It's September. What are you reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've started China Miéville's The City & The City. It's not what I expected, but as I haven't gotten very far at this point it may yet be.

I've started China Miéville's The City & The City. It's not what I expected, but as I haven't gotten very far at this point it may yet be.
I had some difficulty with the beginning, too, not least as I didn't understand the physical lay out at that point.
Oooh I've got this one on my TBR pile. I'll keep an eye out for what you make of it.
I enjoyed it. From my book non-blog at the time:
It's very different from the squiddy wordiness of Kraken, and I liked the matter-of-factness and decency of the first person narrator – a police inspector in a fractured East European city. The constant teasers in the opening chapters regarding the other city which physically occupies much the same space became a bit irritating, and I was annoyed he never bothered to explain how it came about, nor how the Breach is funded, nor what all the Precursor stuff was, plus in line with Mieville's politics it was inevitable who some of the baddies were going to be, but overall I enjoyed it.

Finished Elizabeth Street by Laurie Fabiano, --- This is a very solid historical novel. It is a meticulously researched story based on a true story in her family. I enjoyed learning of the life in Little Italy at the turn of the 20th century. I am now loading up The Life of Pi at Vertigo's recommendation. A story that will "make you believe in God" can't be all bad. Can it?

I really like "Life of Pi". Its very thought provoking, and looks at various aspects of life in a different way than I have seen presented before.

Finished The Demolished Man and yes, very much enjoyed it. The telepathy stuff was really awesome and so well done, with the layout of the patterns.

Thanks to the suggestions from my investigatory thread -- and a book that looks popular here in this thread! -- I'm reading The City and the City, too, and enjoying it. Mieville certainly is a writer that keeps you running along to keep up with everything and only deals out information when it's good and ready. Also love the very natural feeling dialogue, complete with breaks and repetition. It's the slowest I've read a book in a while and I think it is the whole not-explaining-things-because-the-characters-know-and-so-wouldn't, and so trying to piece it together myself.

Just under halfway through and about to go over to the other side ;)

Finished The Uncrowned King by Rowena Cory Daniella. It was fast paced light fantasy..not really my taste theses days but it didn't take long.

On to The Broken Eye by Brent Weeks. I'm looking forward to this one!

I am now loading up The Life of Pi at Vertigo's recommendation. A story that will "make you believe in God" can't be all bad. Can it?

It is a good book and I hope that you enjoy it. It is significantly about the ability of the human spirit to survive and find beauty in appalling circumstances. As far as I recall it is secular in its tone and content, but I can understand why some people have found a spiritual aspect to the novel.

Well, I couldn't finish the third in Kate Locke's Immortal Empire series. I got sick of the author projecting too much of her (RL) personal life wishlist onto the character - if I hear another snippet of how great and understanding her werewolf boyfriend is...

anyway, on recommendation (I forget where) I bought Ark Royal by Christopher Nuttall. Its a cheap kindle book, self published maybe. Military sci-fi, you can see that the author is ex-Navy himself. Its a little rough around the edges and some of the characterisation is a little poor, but a nice change of pace and good for some light reading so far.

It is a good book and I hope that you enjoy it. It is significantly about the ability of the human spirit to survive and find beauty in appalling circumstances. As far as I recall it is secular in its tone and content, but I can understand why some people have found a spiritual aspect to the novel.

Actually that quote "it will make you believe in God" is a direct code from the author's note at the beginning of the book, when he tells about how he came to hear the story of Pi.

Continuing my reading of Cabell's "Biography of the Life of Manuel". Finished The Certain Hour (story collection) and have now begun the next novel, The Cords of Vanity....

anyway, on recommendation (I forget where) I bought Ark Royal by Christopher Nuttall. Its a cheap kindle book, self published maybe. Military sci-fi, you can see that the author is ex-Navy himself. Its a little rough around the edges and some of the characterisation is a little poor, but a nice change of pace and good for some light reading so far.

I see this come up all the time on my kindle searches, I've been a bit leery of the series, but it is certainly priced low enough that I may give it a chance.

I might have been the one to recommend Ark Royal. I think its a fun read with a pretty interesting premise.

Just finished the last two books in Cinda Williams Chima's Seven Realms series (thanks again to Hex for the rec).

Reread Sanderson's The Rithmatist, as I just bought a copy (had read library copy, but it's so good I wanted one for the home library - I think my kids will love it!)

Also just read Benedict Jacka's new Alex Verus novel, Hidden. He digs much deeper into Alex's character in this one, loved it.

Local library has lots of new ebooks so I tried Anne Rice's Wolf Gift, which was okay but I got a little tired of the graphic death descriptions. Don't think I'll read the next.

Juliana, check out the copy I just got!
IMG_20140906_184645.jpg

He went to Calgary a couple weeks ago and I saw it on FB so my brother (who is a fan as well) took all his stuff and got it signed and met him. I was lucky enough to get him to pick a copy of something up at the Bookstore first for me.

I think it's time to branch out. I have Mistborn Hardcopy signed all ready and the Memory of Light massive picture on my wall signed by him and the artist.

Finished Madaddam by Margaret Atwood. What a glorious trilogy full of heart and soul. I'm gonna miss spending time in her world and hanging out with Snowman-The-Jimmy and Toby.

Onto Lions of Al-Rassan. I'm excited for this one!

Status
Not open for further replies.