Who Do You Think Are The Most Neglected and Forgotten Writers?

How about, erm, Dennis Shryack?
Seriously though - he was a screenwriter I think - I don’t think he wrote SF did he? He was a singer first according to google.

Last edited:
Eric Frank Russell seems to be forgotten by the masses. One of my favorites and several current authors, Bujold, Cherryh, and Gaiman amongst others, cite his influence. I'm working on collecting most of his titles in first edition.

Attachments

• 20200131_075343.jpg
    20200131_075343.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 53
Eric Frank Russell seems to be forgotten by the masses. One of my favorites and several current authors, Bujold, Cherryh, and Gaiman amongst others, cite his influence. I'm working on collecting most of his titles in first edition.

Ive read one book by him The Great Explosion terrific and in places, hilariously funny.:cool:

John Brunner
William Hope Hodgson (though I think he's slowly getting rediscovered)

I completely concur with C.L. Moore (haven't read enough Kuttner or "Lewis Padgett" to include them - I didn't think Fury was that great when I read it), Edgar Pangborn, if only for Davy, which is my favourite post-apocalypse novel easily, and Algis Budrys.

On older fantasy - I am only just 40, and I've managed to work back to T.H. White, E.R. Eddison, George MacDonald etc. I think things got worse for fantasy with the predominance of Tolkienesque epic fantasy, but I feel like things are diversified more now, and as long as people like Lovecraft and Le Guin are popular, people will hear about who they like, and will work their way back - in fact, Neil Gaiman is kind of a one-man machine for this, which I appreciate him for. In fact, I picked up on Cordwainder Smith because the collection I looked at had an endorsement by Terry Pratchet on the back of it, now I think about it!

Also
John Brunner

p.s.
John Brunner

John Brunner
William Hope Hodgson (though I think he's slowly getting rediscovered)

I completely concur with C.L. Moore (haven't read enough Kuttner or "Lewis Padgett" to include them - I didn't think Fury was that great when I read it), Edgar Pangborn, if only for Davy, which is my favourite post-apocalypse novel easily, and Algis Budrys.

On older fantasy - I am only just 40, and I've managed to work back to T.H. White, E.R. Eddison, George MacDonald etc. I think things got worse for fantasy with the predominance of Tolkienesque epic fantasy, but I feel like things are diversified more now, and as long as people like Lovecraft and Le Guin are popular, people will hear about who they like, and will work their way back - in fact, Neil Gaiman is kind of a one-man machine for this, which I appreciate him for. In fact, I picked up on Cordwainder Smith because the collection I looked at had an endorsement by Terry Pratchet on the back of it, now I think about it!

Also
John Brunner

p.s.
John Brunner

Under older writers you might Clark Ashton Smith , Seabury Quinn , Francis Stevens , Abraham Merritt and Karl Edward Wagner , Gardner Francis Fox . :)

The Lost Continent by C J Cutcliffe Hynd The first Fantasy novel about Atlanist ever written . Its terrific ! :cool:
Lest Darkness Fall by L Sprague De Camp A 20th century historian named Martin Padway while visiting Rome gets hit with bolt of lightning and, find himself in 6th Century Rome . This now is a classic and a fun read. :cool:

Last edited:
I would like to read some of Aldiss' Poetry. If I Can find it. I read that he was friends with JG Ballard .

There are too many writers, some of them must be neglected.