any person making such a claim of either self delusion or lying.

As a horror fan, I often find myself left "wanting" of horror films that garner the most praise from critics. For example, I found It Follows to be incredulous and silly, and I thought Hereditary was too slow with a ridiculous third act. Both of those I believe carry something around 90% on Rotten Tomatoes.

And since you folk were recently discussing Oscars, I finally got around to watching Moonlight, and I'm flabbergasted that it won Best Picture. I mean, I understand it from a "statement" sort of way, but goodness gracious was that movie hard to sit through, and I don't mean that in a good way.

I don't consider Rotten Tomatoes to be critical acclaim. It's populist rather than critical. I feel that critical acclaim is being film of the month in Empire or Total Film magazine or high praise from a critic in a broadsheet newspaper

I don't consider Rotten Tomatoes to be critical acclaim. It's populist rather than critical. I feel that critical acclaim is being film of the month in Empire or Total Film magazine or high praise from a critic in a broadsheet newspaper

in my humble opinion, critical acclaim is not singular, but rather plural. This could be just from my basic knowledge since I've known the term though, as if you search for critically acclaimed movies, you come up with movies that multiple critics had very good things to say about, not just a particular movie that was featured in one magazine or given a review in one newspaper.

just my take personally, but I understand your sentiment as well. If one critic raves about it, it would still technically count as critical acclaim from their perspective.

Arrival 2016 got raves , I hated the lead character Dr Loiuse Bank and hated the story.

The Barbie Movie
Just saw it. Every moment of the film I wondered when there was going to be a sense of a story. It had the same impact for me as a typical PowerPoint presentation. A series of vaguely related scenes set side by side. And none of the scenes felt like the interactions of real people. That may have been the point. But it wasn't enjoyable to me.

Only one scene felt "real" to me. That is one scene in the entire movie felt to me like real individuals interacting with each other -- the scene at the school lunch table. It was actually pretty great watching tweens telling Barbie off. --- And even that scene has the most basic problem that schools in LA don't let random adults wander onto campus.