Does anyone know what book I'm talking about

antoinetinnion

When I was a teen in the mid 80s, I read a sci-fi novel which I can hardly remember anything about except (1) there was a detective involved (it may or may not have been sci-fi noir) (2) at certain points in the story, the story moved from typed words on a page to large drawings which filled the page, several pages in a row, before reverting to traditional text narrarative. I'm sure the drawing reference will jog someone's recollection. Anyone got a clue what the book was?

Not a clue! But I'll move this over to Book Search where we house our most learned members who love to get their teeth into conundrums of this kind!

Hello there! Not sure if this could be it, but Alfred Bester's 1950s novel The Demolished Man sounds like a candidate-book...it has a detective story, and though it's been years since I've read it, I remember there were breaks in the story for some oddly-cool special effects...can't remember if they were pictures or manipulated words (or words manipulated to form pictures). Hope this is the one! CC