Delete key auto-repeating

HareBrain

Smeerp of Wonder
Staff member
Supporter
For the last couple of months, whenever I hit the delete key on my PC keyboard (PC running Windows 7 Home Premium) there's about a 1-in-5 chance that it will work twice. But only twice -- the true auto-repeat kicks in after a significant pause. And it's only the delete key. It's really annoying to have to keep fishing emails back out of the deleted items folder. Anyone else had this, or any ideas what might cause or fix it?

Try a different keyboard to see if dirt or software.

I have box of them in the attic. You're welcome to one and a cup of tea if you are passing.

Good idea! I think there's one under a ton of rubbish in the cellar. (And thanks for the tea offer.)

Weirdness ...

I took the key off. It's an old-style clickety keyboard, so underneath was the thingummajig with a protruding cross-shaped bit onto which the key-cap fits. No sign of any dirt. I kept pressing directly on the cross-shaped bit, trying to get the double-delete to happen, and it wouldn't. Nor has it happened since. But I can't see what I could have changed just by taking the key-cap off.

Anyway, it seems to be fixed, so yay. And thanks.