Thoughts on fan fiction/roleplaying fiction (especially for a new writer)?

Michael Colton

I am wondering what people's thoughts are on writing fan fiction. Both in general and as it relates to a brand new writer. Do you think it would stifle the creativity and learning of a new writer such as myself? Or perhaps help get one past some of the hurdles and hesitations by dealing with material that one is already comfortable with?

And by fan fiction I am referring to the use of the world setting someone else created but with one's own characters, but I would also be curious as to thoughts on fan fiction in general. I have no experience either writing or reading the sort of fan fiction that writes stories about someone else's characters, but instead am referring to the writing of stories set in roleplaying universes that already exist. Writing stories related to roleplaying characters has been my only experience writing fiction throughout my life and is what has given me the courage to delve into writing fiction in a more broad sense. I find myself more comfortable with my previous milieu as I begin to take writing more seriously. I quite love some of my characters over the years and the personality and histories I have given them, but they are all rather wrapped up in the roleplaying world in which they were created or from which they were inspired.

Do you think it would be a crutch or hindrance to write in such a way as I am beginning? Or could the development of myself as a writer happen with that sort of writing as long as it is taken seriously?

Personally I do not have a problem with fan fiction. I would say it can be both positive and negative with regards to creativity though. On one hand if something inspires you to write then it can't be all bad, however, it can be a double edged sword. Simply because you are not creating a world of your own, fan fiction requires you to understand the laws of the world you 'borrow' and fandoms can be harsh places.

A small mistake can lead to some colourful exchanges with 'experts'. This in turn could damage ones confidence, I am of course not saying don't do it (I am sure must of us have in one way or another; my fandom of choice was Star Trek) I am merely saying it can be both good and bad.

I beleive in the school of thought that is "Write what you know and love." And FF is great for that. Ultimately anything that makes you write is good.

My 14 yo, who is quickly turning into a pretty decent little writer (no,no, no insane jealousy here) writes and reads fan fiction about Ferris Bueller. I've no problem with it. Her stories are creative and fun, she's enjoying them and she's writing. Each story takes her further down the road and she improves.

Writing is about enjoyment, first and foremost. If someone doesn't enjoy it and is still slogging away at something which will almost certainly never pay a decent wage, then they're (pardon the local lingo) buck-eejits. The snobs may say differently, that it's an art form and what not, but it's not. It's a fulfilling hobby, and it might be a job for some, but if it's not enjoyable, it's nothing important.

So, if a new writer wants to write fan fiction, why not? After all 50 shades of Grey came from fan fiction and, whilst we might turn our noses up and point out how grim the writing is, I'd take her paycheck very happily.

Ps just a thought - what happens if those characters get out of their role playing setting? Is there a story in that....

Fan fiction can definitely be a useful creative outlet, it can also foster a love of reading and writing. Springs's 14-year-old is one example among tens of thousands. But it's also something to be careful with. While you're flexing many of the same muscles writing fan fiction as you would writing original fiction, you're not flexing all of them. Coming up with your own worlds, universes, settings, characters, relationships, etc largely aren't in most fan fictions. Sure, some do all those things, but the more they do, the less they're based on the source material, so it's something of a catch-22. You could always take the Fifty Shades of Grey route and write up your fan fiction then change all the names and fiddle with the setting / file off the serial numbers, though the characterization issue will largely still be there.

I find something similar with media tie-in books. When the writer and audience are dealing with really well-known characters, with well-established backgrounds, mannerisms, attitudes, etc, the books seem to lay off much needed characterization. It's simply lacking in a lot of the tie-ins I've read at least. Characters who are new to that book are established of course, but long-standing characters are just glossed over. I'm talking mostly about Trek, Wars, and Who here as that's the limit of my experience, so if your fandom does a better job with that in its novelizations, more power to you.

If it helps, go for it. But don't stay there too long. Flex your creative muscles and write your own stuff too.

I've got to say that I don't see the point of fanfic, especially for a beginning writer. I can understand that writing in someone else's world might seem easier, or would allow the writer to concentrate on certain aspects, because the others are already there, but I'm not sure that there is an easy way into writing. Sooner or later, you have to do all the difficult stuff, and it's best to take the stabilisers off the bike as soon as possible. Admittedly, I did start writing by imitating things that I'd read or seen, but always tried to make them my own, which I think is a good habit to get into. Besides, much of the fanfic that I hear about seems to involve the characters doing things that they wouldn't so in the actual books (not as in having new adventures, but in making decisions that they wouldn't), so I can't really see why you wouldn't make your own people up and have the satisfaction of knowing that they're yours and yours alone.

Write-ups of roleplaying games might be a different business. For one thing, RPG settings are designed specifically to allow people to make up stories in them, and will often be open-ended while covering all the bases quite well. The Dragonlance books were write-ups of actual RPG sessions. It sometimes shows, and not in a good way, but I can't see why it couldn't work.

Anyway, writing well in someone else's setting actually isn't that easy at all, and might be a skill of its own (which wouldn't be much use when writing totally original work). I've written a Warhammer 40,000 novel (paperback this November, makes a great stocking filler etc!) and that was surprisingly difficult, despite the fact that the 40K setting is deliberately extremely open-ended. The difficulty was not so much getting the technology or the characters right, as the overall tone of the novel. For someone used to writing humour, writing in that world without parodying it was very tricky.

Overall, it might well suit certain people. I agree with Fishbowl on this: feel free to give it a go, just don't get stuck there.

Last edited:
I ageee about making it the sole thing you do limiting creativity. But I'm not sure anyone who was really keen on being a writer would do so - at some point some character's going to knock the inside of your head and go, 'Oi!' ;)

In the case of my daughter, she writes original stuff a lot and uses the fan fiction as a chill our and enjoy. On that level, I see no harm in it.

Ps just a thought - what happens if those characters get out of their role playing setting? Is there a story in that....

Others have suggested this to me before (folks I know from the setting) and I think it is more doable with the setting in question than many others because it is science fiction. With the exception of a couple pieces of very distinctive technology the setting uses, most of the factions are severe archetypes and most of the technology is fairly standard for science fiction. So the characters might be transportable in the sense that the past driving forces for them are fairly standard ones that would be able to be written into a new setting. (Also, one of these characters is staring at you from my avatar. Hehe.)

If it helps, go for it. But don't stay there too long. Flex your creative muscles and write your own stuff too.

This was my initial thought before posting this. Do it, but do not get stuck doing it. Besides the ease of characters I have already made and having a setting already established, part of it is a sort of feeling of being compelled. There are stories with this characters I have not told but desperately want to. I just have this lingering thought in my head of "what is the point" since it is someone else's setting.

Anyway, writing well in someone else's setting actually isn't that easy at all, and might be a skill of its own (which wouldn't be much use when writing totally original work). I've written a Warhammer 40,000 novel (paperback this November, makes a great stocking filler etc!) and that was surprisingly difficult, despite the fact that the 40K setting is deliberately extremely open-ended. The difficulty was not so much getting the technology or the characters right, as the overall tone of the novel. For someone used to writing humour, writing in that world without parodying it was very tricky.

Overall, it might well suit certain people. I agree with Fishbowl on this: feel free to give it a go, just don't get stuck there.

This resonated with me because the setting is one that is well-known within its community for being extremely dark - as is 40K. So there may be a certain amount of effort involved trying to portray the tone of the setting rather than letting the characters grow.
____​

I think I may ponder trying to transport or re-imagine the characters outside of the setting as Springs suggested while also continuing them in the current setting. I had begun to try to get a completely original short story going last week, but I feel this sort of compelling drive to work with these characters. So many stories with them that I have always wanted to tell but never have. They are those characters in my head that in any given situation or circumstance I am in or see on television or read in a book, I am always thinking of how they would respond or react in that moment. The little buggers have wormed into my brain as it were.

PS - I love the new multiquote. Very easy to structure comprehensive responses to multiple people.

I find it very difficult to write really good fan fiction. It's far easier to make up a story than to deal with someone else's baggage and restraints.

Having said that I found it a very interesting exercise as it highlighted my strengths and weaknesses.

I guess I can't argue the merits of fan fiction; but I'm not a fan of it myself. I far prefer that at best, elements are borrowed or influenced by the source's one loves.

Roleplay fiction, turning away from fan fiction, is a different matter, but such usually winds up turning into games, which is fine.

What's REALLY disturbing, though, is erotic fan fiction...*shudders* Especially since THAT tripe is exactly that-tripe. Poorly written, horrid grammar, fantasy fulfillment at its extreme, and nothing left to the imagination.

Roleplay fiction, turning away from fan fiction, is a different matter, but such usually winds up turning into games, which is fine.

In this particular case they are characters from games that I no longer have people to roleplay with - so writing fiction about the characters has become my replacement. :p

Yes, but that isn't technically the same as fan fiction. It is, though, as well.

Agreed. I included both fan fiction and roleplaying fiction in my post because they both utilize significant material not created by the person writing. But yes, they are not the same.

Speaking of roleplaying, I wouldn't mind starting a D&D STYLE campaign with someone, though I don't have D&D rulebooks or anything. I would either have to GM my own world and follow what I know best of D&D, or let someone GM theirs and let me be a character.

I prefer one on one sessions, to be honest, though in the last one I did, I, being the GM, also played the rest of the party and made the rolls for them.

I think fan fiction is good exercise in writing much the same as would be taking a popular book and retyping it into a file on your computer. There is a lot to be said toward learning about writing from just typing sections of someones work to get the feel for the style. It might be considered much the same to work within someones predefined world and learning how to adhere to that worlds rules. It helps build a respect for having defined rules within the world building.

I know a few authors who I've read that started out with the fan fiction and fanzines and moved on to their own work. It's a given that once they reach a certain point they will give up the fan fiction and then move on to writing their own or quit entirely. [I know of many who quit.]

Regardless; it is still a good way to learn writing.

I started writing from a dream diary. Also an interesting option. Then moved to Skyped DnD, which runs a bit diffrent from table top in that we had two threads of conversation; Out of Character, where we rolled, cast, jabbered like the good friends we all were... and In Character, where one converted the results of ones rolls into co-authered story voiced multi-first/ close third.
for example: in one game the character next to me was close to death (I was a bard healer) and a npc had just failed an attack of opertunity, i agrued with the DM that if an npc could roll an attack of op, I could take that same op and roll a Heal of Opertunity (In the end I had to roll my charasma against the DM to do it, but I won the roll) so in the In Character thread I reached out a steadying hand sending healing energy into my flagging companion. He then posted about how my gesture filled him with new energy, and it was the wizards turn. (Unfortunately he died because I couldn't get to him before the fire he was sending at the dragon consumed him too. Luckily he was undead to begin with so he was able to come back to unlife reasonably quickly.)

From there I moved back to the Dream Diary, but this time drawing from it to write completed stories not dictation from my unconscious mind that often ended abruptly ether from an alarm clock or cold sweat.
This has been a whole new ball of fun! As I just realized I can add to the beginning as well as the end of the dictation I scribble down upon awakening.

I would add Dream Diary to your list of writer introductions as it incorperates elements of the two in your thread title; sticking to predefined characters, settings, ect
And yet is from ones own mind and imagination (though I have a few entries I would hate to claim)
And unlike the above mentioned requires details be clearly defined for the reader in later edits.

I mean, it's fine for me to put "me and mom in the old laundry room arguing about my cat" in the dictation, I know everything in that scene from those few words. But when I go back and write it out for a friend or to post to my blog, I would expand the scene; My mom and I are standing in a small room of the front entry, with afternoon sun dancing in the dust as she sorts 6 peoples (4 of them small dirty children) laundry and berates me about my cat peeing in my bed again. I roll my eyes while hers inspect mud-speckled jeans deciding if they need a pre-washing, its not my fault the cat pees everywhere. He's a kitten, and besides, the room already smells of urin from my younger siblings lack of bladder control.
The jeans do in fact need pre-washing and while her back is turned I make my esacpe out the front door behind me, up the drive and out into the streat where I feel I can breath.
My cat, who always seems to sence my emotions, and turns up when I need him most, ghosts up behind me and it makes me smile to know there is someone in the world who loves me.

Quite a difference in word count, but to me they read the same.

Hi,

I don't have a problem with fan fiction. I've even written some (Star Trek of course) - though never with the thought of publishing it. I think people can grow as writers writing fan fiction. Maybe it does limit your skill set development as far as world building goes, but I suspect that's something that a true writer will overcome in time by themselves as new ideas come to them.

For me the thing that worries me most about this subject is the view that some people are writing fan fiction as a sort of lazy way of getting into writing - i.e. they don't have to invest time and thought into world building. The other view that bothers me a little is that many seem to regard fan fiction writers as trying to piggy back on the success of other writers' work. And maybe there is an element of truth in that for a few. But in my view for the most part these views are completely wrong. People write fan fiction because they fall in love with the world.

For me one of the dreams I have in writing is one day to rewrite the endings for Voyager and Enterprise so that they don't suck! (I suspect I might not get permission to publish them though!)

Cheers, Greg.

So, fan fiction comes in many guises. It can be as close to the original as writing an additional scene for an already existing work, or as far from it as a complete re-telling of (say) The Tempest in a futuristic setting. China Mieville's "Railsea" is Moby Dick fan-fiction, as well as being an original work. It's a very blurred line between original fiction and fan-fiction, without even getting into "official tie-in" stuff.

What writing fan fiction gives you, which I think is particularly useful, is a small but already established audience. You can find people who want to read your work, and will tell you what they liked about it, and in some cases what they didn't.

I wrote fanfiction. Well, sort of. It was more like fiction about myself, but I made good things happen to me instead of bad. This was back in middle school when I was bullied so badly that I contemplated suicide on a pretty regular basis. The only way I had to really work through that was to write stories about me being victorious over my bullies. So, maybe that was RL fanfic?

I also wrote RPG fiction. Nothing huge, just character histories. And I created campaigns which included some scrolls and short pieces.

I would say that these things absolutely contributed to my writing life. Perhaps not in terms of increasing skill, but perhaps in showing me that I could be prolific and confirming that I really loved doing it.

This was all back before the internet, though. Had I grown up with the internet, I might have contributed to the fan fiction community, yes. And getting positive feedback and encouragement from fanfic readers might have pushed me to better myself. It's hard to say. I definitely think it's possible, though.

There isn't any downside to writing of any kind if it inspires you.

Maybe its not going to flex the creative muscle in the same way as creating your own world, but its not going to hurt you.

I write star wars fan fic now and then myself.