Bioluminescence and other cheap tech

AlexanderSen

Cosmic Ghost
I am currently working on a scifi ebook about population control. It has a poor squatter settlement which uses alternative forms of technology. I wanted to give them more cheap inexpensive forms of technology which would be used in contrast and in place of the more expensive technology used by the rich metropolis neighboring it.

I was trying to think of cheap innovative technologies to incorporate such as Bioluminescence and Chemiluminescence. I thought they could be cheaper to use Chemiluminescence which could regulate themselves and use up less energy than normal electrical signs.

Does anyone know of any other cheap innovative technologies and orideas of how Chemiluminescence would work in as more commercial aspect? I guess there are those glow sticks. :D

With ordinary chemiluminescence and bioluminescence, you need to replenish the chemicals/biological cultures which I think would make them more expensive in the long run than a rickety diesel generator and some old lamps. They also give off less light than electrical light. You could make bio work by saying that there was some GM organism that luminesces that escaped into the ecosystem and now there just happens to be this glowing slime everywhere already, which could work.

What about some kind of paint that can absorb infrared and glow at night?
Remember those glowing kids toys?
Might even be able to still get infrared at night

You'd just splash it all over wall or mix it into normal paint.

Hi,

Bioluminescence is relatively easy if you have the right cultures. You just add sugar and let them glow! But it certainly would never provide the same amount of lux as an electric light.

For the rest my thought would be that you'd be looking at a variety of techs. Wind power for example. Lot's of people with their own set ups, as they are found on many farms since it's easier and cheaper than running wires and they're relatively easy to build. The odd solar panel here and there. Probably scavanged from scrapheaps of the advanced culture. Wind up radio's etc. Heat from fires instead of electric heaters. Cooking the same way. Maybe a steam boiler here and there. And you might want to consider things like oil lanterns, since you can grow your own oil. You can also grow your own diesel if need be.

Given the scenario you outlined, the one thing I wouldn't expect of this group would be an organised power grid. Building and maintaining such things requires considerable resources.

Cheers, Greg.

I seen a video back a while ago of innovative technology coming from the third world. There was a boy who used junk and scrap parts to build a radio, I think, among other things. It was quite cool. I dunno what I did with the video but I was hoping to find more ideas like that. It was kind of like Steampunk but with junk. :)

I don't know how I could develop it further, but I have been mulling over it.

Only the case would have been made out of junk. It's only possible to build a fairly useless un-powered "crystal radio" from Junk other than un-soldered parts from broken radio sets. I've been making radios out of other radio junk since 1967.

Innovation happens at hi-tech companies and universities in countries that people might think as "third world".

Wind & Water power generation and water pumping. You can use water flowing to pump a smaller amount "uphill" for irrigation. The 'Hanging gardens" of ancient babylon may have used a long Archimedes screw (not invented by him) to lift water to the top, which would be driven by a paddle.

Panels made out of scrap for water heating on a roof. You don't need glass. A tank on top of roof will heat by convection from water in an ordinary panel radiator or car/truck radiator painted black. It's only in cooler climates the glass lid is important.

India in late 1970s made parabolic satellite receiving dishes for Educational TV (870MHz approximately) by digging an appropriate shaped hole and lining it with chicken wire. This is too rough and open for modern TV satellites (10,000MHz to 24,000MHz) but can collect 400x signal focused on to a "set top" aerial in the pit.

In 1980s some inland Irish hill tops used large free standing chicken wire mesh dishes supported by telegraph poles to pick up N.I. or Welsh UK TV in 470MHz to 860MHz band. A regular TV aerial on a pole at the focus. A short distance away a pole with hut of electronics would have a 2nd TV aerial to rebroadcast to the village or town below.

Kenya now has better broadband than Ireland as it's cheap to lay fibre. Some African countries have Mobile & fibre broadband entirely financed and installed by Chinese in exchange for resources or even rice!

Last edited:
I find it an interesting take on things, as it's necessary in the developing world where resources are in high demand. But it's hard to develop innovative technology from old junk as it's seems like just a toned done version of more modern tech. Junk tech seems like an unprofitable venture as you don't know what parts you can find and you might not even get the parts you need. Of course it's useful in saving resources and if you don't have enough money you can still find a way to build what you want, but if it's available modern mass manufacturer stuff seems much more useful and advantageous. It usually functions more steadily, and is easily replaceable. Thus junk tech just a poor man's stop gap solution. But it does have cool factor to it, and IRL I have noticed that people have gotten a lot better with things like art with found objects or creating art from junk that it looks a lot less junky than before, though doing so does take away from it's air of scrappiness.

There have been a lot of great creative innovations developed with first world knowledge for the third world such as this drinkable book.