I am searching for a title. . .

warners5

A New York Guy
The book, written in the 1960s or very early 70s, is about a post-apocalyptic time where bodies are unnecessary and brains are kept in drawers.

It's like the embodiment of the song "In the Year 2525."

Thanks.

A lot of people I know do keep their brains in their Drawers.

Common theme of brains or souls or essense tucked away in vaults or such just like the soul-hunters on B5.

This sounds familiar but I'm not getting a good vibe on it just yet.

Moving this to the Book Search forum, where the greatest minds gather to feast upon such juicy conundrums.

I wonder if this might be Friends Come in Boxes (1973) by Michael G. Coney.

The problem of immortality was solved in the 21st century: at forty, your brain was transferred to the head of a six month old child. Thus you gained another forty years of active life, untl you could do it all over again. But then the birthrate fell, and a growing horde of brains waited in the Friendship Boxes for host bodies...

I wonder if this might be Friends Come in Boxes (1973) by Michael G. Coney.

A short story with a similar concept (also by Coney) is "The Sharks of Pentreath":

Coney proposes a 1 year out of 3 solution, with 2 years spent safely stowed away vicariously enjoying dangerous activities delegated to ‘remoters’ – metal boxes on legs.

Pentreath is a Cornish fishing village paying host to coachloads of remoter tourists. One ‘remoter’ couple are paying a return visit, having holidayed there in ‘real life’ many years previously. One of the locals who makes his living from the faux attraction is given food for thought by these lovers.

Back