Help: alien invasion novel!

Shans789

Read this when I was a kid, so pre 2000 i think. It may be a trilogy but can't remember for certain. This is pretty much all I can remember:

Set in the future, Aliens invade earth and easily beat the defences because they all have individual force fields which deflect humans guns lasers.

Turns out the force fields don't stop conventional weapons such as bullets or arrows.

I think there's a scene where an alien gets crushed and dies, and another one where a man is practising with a bow and arrow, aiming down a corridor. As he looses the bow, the door at the end of the corridor opens and an alien gets hit by the arrow.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Aspects of this sound like Poul Anderson's "The High Crusade", in that the invading aliens are protected from energy weapons, but not the swords and arrows of the 14th century knights. It not set in the future, though, but in 1345. This is a familiar SF trope however - the "easily thwarted alien invasion" trick - it goes back to War of the Worlds.

EDIT addition: Two other thoughts - look these up:
Alan Dean Foster - A Call to Arms
John Ringo's books about the Posleen invasion of Earth, perhaps.

I once read a book called "Come Hunt An Earthman" by Philip High that had this sort of plot. An alien empire had conquered Earth and used it for hunting trips. It was like the French Resistance meets Predator.

This is the Hood’s Army trilogy by Nathan Elliott. The first book was appropriately titled Earth Invaded (1986)

Back